Surgeons
1675 Watertower Pl
Ste 100
East Lansing, MI 48823
517-332-0200
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

|  One of the worst Offices I have ever been to.  |  show details
by Tim on Jun 6th, 2014

Having worked in the medical field for some time I have never come across an office as unprofessional, inconsiderate, and heartless. This office is more concerned with lining their pocket books than providing quality patient care. I was steered to this office after having been diagnosed with a hernia while working. Workman's Comp. Disputed my claim instructing me to use my medical insurance until the claim could be resolved. I called this office to set up an appt. at which they told me they could not see me unless I was paying up front. When asked why they stated that they could not bill my medical insurance when this could be a work comp claim. When I asked why, the office manager stated they would be put in a situation that they could have to refund money to my insurance company when/if it turned out to be a work comp claim. It was not an issue of they can't. It was an issue that they didn't want to deal with it, and would rather pass the cost on to the shoulders of patients who are really in no position to carry the burden of that cost, especially having just been off of work for 2 weeks. Needing to see a surgeon I negotiated with the office manager to pay $50.00 for the office visit at the time of service, this would share the burden for the time being and I would pay another $50.00 the month after that if the dispute was not resolved with work comp. The office manager agreed and all was fine; at least I thought so. Now for this hernia I spent a few night admitted in the hospital and and had an ER visit, my deductible had been met as had a majority of my Co-pay so I should have only been responsible for 20% of the cost of the office visit, far less than the $50.00 we agreed to. The office manager proceeded to call my insurance company (the one she said she could not bill) and found out that the hospital as of that date, quite a few days before the date of my appt. with her office had not billed the insurance company. After having come to an agreement with me she proceeded to call me and tell me she could not honor that agreement and that I would need to pay more to be seen. Needing to see the surgeon I said ok and agreed to $75.00 up front for a visit. Again this was something that could have been avoided had they billed my insurance as I requested, that's why I have insurance right?! It doesn't stop there. On the day of my appt. I showed up checked in and was immediately asked for the $75.00; I paid as I agreed, sat down and waited for my turn. Upon Dr. Johnson seeing me I received a half of an exam at best. On the exam table he briefly felt around my abdomen and quickly came to the diagnosis of diastasis recti. I then told Dr. Johnson that the surgeons at the hospital where I was admitted clearly saw a Hernia on the CT Scan and asked if he could take a look at that. He response? "I don't need to" I again asked why? And he responded with "I don't need to, and I don't need to see you back." At that moment I knew exactly what was going on, this office did not want me as a patient. Having the possibility of it being a work comp claim and the dispute, they were getting rid of me with a BS exam and Dr. Who could not be bothered to do his job correctly. After the "exam" if you can call it that, the office manager; who if you remember said they couldn't bill my medical insurance, did EXACTLY the opposite and billed my medical insurance. Guess what?! My responsibility for the visit? $15 or- a few.... Thank you OFFICE MANAGER for making me front the cost for your lack financial management. This office has a manager who will not keep her word, and is not interested in patient care, in fact I doubt any of the staff has any interest in quality of pt care. Today I received a certified letter from Dr. Johnson stating "he could no longer see me as a patient due to a breakdown in the Dr.-patient relationship" It also stated he would only provide emergency care for 30 days from the date of the letter? Now I believe he is an on-call surgeon for both of the major hospitals in Lansing, so you mean to tell me that if I require emergency surgery and he is the on-call surgeon I will be forced to wait for emergency surgery because he refuses to do it? Duly noted, I will keep the letter in case I or my family ever need it for legal purposes. I do not recommend this Dr. or his office to ANYONE!

|  show details
Oct 28th, 2009

excellent physician.the best general surgeon in lansing.