Dr. Joe Walker MD Patient Reviews

• 1 comment

• Good
  • Bad

February 3rd, 2011
I really am not a fan of shrinks. I generally find their advice to be questionable, vague and their manner either imperious or impotent. Most of them seem to see every solution as either a matter of adopting their personal philosophy of life or a simply figuring out the right drugs and dosage. I like to make my own decisions and Im not interested in medicating my problems away. (No offense to those who use anti-depressants or other drugs, in some cases they can be very valuable, but this wasnt MY answer.)However, when a number of circumstances took their toll and I started to get a little too stressed, it seemed like a good idea to talk to someone. I actually know a large number of medical and psychological professionals - some good friends, but there's no way that I would ever go to them for advice. (They're all crazy and/or have disastrous personal lives.) So, I asked my internist for a referral and he sent me to Joe Walker.Ive been seeing him weekly for about four months. I have an excellent opinion of him. My experience has been universally positive. I have felt very comfortable with his consultative approach, which is essentially to figure out what kind of person you are and to learn to live within that mold and have a happy life. He has not challenged my desire to make my own decisions, which is one of the reasons why this works so well for me. But he has been extremely helpful in pointing out my own self-delusions, in driving me to answer questions that I might avoid asking myself and by pointing out contradictions in my own reasoning. He is very perceptive, empathetic and kind. He can be very direct, sometimes express frustration and certainly doesnt conceal his opinions, but Ive never felt uncomfortable with him. If anything, I feel that his honesty has been very helpful in developing a trusting relationship.My experience with him has allowed me to continue under challenging circumstances, and work towards my personal and professional goals. I dont know how I would have been able to do it without him.

June 26th, 2016