1.5

Mis-diagnosis show details Mis-diagnosis
by BLM on Oct 23rd, 2015

My son went in to St. Joseph's emergency on 10/19 at 6:00 p.m. He was having SEVERE stomach pains with diarrhea and vomiting. The wait time was 5+ hours to be seen. Dr. Hughes came in and asked if anyone else was sick at home. Didn't touch him at all and said he had gastroenteritis. I told him I was worried about it being his appendix and he said, "No I don't think so". My son received pain medication and we left at 2:15 a.m. My son woke up at 7 a.m. in extreme pain again. I took him back and asked that they do a ultrasound or something. I was glad to see a different doctor was there and he ordered a CT Scan. My son ended up having Intussusception and had surgery on 10/20 at Choc Hospital to remove a portion of his intestines and appendix due to a tumor/tissue mass. Dr. Hughes does not have a good bedside manner and does not seem to care about the patients he sees. He is quick to diagnose without taking the time to review the symptoms. My son suffered with tremendous pain unnecessarily because he diagnosed it as food poisoning or stomach flu. I hate to think what would have happened if I would have taken his word for it.

Intimidating and lazy show details Intimidating and lazy
Jun 25th, 2015

I only saw Dr. Hughes in an emergency room once. Once was enough. He was curt and abrupt. I found him intimidating. Lacks bedside manner. When my attending nurse began to ask him a question, Dr. H snapped in an angry tone "WHAT?!" in such a voice that suggested the staff person was bothering him. The nurse was polite, kind and very professional. Dr. H's manner made me rather uncomfortable and I was embarrassed for the poor fellow (the nurse, not the doc). Dr. H comes off as a cocky and arrogant. Even worse, he misdiagnosed me. I came into the hospital with excruciating abdominal pain. He didn't run any tests. He only pushed on my stomach a few times and told me I was suffering from acid reflux and sent me home with a cocktail of meds, none of which I needed because, as it later turned out, I had gallstones. He should have run an ultra sound at the very least. He was lazy, not overwhelmed. There was hardly anyone in the ER that night. Dr. H needs to be more thorough. And more polite to his staff.