Dr. Jennifer Nelson MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3
  • 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

June 27th, 2008
Horrible bedside manner...
I would not recommend Dr. Nelson to anyone. I have never, ever had a doctor who had this poor of a bedside manner. People talk of a blissful experience when giving birth and how special it was to be connected to your husband and how the doctor was so encouraging and supportive. My doctor was out of town and Dr. Nelson was on call the weekend my water broke. She seemed so put out with us on the phone when we called late Saturday night. I went to Lakeside around 10 pm and never saw her until I was fully dilated at 7 am. It was then, and only then, that she came in the room and said, "Well, I guess I have to deliver this baby." She never even introduced herself. Then she said to a nurse, "The next doctor comes in at 7:30." We felt like she was rushing to get this done. My child was a big baby, nearly 10 lbs. I had her vaginally and everyone says I probably should have had an emergency c-section because I ripped. Dr. Nelson never came to check on us or to tell us that she was glad to have had this experience with us. While at Lakeside, our child had to be rushed to the NICU at Baptist. They said that all of her complications could have been avoided had we been at a facility with a NICU from the beginning. Do not go to this doctor. Everyone deserves to have a wonderful experience, especially the first time you give birth. Dr. Nelson forever ruined this experience for my husband and I. Lakeside is not equipped to deal with any problems if you or your child have any. Be aware of this. The nurses are not trained as NICU nurses. When minutes count as far as your life or your newborn's life, you don't want to be at Lakeside. I am not the type of person that normally bashes people like this, but it is my hope that by me writing this that maybe one person will read it and make an informed decision to choose a different doctor and/or hospital for their delivery. I have had friends who have had wonderful experiences at Lakeside, but they were fortunate enough to never have delivery problems and their babies were healthy. I was the opposite. My baby was born premature and with jaundice. She needed better care than what she got. The equipment they have at Lakeside just isn't enough to care for sick babies. I will never forget the feeling of my child being medi-flighted to Baptist and wheeled out of the nursery at Lakeside. The nurses looked at us like we were a freak show as she was being wheeled out. Not knowing whether my daughter was going to live or die is the worst experience I have ever went through and then to find out that this could have been prevented had we been smart by going somewhere with a NICU and having a competent and caring doctor just about puts me over the edge. Once again, I am telling you that you need to make an informed decision about your doctor and the hospital. People will tell you that everything will be okay. That's what they told us, but everything wasn't okay. We were the minority and we don't want this to happen to you.