Overall Review

• 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

May 10th, 2011
Experienced and Sharp
Dr. Getsy was not at all what I had expected given my previous experiences with female doctors, most of whom seemed overworked and tired. She was very sharp and open-minded regarding my fatigue, immediately scheduling me for a second sleep study when my first sleep study two years prior had turned up moderate obstructive sleep apnea although I hardly fit the profile. She also made sure to schedule a nap study, despite my first MSLT failing to turn up anything interesting except some excessive daytime sleepiness. I didn't know why she was bothering with this, but now I understand it's because she's good at what she does.As she had predicted, my results indicated I no longer needed CPAP since I didn't have sleep apnea, but she was concerned about my MSLT results since I fell asleep so quickly during all of my naps (without entering REM sleep). I still remember her calling me personally to convey the results immediately after the sleep study because she didn't want me to have to drive to her office and pay for an appointment if there was nothing she could do for me except deliver a diagnosis of idiopathic hypersomnolence. I appreciated this consideration, but thought it odd that she mentioned she was initially considering narcolepsy as the diagnosis, despite me not fitting the criteria of entering REM sleep during two or more naps. I brushed this off and didn't see her for another two years until my symptoms worsened. Once they did, I paid her another visit and rather than dismiss me, she immediately ordered another sleep study and nap study, the latter of which confirmed a clear diagnosis of narcolepsy.If it were my original sleep doctor or any other doctor, I don't know that my diagnosis of sleep apnea would've ever been questioned or a third study ordered based solely on the fact that I was complaining of intense fatigue. But Dr. Getsy listened to me as a patient, didn't dismiss what I had to say, and has been incredibly sympathetic. She also spends a lot of time with patients and explains things instead of leaving us wondering what she means when she uses certain medical terms. I highly recommend her to anyone experiencing either sleep or pulmonary issues.