Dr. Joanna Chapin Is this you?

3.4

Have you seen Dr. Joanna Chapin?

Wonderful therapist

Posted on August 10th, 2016

Great, empathetic doctor. Full confidence in her wisdom and acumen.

Posted on December 31st, 2015

Dr. Chapin and I spent a week exchanging voice mails. When we finally spoke, she informed me that she had a cancellation the next day and could see me at 12:15 p.m. The next day, I arrived for my appointment at 12:10 p.m. and waited in the waiting room just outside Dr. Chapin’s office. At 12:17 p.m, while checking work emails on my phone, I heard Dr. Chapin walk to her office door, open it and then quickly slam it shut. I then waited another 20 minutes, but she never called me in for the appointment. I left her office and called her. When I told her I waited 20 minutes for our appointment, she said, “Oh, I’m so sorry, I was here,” as if she wanted me to think she didn’t know I was in the waiting room. When I told her that I had heard her walk to the door, open it and slam it shut, she told me that because we hadn’t met before, she didn’t know what I looked like and therefore didn’t know I was waiting to see her. I was the only one in the waiting room and she had a 12:15 p.m. appointment scheduled. It seems like the logical (and professional) thing to do would be to ask the person in the waiting room if the person was there to see her. During our phone conversation, she never offered to reschedule the appointment. This encounter leads me to believe that she saw me in the waiting room and decided that she didn’t want to treat me because of my appearance (read: race).

Posted on October 29th, 2015