Jennie Byrne MD Patient Reviews

3.0
  • 5 reviews

May 1st, 2016
Epitomized the American Way: Narcissism and Greed.

August 21st, 2015
Great worked with me well to save my life !

April 10th, 2014
Card Swiper II
I wish that I had researched reviews of this practice months ago. Let’s call it what it is - a cash-only practice, with the top priority being financial profit. Dr. Byrne refuses to be under contract with any insurance agency so that she is able to charge patients for routine tasks that no insurance company would consider a valid, billable service, but rather the standard expectations of a treating physician. Many of the charges that appeared on my “on-file” credit card were unexpected, excessive, and do not have legitimate, reimbursable billing codes. Of the services which were coded and billable to insurance, the amounts charged far exceed any amount that would be contracted with an insurance company. As the wife of a physician, I certainly understand that doctors spend a large portion of their time handling matters that are not reimbursed by insurance. I also understand that insurance does not reimburse at the rates that would be conducive to the long-ago upper-class financial status of doctors. This practice model is focused on an attempt to return to that era, not on individualized treatment plans of patients. Some of the statements in the below response to “Card Swiper” have changed since written in 2011. However, if you do have questions regarding charges that appear on your credit card statement, they are discussed with you during your prepaid therapy session. Rather than receiving the therapy for which you paid, a disputed charge becomes a full session financial discussion initiated by your provider. The policies and/or practice model of Cognitive Psychiatry of Chapel Hill were not made clear to me until after nearly 6 months of treatment, despite my ongoing inquiries regarding billing. After being clearly informed of this structure, I simply could no longer afford to continue treatment at this office.

February 14th, 2013
Excellent Care
I have been seeing Dr. Byrne for almost two years now. The care I have received from her has been very helpful. I highly recommend her.

July 22nd, 2011
Card swiper
Never see this "professional". She charges your card and provides no infrastructure. Does not bill your insurance and charges you for refills and doubles it after 5pm....Also will charge you for putting your folder in her cabinet. Notwithstanding her avarice in billing her advise and experience is mundane at best. AVOID
Doctor's Response

Patient care is my top priority and I take this very seriously, I am sorry that this patient was dissatisfied with his/her experience. All fees and pricing are available on my website, are explained upfront, and are given to each patient in paper form at their first appointment. Due to issues with medical insurance, many doctors are being forced to avoid filing through medical insurance carriers. I am out-of-network and do not file with insurance, this is clearly disclosed before the initial appointment. I realize that this policy can be confusing if patients are not accustomed to filing claims, but I believe that it ultimately results in the highest level of patient care. To better understand this policy, here are answers to some frequently asked questions: Q: Do you take insurance? A: I am considered an out-of-network provider for all insurance. This means that you pay the full amount at the time of service and may then submit a claim to your insurer. Your insurer will then send you a percentage of this fee directly. Q: Why don't you file insurance claims for patients? A: Many doctors are in-network for insurance, meaning that they sign a contract with the insurance agency and bill them directly. I feel that these contracts hinder my ability to provide you with the highest level of care. Since I am not under contract with any insurance agency, I have a great deal of flexibility to create the best treatment plan for you. For example, I can see you as often as necessary without prior authorization, I do not have to get approval for ongoing care, our appointments are not limited in duration, and I can work with you via phone, email, and televideo if necessary. Also, since I do not submit any insurance claims, I do not hire additional administrative staff to manage billing; if you have a billing issue you do not have to go through another person, you can discuss it with me directly. Q: How do I file out-of-network claims? A: You can call your insurer or look on their website to find the claims form. You fill out the claims form, attach the receipt that I give you, and mail to the insurer. Sometimes claims can be done online as well. I suggest that you bring the claims form with you to our first appointment and during that time we will fill out the form together. If you want me to complete the forms later, I can do it for you after the appointment for the hourly fee. Q: Do you have a co-pay? A: Since I am not in-network with insurance you do not have a copay. At the time of service you are expected to pay in full for your appointment. Q: Why do you bill for phone calls and email? A: In my experience, doctors spend 1-3 hours per day in "indirect" patient care, doing things like answering email, phone calls, filling out forms, etc. Since most doctors do not bill for these services they tend to limit their availability to you or raise the cost of their office appointments to cover their losses. I believe that it is fair and simple to charge per service based on a hourly rate. If you do not utilize these services, you are not paying for them. On the other hand, when you need these services I am there for you and will not rush you. Please note that insurance generally does not pay for indirect patient care, your credit card will be charged at the time of service for phone calls and email. Q: What forms of payment do you accept? A: I accept cash, check, or credit card at the time of service. I require a credit card on file that would be billed for services provided outside the office, like email or phone calls.