Dr. Gerald Stein MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Eureka Springs, AR

2.1

May 6th, 2013
Where's the INTUITION?!
As someone who had mixed feelings about Dr. Stein, I am struck with his replies to some of these reviews and reminded why I was not thrilled with his powers of observation. One review is from a patient who had undergone Psychoanalysis and Dr. Stein "challenged" the review by explaining he had not practiced psychoanalysis for a number of years. Well, clearly the patient could have been under his care several years EARLIER. This is hard to figure out?! Another reviewer complained that Dr. Stein prescribed "lethal doses" of medication. Dr. Stein asserted that this, by definition, means the patient would have died. How a highly-trained mental-health professional could not understand that the reviewer was simply exaggerating his displeasure (for emphasis) is astounding. In conclusion, my "issue" with Dr. Stein was that he simply was not very good at "reading between the lines." And isn't this what you need most from a psychiatrist?

April 9th, 2013
Very Good
Dr. Stein is Easy to talk with. He is patient and helpful. He encourages you to find the root of what is causing your problems and limits medications to only what is necessary. The negative reviews here I would Not trust. Since part of the info was not at all true. Like saying he has a Rude Staff. At the time those were written he did not have any staff at all.

June 18th, 2012
Awful experience
I spent way too long seeing this man with the hope of getting some help for my depression and anxiety, but what I got was a rude, arrogant, essentially useless man. I also spent most of my savings before I woke up and stopped the charade. He is way into money and so disrespectful and arrogant towards people as to rule out compassion completely. He should have chosen a more lucrative specialty and one that did not involve people.
Doctor's Response

What can I say? Other reviews say that I am a very fine psychiatrist. But I cannot help everyone, no psychiatrist can. I hope this patient has been able to find someone who is not useless to help them.

April 10th, 2012
A find
Dr. Stein is truely a rare find, in the Ozarks, even rarer. He was able to bring immediate easing of the crisis, and then dug in a planned, focused course of treatment for my daughter. I highly recommend him.

May 25th, 2011
Wheels Spinning...
After several years of psychoanalysis with Dr. Stein and tens of thousands of dollars spent, I essentially felt no better. I'm glad I "got out" when I did because I was flushing my life savings down the toilet. Unfortunately Dr. Stein never once asked me if I was pleased with my progress which in hindsight is incredibly unprofessional. In my vulnerable, depressed condition, I was in no state of mind to formulate strong opinions for myself. Ironically, I became well enough (on medications prescribed by ANOTHER doctor!) to find a therapist who is far more effective for far less money! And the new therapist isn't even a "Psychiatrist!" Dr. Stein's essentially a good guy but don't let that fool you into thinking that's "good enough." Degrees and awards are "window dressing." Learn from me: If, after a few months you don't feel like you're making good progress with a therapist.....trust your subconscious and scram.
Doctor's Response

In May of 2011, when this review was written, I was not doing psychoanalysis, nor had I been for several years. Psychoanalysis involves meeting for multiple sessions each week. I had not been seeing anyone so regularly for several years. So I am puzzled which psychiatrist this patient is referring to. I am very interested in knowing whether patients are satisfied with their progress and listen and watch for signs of whether or not it is going well for them. If it is not, I try to find out why and get things moving in the right direction. I am also unclear : if he/she was not satisfied, I wonder why they did not mention it... Jerry Stein, M.D.

February 16th, 2010
He had not problem seeing me and then prescribing me lethal doses of medicine so I became addicted to things, kept me coming back to him so he would make more money. Always told me his money problems. Did not keep any records on me whatso ever. Had no problems calling me back, for he wanted those appointments. I am glad I am done with him
Doctor's Response

This is a shocking and strange note. If the patient was getting what he/she judged to be a "lethal dose" of medication, they would not have gotten addicted to it. They would have been killed by the "lethal dose." Please see the review immediately above which notes, "He was especially good about not just throwing medications at my problems." I do keep records on all my patients. I do not discuss my personal finances with anyone, nor did I have "financial problems" to discuss. I do call patients back, when they request it, or something needs to be arranged.