Dr. Jeffrey Johnson MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

October 24th, 2016
Dr.Johnson did my surgery on my neck for a herniated disk at c7-t1 never c8. When I first went to Dr.Johnson I felt he was competent just a bit cold. I was told that all the pain I was having would be gone and I would feel like a new person when I woke up. Except for the incision of course. It has been 8 months now and I have had a nerve induction test and a new MRI only to show that I still have a nerve pinch at the same location. So now waiting to see a new surgeon and possible another surgery so two neck surgery's in one year.

October 20th, 2015
Poor listener who doesn't do their homework
Dr Johnson seemed considerate but based on his diagnosis, he apparently either wasn't listening or didn't believe me and he hadn't read the reports in my medical records from 2 prior neurologists who diagnosed me with both carpal tunnel and ulnar neuropathy based on an emg. I told him that all fingers were going numb in both hands and he responded that this was classical carpal tunnel which it's not. Little finger and ring finger numbness arent classic capital tunnel! To make matters worse, he went on to say he'd do the corrective surgery for ulnar neuropathy if i wanted him to. Then i completely lost confidence.

May 19th, 2015
Great Hands
Always explains the diagnosis, surgery procedure so that you can understand what to expect and will give you an approximate recovery period. He will also work with you if you experiencing difficult pain issues after surgery.

October 30th, 2013
Former Patient
Dr Johnson's technical skills are adequate but it is not enough to overcome his unprofessional behavior. A couple of months after I had lower back surgery the numbness with pins and needles came back. I called the office and they made an appointment for me to come back. I showed up on time and after waiting 30 minutes the receptionist came out and told me the Dr. had some scheduling conflicts and wouldn't see me. I brought up the issues I was having and she told me the Doctor said it was normal to lose the feeling again and he wouldn't see me. There were only two of us in the waiting room and the office hours were still open for 1.5 hours. I have since seen another doctor and was told this is a very serious problem and we have scheduled a new treatment plan that includes an additional surgery. The front office staff was rude and I believe the receptionist giving me medical advice surely breaks the medical board in Oregons rule if not several laws.

April 15th, 2013
back surgery
Dr, Johnson has performed three surgeries on me, the last was fusion of L-3, l-4 & L-5. I had been warned off this surgery by several other people in the medical field, including Dr, Johnson. I had gotten to the point I had no other options. My surgery was complicated with not so good vertebrae plus scoliosis. My outcome was uncertain. However, it has now been three months and I am without pain, he literally saved my life. The chronic pain had me beaten down to the point I did not feel I could live with it anymore. My other two surgeries with him were likewise very satisfactory. I would with hesitation reccomend him for anything surgery he is willing to perform.

March 2nd, 2012
First Mcrodiscectomy as an High School Senior
First and foremost I am a serious, professionally trained dancer. When I began to experience sciatica so badly I could not even walk, my pediatrician sent me to Dr. Johnson, He took plenty of time to explain what the visuals on the MRI meant and was kind enough not to sugar-coat the severity of my disc degeneration. My first surgery took me from level 10 pain all through my sciatic nerves to no pain after my recovery period. I have continued to see Dr. Johnson and within the last year have received back fusion surgery. I suggest anyone with severe spinal issues to attempt to get in to Dr. Johnson. He is a talented, earnest surgeon with a kind heart. He has made life possible for me again and I know he does his best to provide all his clients with livable solutions for their individual back issues. Thank you again (and again and again) Dr. Johnson!

June 20th, 2011
Good surgical result. On follow up visit assigned staff was clueless concerning blood clots. Doctor was good but staff he selected for follow up not qualified. Did not relate serious breathing difficulties to blood clots. This was ten years ago but vivid in my memory given the seriousness of the situation.

May 15th, 2011
Dr Johnson is a decent surgeon. Unfortunately his PA, Carmel Wimber, is inexperienced and seems unwilling or unable to provide adequate post-surgical care in a compassionate and effective manner. Sad to say the only person the patient is able to contact either by phone or in person after the surgery. She does not return phone calls and is ill prepared for appointments. She does not deal well with questions or challenges in regards to selection of a treatment involving more work for her. I will not return to this surgeon if Ms Wimber remains on his staff

October 12th, 2010
I did not have surgery, only a consultation. We opted for the steroid injection first. So, he may be a fine Neurosurgeon, but I have not experienced that. I was impressed that he juggled his schedule around to make room for me, as I was in quite a bit of pain. He saw me in a week, which is phenomenal. He seemed a bit detached to me, but he was diagnosing me so it's understandable. Dr. Johnson took the time to explain everything, give his option and let me make the decision. I definitely recommend him.

February 14th, 2009
Dentist found the best neurosurgeon in Portland
As a dentist, it was important to find the best neurosurgeon for my microdiscectomy. I found Dr. Johnson based upon a referral from another dentist. In addition, Dr. Johnson was able to see me in 2 days vs. 2 weeks or months. (I was in severe pain...how could I wait weeks or months!) I saw Dr. Johnson and had the surgery the next day. Before I entered the OR, the surgical nurse reassured me that Dr. Johnson was the best. She told me that out of Providence St. Vincent's 11 neurosurgeons, she chose Dr. Johnson to perform her own operation. That was the best news I could have heard before going "under the knife". It is now 4 months post-surgery and I am feeling great. I cannot thank Dr. Johnson enough for his promptness, kindness, customer service and skill. If you see him after reading this referral, tell him I said "Hi".

April 3rd, 2008
Outstanding surgeon
Dr. Johnson performed a micro discectomy (at least I think that's what the procedure was called) on me last year. He and his staff were outstanding. I was out of the hospital in two days. I went from incredible pain to feeling pretty darn good in three weeks. He has my highest recommendation.