Dr. Jennifer Nguyen MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.0

January 8th, 2016
Rude
I went to Dr. Nguyen for hair loss and thinning. The doctors at Penn are supposed to be the experts in this area. She was cold and rude and had no concern for my hair loss. She treated me as if I was annoying her with my petty problems. I had large bald spots in the front of my hairline and she said it wasn't a big deal. She made me feel like I was being very vain. She recommended Rogain. I used it for two years and went back to her as I was still having problems. The Rogain did work in some areas but not in others and my hair got thinner in that time. She told me that my hair did not get thinner and said there was nothing else to do but keep using the Rogain. I would never go back to her again.

September 4th, 2015
had to switch to Dr. Nguyen from another doctor who changed practice locations. Dr. Nguyen is inaccessible, impossible to schedule appointments and then when one refill was clearly requested, she went ahead and ordered other medicines refilled instead. This was after a disasterous time getting the first medication renewed from the previous doctor because Dr. Nguyen had no concern for the cost of medications and just prescribed whatever dermatological cream came to mind even if it costed $350 (she then admitted I could get the over the counter version which was just as effective and cost $20 for one and $10 for the other). Very disappointing service.

June 14th, 2014
Completely disheartened
Dr was nice enough but definitely NOT knowledgeable. Saw her on 2 sep occasions. For scalp sensitivity and what had been diagnosed by another dr as scalp folliculitis-didn't care to suggest new treatments or anything forward-thinking -I hadn't been expecting fireworks but from UPenn has expected some more "oomph," concern, knowledge-I got less than nothing by way of ideas, suggestions, further treatment than from my own hometown dr-got more interesting, informative and helpful ideas from freaking WebMD!!! When I saw her for hair thinning, she was completely aloof. No concern for how hard it is for a woman, No suggestions or conversations other than rogaine (specifically-other brands/options not mentioned...even as "we've studied those and they don't work as well..." HMMMM). No must be so hard for you; this is what you can do/where you can go to test/disguise/etc. NOTHING. Didn't suggest bloodwork. Said "Stress doesn't cause hair loss-" even though I've read numerous sites that suggest it does-said "you can't expect your hair to be the same at 46 as at 26. And it's not so bad." Well NO DUH-but what if I told her, which i did, that it started 4 yes before and has been escalating, that some basic,initial blood work had been done ("you can send it, sure, whatever") but nothing showed up yet--she was completely cold and unconcerned with the social or psychological much less actual medical aspects of what might be causing my hair thinning. No empathy, no help, no information-medical or cosmetic. And, as id told her and the front office lady (who was lovely), my insurance wouldn't cover any visit resulting in any diagnosis stating alopecia-so id be paying for this myself. Dr kept referring to that even tho I said I knew it was going to be handled that way. More concerned with that than my emotional/physical state. UPenn excellent? Experts? No way. Never again. So sad I was snowed by the "title."