Dr. Jeffrey Shapiro Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Jeffrey Shapiro?

September 27th, 2017

DO NOT USE THIS SURGEON!

I had sudden knee pain & was told it was arthritis & put on meds for 2 weeks, which didn't help. I told Dr. Shapiro it felt more like soft tissue & finally talked him into getting me an MRI (which I had to suggest) to find out I had a torn meniscus. He gave me 2 options -- repair the meniscus & come in every 2 months for injections or have a partial knee replacement. I asked, in his opinion, what would be the best choice & he told me he could not tell me & left the decision on me to choose my path. I asked him if I would eventually need surgery anyway & he said yes so I chose to have the partial (because having needles jammed in my knee for an undetermined length of time didn't seem like a long term option). I was told it would be a 12 week recovery -- 6 months later, still not better. He suggested going in arthroscopically & "cleaning things up". I went for second opinions to 3 different surgeons & every one of them said this surgery should have never been done on me & that a scope would not do any good at this point. All of them said they would have strictly repaired the meniscus & see how things went afterwards & then pursue other treatment if needed. In hindsight, I now feel that all of my pain was coming from the meniscus but at the time Dr. Shapiro kept focusing on the arthritis in my knee so I trusted that that's what was the cause of my pain. In follow up visits with him, he DID acknowledge that something was wrong & he wasn't sure what happened but made it clear that HE didn't do anything wrong. The last surgeon I saw for a second opinion asked if I was given the option of physical or drug therapy, which I was not -- he shook his head & said "no one in their right mind should have done this surgery on you. Just because there is a problem, doesn't mean you just operate on it without exhausting other treatment options". This surgery has caused me so much depression, grief & pain - I will never be able to go back to my normal active lifestyle, I will NEVER be able to run (even across the street), ride a bike.. even up & down stairs is a struggle. Please tell anyone looking for an ortho to stay away from this surgeon. and ALWAYS get a second opinion BEFORE any surgeries.

March 30th, 2017

Dr. Shapiro performed my median meniscus knee surgery. He was quick and impatient with my question during my consultation. After performing surgery he spoke to my companion who was driving me home. He was short and seemed bothered in speaking with them. I had questions that I wanted to ask the doctor after my procedure to ask how the procedure went and if a repair or removal of the tissue was performed. He did not come to my room to discuss but abruptly discussed it over the phone while I was still in the hospital because he was too busy. I was then prescribed a narcotic pain medicine if needed for later use. I was not told that it would be best to get the Rx filled at the hospital pharmacy. I was unable to get it filled at my local CVS and Rite Aid. I went round and round with his office staff to try to get a replacement Rx like Tylenol with codeine. Several frustrating phone calls and two hours later, I am still waiting for a resolution. I would not recommend him or Beaumont due to this terrible experience.

March 30th, 2017

Too busy to explain procedures and answer questions

December 22nd, 2015

Excellent Doctor

Excellent. Efficient process. Was back working out in 10 days. Full recovery in about 6 weeks. No pain at all skiing and hiking 3 months post surgery.

August 28th, 2015

Personable, professional and informative.

March 10th, 2015

He did an amazing job on my shoulder and knee. He takes the time to make sure you understand everything. Very caring!

April 8th, 2014

Horrible bedside manner

Dr. Shapiro was not attentive, he was rushed and kept interrupting me when I was asking questions about my knee. He didn't give me any information he kept asking me what I wanted to do (as if I had gone to medical school). He was very condescending and did not make me feel heard, respected or even under good treatment. This was a horrible experience.

August 9th, 2012

Surgery of Rotator Cuff

I have met with Dr. Shapiro on a couple of occasions. He is compassion, honest and a great personality. I have no apprehensions about Dr. Shapiro performing my surgery.

March 7th, 2012

AFTER AN HOUR WAIT, I NEVER SAW THE DOCTOR-THOUGH THEY TOOK X-RAYS

It was very encouraging that I could get an appointment with this doctor right away. When I arrived for my appointment, I told the staff that I was on a lunch hour from work, and they said that would not be a problem, but I waited over an hour (more like an hour and a half) and never saw the doctor. They had me fill out a STACK of paperwork and once I got into the patient room, I was told they were going to take X-rays. I inquired, why, I haven't even seen the doctor yet? They said it is his only way of seeing the problem. I didn't think my problem was serious enough for X-rays, but they insisted, and took FOUR X-rays. (The bonus here is that the technician was very nice.) After X-rays, I waited, and waited, and finally left without having seen the doctor. So, I cannot really rate the doctor, but it is his practice, and they should not schedule appointments like you're in a fast food line.

January 30th, 2012

no complaints

January 10th, 2012

i had recieved a work related knee injury and when i went to see this doctor he had forgotten about my appointment i waited for about an hour for him to return to his office. when i finally saw him he spent about ten minutes with him twisting and turning my leg and then told me nothing was wrong with my knee and told me to suck it up and live with the pain. two weeks later after seeing another doctor i ended up with a 2 inch tear in the miniscus and had to have the tear area removed.

December 13th, 2011

Life Saver

Dr. Shapiro did my ACL in my Right Knee and 2 major shoulder surgeries. I can still hit a golf ball over 300 yards and have no limitations. Dr. Shaprio is a perfectionist and I would recommend him to anyone. Thanks Doc! I can enjoy life again thanks to you. I'm staying retired from hockey as I prommised you, but I feel good enough to play.