Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

by Sarah on Oct 11th, 2014

Love love love Dr. Winell. She successfully braced my daughter for scoliosis so that she did not need surgery. She was kind and patient. She always answered my daughter's questions. I cannot express enough how grateful we are to her. Highly recommend anyone with scoliosis to see this amazing doctor!

|  Mrs.  |  show details
by Rena Crump on Aug 9th, 2014

Dr. Winell was very informative and compassionate when I visited with my son recently. She explained my sons condition in great detiail. I left feeling quite reassured. I'm thankful there is such a good doctor close by.

by Amy on Aug 5th, 2014

I read some of these previous reviews. My daughter is a long time of patient of Dr. Winell's. Some of these people's descriptions of her bedside manner is completely inaccurate. I cannot imagine her every raising a voice to anyone. She is gentle and kind. To blame her for an experience with Profit is also ridiculous. I highly recommend her and will continue to take my daugther to her until she is discharged. Please anyone reading these reviews, please know the review is only as good as the reviewer!

|  professional and expereinced doctor  |  show details
May 13th, 2014

I had a very good appointment with Dr. Winell. My daughter badly hurt her ankle. Dr. Winell reviewed the x-ray, examined the ankle and quickly diagnosed it as a growth plate fracture. She put us at ease by telling us how common this injury was for kids and that she should have a complete recovery. She determined a boot was the right course of action, and one of the nurses came minutes later to fit her in the boot and show us how to use it. We go back in 3 weeks, and would expect the same level of professional care

|  Poor, expected more from CHOP  |  show details
by CRNJ2013 on Nov 20th, 2013

Dr. Jennifer Winell, is NOT a good doctor, poor bed side manner and so vague with answers you do better just using Wikipedia. She orders blood work, then her nurse calls and says everything is fine..., we actually got the report too and had questions on why she order certain tests and wanted to better understand the results..., Jennifer's team said they did not know how to interpret the results and we should ask our pediatrician, but everything was fine as far as they were concerned..., we asked why and what they were looking for with the blood work and they couldn’t answer (in the initial consultation Winell wanted to blood work to rule out things, but wasn’t specific). We found the answers on our own, no thanks to Winell. Luckily all is well..., Winell was so vague when we meet with her, she could handle a challenge to her statements, she also said our other doctors weren’t real Orthopedic Doctors and didn’t understand the issues (she was the 4th doctor we saw regarding an issue). Not sure Winell understands either…, I wonder if she is a “Real Doctor”. I don’t understand how someone with no personality could be a children's doctor.., seems like she is dealing with her own issues that she can’t come down and talk to people like a real person. Another annoying thing about the visit, is she has a typing assistant in the room taking note while she talks..., very distracting, I guess it saves Winell time in actually thinking about her interactions with her patients. Again very disappointing I almost feel sorry for my insurance company having to pay her. It embarrassing and unfortunate Winell is working at CHOP. CHOP does do excellent work for children, clearly no thanks to Winell.

|  I DID NOT HAVE THE SAME TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2012

My daughter ended up with a stress fracture in her back due to sports. Dr Winell was great with us. I even questioned her in regard to treatment plan and she was not insulted in the least and gave me an explaination to what and why it was needed. As for her back brace, my insurance was not accepted by Pro Fit so Icannot comment on that, howver the brace was beautifully done and my daughter has recovered well so far. I called afew times in between and my call was answered promptly, albeit by her NP(which is fine by me). Dr Winell does seem amtter of fact but I don't have a problem with that. I have worked in pediatrics before and I do know parents have a tendancy to over dramatize their childs behaviors. Dr's do need your asssitance in dealing with children especially when they are in pain. I feel the other two ratings were unfair. She is a good Dr, and well worth the wait.

|  People like Winell make me want to believe in KARMA  |  show details
May 27th, 2012

The first time we saw Dr. Winell she snapped at my son several times, telling him that he is NOT in pain, implying that he was being overly dramatic with his complaints, although we all knew he really was in pain (had a broken arm). She actually raised her voice when she talked to him and looked at me with an implied request to tell him to be quiet. She wanted me to use my parental authority to make my child shut up... I am not going to silence my child when he tells her that she is hurting his broken arm. Period. What kind of doctor is that?!The second time we didn't actually see Dr. Winell. It was when the cast had to come off of my son's arm. I knew there was going to be a problem because during our first visit we were told that they were going to take the cast off after they look at the second set of x-rays. I told them that there is not going to be a second x-ray, mostly because the fracture was not visible on the first x-rays, so consequently there was no real reason to give my child a second dose of radiation which was not going to reveal anything different than the first one.We were told that they cannot remove my son's cast without a recent x-ray and I was furious. I told them that I was not going to do the procedure because it was a worthless procedure (well, not if you think about the insurance money they could collect). After my refusal to do the x-ray I was left to wait for at least 30 min., then the nurse came in and silently removed the cast. Dr. Winell never showed up to examine the arm, so I had to trust the judgment of the nurse practitioner, which would have been almost alright with me if they did not charge us a full "specialist" co-pay and of course charge our insurance for a "specialist" visit. I know that posting stuff online is mostly inconsequential affair, so please make sure that you call CHOP and provide feedback so that it does affect bad medical practice. I will do it.

Nov 15th, 2011

I deeply regret in choosing Dr. Winell to treat both of my daughters for scoliosis. Dr. Winell recommended her friends from Pro Fit LLC to make my daughter her body brace. They were horrible! My daughter's scoliosis has gotten worse. The brace was a total joke. It didn't even address the issues she was having and it was very big and she end up getting new clothes 3x her sizes. It took a while for her to get her brace and they were very difficult to work with and to get an appointment with. Once the insurance paid them, you can't get any appointment for adjustment or any return calls when you have concerns. When I address these concerns with Dr. Winell and the Pro Fit owner, they didn't seems to care. It is hard enough to have a child going through with scoliosis and to have her get worse than better. I really wish we never went to see Dr. Winell. Very upset Mom.