Dr. Jeffrey Barkin MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Portland, ME

March 3rd, 2015
Extremely helpful and compassionate
Grateful for the guidance and help given to me by Dr. Barkin. Very clear he's well educated, compassionate and kind while still being completely professional.

July 12th, 2011
Feels good to be better!
My husband and I summer in Maine, living in San Fran the rest of the year. I had been struggling with mood swings for years. The unsteady moods became disabling. Having seen many shrinks over the years, I was reluctant to see someone else. I was referred to Dr. Barkin by someone at Mass General in Boston last summer (2010).So, before we met, Dr. Barkin asked me to write down all the meds I had tried. He went over this list with me during the consultation. I was amazed that he wanted me off the antidepressants. I have been on them for years and thought I needed them. Anyway, he slowly lowered the dose and started some lithium. Within 4 weeks my moods stabilized. Depression went away competely. Granted, my jaw dropped when he suggested lithium but wow! Finally, no depression. What I learned is: 1. See a specialist in mood disorders if you have depression and your not getting better and 2. antidepressants are NOT safe, benign medications in everyone. I recommend Dr. Barkin. Though he doesn't take insurance, it is worth it to see someone who knows this stuff cold.

June 12th, 2010
Really kind doc!
I came to Dr. B. for some advice on deeply personal issues. He spent a tremendous amount of time with me, and punderstood what makes me tick. The therapy got me past being stuck in life, with a poor job and lousy relationships. The therapy let me grow and get to my potential. WOuld recommend him in a hearbeat!

June 12th, 2010
He Saved my Life
Basically, I consulted Dr. Barkin in Maine. Drove up from Boston Mass, having been referred by my psychiatrist. Have been suffering with depression for over 20 years, with no benefit from any treatment. Barkin made the correct (a rare genetic illness) diagnosis and found the right meds to get me better. I am forever grateful!

March 5th, 2010
He may know how to treat patients with the right medication, but when it comes to the counseling aspect he seems to have no expertise. I have on more than one occasion been made to feel unintelligent and made to feel worse than I already do. He used a tone of voice with me not appropriate for professionals and he does not take insurance.