Overall Review

3.9

November 13th, 2016
SNAKE OIL SALESMAN
STAY AWAY! This "doctor" is unethical. My surgical experience was devastating. I wish I had done a GOOGLE search on him first. He has harmed many, has been sued by many, investigated by the State Medical Board, and was cited for unsafe practices by CMS

March 18th, 2016
Wrecked!
This arrogant doctor misrepresented the safety of the da Vinci in his sales pitch. He left me impotent and incontinent. He wrecked my life! Run from this doctor!

February 15th, 2016
Cleveland Clinic is fully committed to excellence in clinical practice, research, medical innovation, and patient care. Dr. Jihad Kaouk, M.D., Director of the Center for Robotic and Image Guided Surgery at Cleveland Clinic, and an American Board-Certified Urologist and Surgeon who specializes in the surgical treatment of complex kidney, prostate and bladder cancer, sees some of the most difficult medical cases in the world. Further, Dr. Kaouk’s clinical outcomes are superior and well above the national average among his peers. He is also a well-known pioneer in the field of urology, who has developed minimally invasive surgical techniques that have significantly advanced treatment for patients with complex urologic conditions. We are extraordinarily proud to have him as a member of our professional medical staff.

September 1st, 2015
Lacks Integrity. DANGEROUS.
Dr. Kaouk provided me three different and contradictory "stories" -- none of them true --about my surgery leaving me permanently injured and disabled. Many other patients on this site describe similar "botched" surgeries.

August 27th, 2015
Thankful
Dr. Kaouk took care of my mom, 83 years old. He displays compassion and kindness along with the utmost professionalism and knowledge. Could not have been more grateful for his knowledge and expertise. Mom is alive and doing well, thank you Dr. Kaouk.

April 2nd, 2015
SEVERE BLOOD LOSS, IMPOTENT, INCONTINENT, COMPLICATIONS
I had confined low grade prostate disease when I visited Kaouk and was told he had done 2000 prostatectomies, 1000 Open, with outcomes of 95% for full recovery of potency and 98% totally dry. He admitted to CMS investigators that only one-third of his patients recovered potency. He assured me he would do my surgery. Records suggest he was never present during my surgery performed by doctors in training. Op Note is written in third person to conceal who was present during the surgery. CMS cited Kaouk for doing multiple simultaneous surgeries beginning at the same time twice per day. CMS cited the urology department for having no credentialing or privileging of staff or residents. DANGEROUS DOCTOR!

January 19th, 2015
Best of the Best
After discovering that I had prostate cancer two years ago, my wife and I decided to interview several doctors instead of just going with our local one. We talked with our local urology surgeon, two at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, and then two at the Cleveland Clinic. The one we easily felt most comfortable with was Dr. Kaouk. He was very candid about what the possibilities were for my outcome and he genuinely cared about us and what we were going through. After 2 years have passed from my surgery, we are still thankful for what he has done for me. Dr. Kaouk still makes time to check in with me during my follow up visits which only adds to how we feel about him. My results were as expected and I couldn't be more blessed to have more time with my family. Thank you, Dr. Kaouk!! You are a lifesaver.

August 14th, 2014
Complete Confidence
In 2009 it was discovered that I had a tumor in each of my kidneys, one that was 7 centimeters. My local urologist referred me to Dr. Kaouk, who was able to perform partial nephrectomies avoiding the need for dialysis. I just completed my fifth year checkup and both kidneys are still clear and kidney function is still normal. Several health professionals have told me how rare it is that my left kidney (the one with the 7 centimeter tumor) was able to be saved, sparing me from a life of dialysis.

June 29th, 2014
Just saying thank you isn't enough
I was blind sided by the test results of my PSA test. Biopsy results confirmed the worst. The Gleason scores were even more devastating to me.. Surgery was inevitable and it needed to be done quickly. I went to my local hospitals recommended by my urologist. The hospitals are not small and treat everything from heart to cancer. The required time to see a doctor for surgery is 3-4 weeks for consultation. From there surgery schedules range from 14-20 weeks. The scheduling determined by availability of the doctors and the robotic suite at the hospital. I still made the appointment for the surgery, but, was not comfortable with the amount of time I had wait to have the cancer removed. I researched everything I could like anyone else would faced with this situation. The Cleveland Clinic for treatment and surgery was always on a recommended list in nearly every search. I made the call. Based on reviews, comments and recommendations Dr. Kaouk was on top of my list. I was able to quickly schedule an appointment to be seen by Dr. Kaouk. My file had been faxed to his office prior to my visit. Dr. Kaouk had actually read my file prior to my visit. We sat down he discussed available options. Surgery with complete removal of the prostate was the best coarse of action for me. He opened up his schedule book and told me he had a date open about 2 weeks from that day. That was it. While having the cancer and needing surgery was completely devastating for me it was comforting knowing I can have it removed so much quicker. Dr. Kaouk is calming and reassuring. He discussed the actual surgery, what would happen, side effects or possible side effects. He was not anxious or pushy to complete my visit and move to the next case or patient. Dr. Kaouk is very personable and any questions are answered. My surgery went well. Pathology reports from the removed tissue was much better than expected and included margins. For me this meant complete removal of all cancer with no spread. No further treatment was necessary. Post surgery, I spent a night at the hospital left the next day. Pain was completely manageable. I did not need anything stronger than Tylenol the third day. My recovery of incontinence was a week with depends. I used a pad for another four weeks. I didn't need a pad the entire time, but I still had a fear I would leak or have an accident. Then I just quit using the pad and found that I really did not need them. I have had no issues with incontinence including while lifting, running or whatever I do. Any time I have needed anything from Dr. Kaouk or his staff it has always been taken care of . This includes lengthy paper work to be filled out for my job and as a pilot for the FAA. I will always be grateful to Dr. Kaouk and his staff. I have my complete life back and its cancer free. Thank You! .

August 9th, 2013
Partial Nephrectomy
I would most definitely choose Dr. Kaouk again. He is in the kidney saving business. I had a large mass removed from my kidney. The first surgeon told me the only option was complete removal of my entire kidney. I now have both kidneys that function normally. I am blessed. Thank You Dr. Kaouk!! He is an expert in laparoscopic partial nephrectomy!!

August 3rd, 2013
Excellent Personalized Care
I was fortunate to have Dr. Kaouk perform my prostatectomy. After interviewing surgeons at another hospital, and coming away with an uneasy feeling, it was recommended that I seek an appointment with Dr. Kaouk. He personally spent significant time with me explaining my options. His brief references to his broad experience put me at ease and gave me the confidence to move forward. Though this procedure may be quite common in the medical world, it was uncommonly important to me. The surgery was successful; I spent one day in the hospital; I never took a pain pill; and, my recovery was per the schedule that was discussed beforehand. I would highly recommend Dr. Kaouk and his staff to anyone needing care within his specialties.

May 21st, 2013
Patient
Dr. . Kaouk performed surgery to remove a complex cancerous tumor from my left kidney. I was diagnosed with renel cell cancer on both kidneys in OCT 2012. An attempt to remove the tumor on the right kidney at another facility was unsuccessful and the kidney had to be removed. The liver had masked the true size of the tumor. Dr. Kaouk accepted the challenge of performing surgery on the left kidney. He successfully reomoved the tumor and saved 75% of the kidney. If anyone has renal cancer strongly recommend contacting Dr Kaouk.