Dr. Jeffrey Hartford MD Patient Reviews

3.3
  • 7 reviews

July 27th, 2015
BET hemorrhoid removal
Very disappointed with the surgery. I figured I would remove hemorrhoids while undergoing a colonoscopy. No difference at all with the 'BET' hemorrhoi ...

July 13th, 2015
Great doctor, Hunterdon Medical Center lacks privacy for their patients.
Humiliating to be waiting in a giant room with other patients right next to you (and across the room to stare at ) , with everybody listening to your private answers asked by the nurses prior to surgery. It felt like a cattle farm, NO DRAPES , absolutely no discretion for the patients. Very disappointed. Also, I waited an HOUR in the waiting room (be there by 10, surgery at 11) . The waiting room was full, and I did not get CALLED IN until 11 am !! ( surgery time) . I then had to wait almost another HOUR to be wheeled in for surgery. This was awful considering no food since the day before at noon. I overheard nurses congratulating Dr. Hartford on his new grandchild, so i'm assuming that is the reason he was late getting to his surgeries. VERY late. Again, no privacy laying there in a sheet waiting with what seemed like 10 other people all waiting . I heard more than I cared to from the patient laying very close to me (no curtains), and she heard mine as well. Embarrassing and I will not be back for these reasons alone. Dr. Hartford is a good doctor, however, all the rest was terrible and the follow up was with a nurse who is the one who calls to tell you the outcome of the colonoscopy. I feel like I now know what cattle feels like.
Doctor's Response

I am sorry you felt uncomfortable in the endoscopy lab, but am not sure why you would feel humiliated. Everyone there was present for the same reason and while there are curtains on the sides of each "prep" bed between patients, it is true you are not surrounded. The patients across from you are sleeping in recovery and not really taking in much but we realize it is not a perfect situation. Because there is such a large number of patients that need to have screening colonoscopies, it is hard to maintain complete privacy/isolation but we are trying to improve things in any way we can so we take concerns like this to heart. My grandson was born 9/17/2014 so I am not sure what they would have been congratulating me on in July of 2015, other than perhaps he was walking. But that certainly did not delay anything. Your assumption that we were running almost an hour behind because I was "very late" arriving would be extraordinarily unlikely. Much more likely is that one or more of the six or seven cases scheduled before yours was more involved than anticipated and pushed us off our schedule, or that a hospital emergency case had to be squeezed in as we are hospital based and I am the Director of Endoscopy at the medical center. There is absolutely no upside for me to casually run late as I have a very busy schedule every day and go from the endoscopy lab to see patients in the office. So I am sorry we ran late, but I am confident when you did have your procedure it was expertly performed and you did very well. But I certainly will take your privacy concerns to heart as we regularly discuss issues like this and how we can do better. I would ask that you not throw the baby out with the bath water and realize that all the concerns you raise are geographic, which can be addressed. You might also be surprised that other facilities do not have a better solution for your concerns and the skill of the physicians may be quite a bit different. Regards, JDH

October 26th, 2012
PROFESSIONAL AND CARING
Just what I hope all doctors would offer, professional, courteous and caring staff - following the standards of the doctor (Hartford).

June 15th, 2011
I highly recommend this physician! While his affect is dry and his kind words and his actions speak loudly about his level of concern. I have found him to be upfront and honest about you and simply tells you what is the next steps for your wellness. The office staff is fantastic and always gets back to you with an answer to your question. This is an "old fashion" practice that demonstrates care and concern towards their patients!

November 17th, 2010
Poor Diagnosis
Diagnosed with diverticulitis when in fact I had a 17 inch soft tissue sacrcoma tumor in my abdomen. We were told he had done every test known to man when in fact a CT scan was never even done. My PCP ended up having the tests done which lead to my diagnosis.
Doctor's Response

While this is an unfortunate situation, this is not an accurate depiction. The patient was being evaluated for completely asymtomatic anemia (low blood count). All the appropriate testing was done for this. When symptoms of pain developed, his primary physician ordered a CT scan (which is NOT approved by insurance as an evaluation for anemia). The CT scan was initially read by radiology as a diverticular abscess, I reviewed it and told his primary physician that it was a mass. These tumors are notoriously silent and often grow to considerable size before they are diagnosed. There was no lack of concern or diligence; the symptoms changed dramatically making other testing available and reasonable. JDH

March 8th, 2010
Dr Hartford saved my life
Dr Hartford correctly diagnosed me at age 53 with advanced colon cancer. He sent me for a ct scan and blood tests the same day as my colonoscopy and told me as soon as I woke up what he suspected. He got the test results back the same day and called me that evening to talk with me about the results and what it all meant. He took the time to answer every one of my questions and recommended an oncologist. Bottom line it has been 2.5 years since I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer and as of a year ago I have no sign of cancer. Had it not been for his diagnosis and quick care I would not be here. It is true he is not very warm and fuzzy but if you want a doc who is straight with you, calls you back, and has your best interest at heart he is your guy!

October 19th, 2009
Blah!
Terrible, terrible, terrible. He rushed into the office, said I had nothing wrong with me, scheduled a colonscopy without telling my why I needed one, then he rushed out! He didn't even examine me or discuss my belly pain. Please, I know doctors are busy, but treat us patients with a little respect!
Doctor's Response

This never happened, and I am not sure who would write this. Certainly not a patient of mine. I have done over 25,000 colonoscopies and not one of those patients did not have an explanation as to why it was being done. I have never scheduled a procedure without examining a patient; it is part of the state required form. And I have never told anyone there is nothing wrong with you, you need a colonoscopy. I would suggest someone read the recently penned review and decide if the physician they describe is consistent with the accusations made by "anonymous". Typically if people are as outraged as suggested here, they have the fortitude to put their name to it. Baseless comments like this make sites like this of little use to patients looking for an honest appraisal. I would suggest people go to ratemds.com for more useful information.