Joel Alvear III MD Patient Reviews

2.9
  • 24 reviews

April 29th, 2015
Horrible
Two different vists were over 4 hours wait time!.and Renae the desk lady should be fired

April 27th, 2015
Bad Billing
Likes to retroactively bill 2 years after the visit. Ridiculous

June 5th, 2014
Bad!
The doctor spent only 5 minutes with me and provided incorrect medication. Very bad experience - I do not recommend this doctor.

May 25th, 2012
I think Dr. Alvear is kind and listens well. I have had better luck with his new location and office staff then the last location and staff. In his new location I only had to wait for hours one time. Now, I am usually in and out in one hour. This is huge progress!Why do you have to wait? Because he spends time with each patient, listens and EXPLAINS your blood work results and why he is prescribing meds and HOW they are going to interact with each other and affect your body.

February 22nd, 2012
Dr Alvear overdosed me and now I could go blind
I had bloodwork done and it showed that I was extremely hypothyroid. Dr Alvear didnt pay attention and prescribed me a t4 compound and armour thyroid. 2 of the same medications. 30 minutes after taking it, my vision went from really clear to cloudy and blurry in a matter of seconds. I told him and he prescribed me another medication to counteract, and it didn't help at all. Ive seen 5 doctors after that, and they can't help me. Ive been to an opthamologist and a endocrinologist and 5 family practice doctors, no luck. They turn me away and keep wanting to do bloodwork which, how often do I have to give blood before im cured? What he did is so wrong. Can you imagine getting your eyesight taken away from you because of an incompetent doctors mistake? Now, I have thyroid eye disease or Graves' disease. I am barely an adult and now I can't see even with glasses on. Do not go to this doctor. He doesnt spend much time with you plus, something happened a few weeks ago and now he cannot prescribe narcotics. Hmmm....maybe he had relations with another patient? Sounds like a nightmare.

February 22nd, 2012
I love my Dr Alvear. Have been going to him since he first started practicing. His current office staff leaves alot to be desired. They have no clue what is important and what isn't. Dr Alvear was better off when he had his Mother & Aunt working for him. They were sooo good. I loved them also. He is very overloaded but that's because he is so wonderful

January 23rd, 2012
Very Professional
Dr. Alvear is an excellent and caring Dr.

January 13th, 2012
Great Family Dr. - Caring
I have Lymphodema in my arm. It becomes very infected and when I do get an infection in it it happens fast. Dr. Alvear has always been there to monitar and prescribe treatment. He has taken care of my family for many, many years.

October 18th, 2011
Richard Bruder
I have never had such great customer service, and the quickness of visit is unbeatable. I have already referred two friends, who I met and have known for years online chatrooms. I am grateful for Dr Alvear allowing me to feel so at ease and not judge me. I will continue to refer patients with my same pshchological issues. THANK YOU SO MUCH for making my stressful life just a little easier

August 20th, 2011
Elated at first....
When I first saw Dr. Alvear, I was thrilled. I felt like I had finally found a doctor who understood hormonal imbalance in women, particularly progesterone deficiency and Estrogen dominance. I felt listened to and like he knew exactly what I needed. When he prescribed progesterone to correct my problem, it worked...at the follow-up visit, he tweaked the meds. and I felt even better. Then, I couldn't get through to the office to make another appt. The answering machine would pick up on business days and the machine would be full. When I showed up, in person, to make an appt. since I couldn't get through on the phone, I was chastized and told that I really needed to call. A snort and a "hmph" when I said I tried. It got to the point that it was such a fight to make an appt. I just gave up. Fortunately, I think the treatment I had jumpstarted my body to correct the hormone deficiency on it's own. However, I've recently had issues again and made an appt. with an endocrinologist in Houston. With the drive and appt. it was less time than I spent waiting in Dr. Alvear's office and the doctor is organized, efficient and also seems quite knowledgable in hormonal imbalance in women. I do think Dr. Alvear seems very educated in this area, and as it is very underserved, I hope he is able to overcome the difficulties he is having and continue to contribute to the study and treatment of hormonal imbalance in women and men. Having 3 small children, I could not continue to waste my time simply trying to make an appt.

February 11th, 2011
An Excellent Doctor
I have been a patient of Dr Alvear for several years. I would say that he has literally saved my sanity and life. After a motorcycle accident where I broke my neck and a round of Dr's who if they can't operate on it they have no clue what to due. After my neck was fused the nerve damage was done. I lost my health insurance and am fighting for disability during this time Dr Alvear has worked with me at every turn. Prior to his move to the new location his mother and aunt worked the front desk and to hear the way ppl talk about them is ridiculous. I was on a trip and ran out of my medication it can't be called in so his aunt took the prescription to my pharmacy so that I could go by on my way home from the airport and pick it up since it was after hours and then see him that week without issue. If you treated them with respect they treated you the same. I prefer things a little crazy to see a good Dr who cares then to go to a cookie cutter outfit that doesn't listen.Since the move to the new location things have improved in how patients are seen, I do miss his mom and aunt but the girls are very helpful and his nurse practitioner is awesome and she frees Dr Alvear time to see his patients. Do you have to call more then once sometimes to get someone sure you do but its not the first or last Dr's office that will happen at. As for the wait that happens because he does spend the needed time with each patient. It's sad that a few people who have issues want to cause issues. Trust me there are 10 times more patients who are very happy with Dr Alvear and will continue to see him. So if you are looking for a Dr that runs on a time table skip it, but if you are looking for a Dr who cares and takes the time to listen Dr Alvear would be a great choice.

February 1st, 2011
VERY SCARED! VERY LET DOWN.
I have been seeing Dr. Alvear for many, many years. I always thought he was a wonderful person and doctor. That was the "trade-off" for the longest waits a person could bear, being unable to get through for questions or to schedule an appointment,ect. When I DID get an appointment, many a month over the past several years, the wait has literally been hours. A 2:00 appt. may turn to 4:00 or 4:30. then when you consider the next drive and wait for tour prescriptions, the day has turned to night, or at best, rush hour.Recently, he changed locations, to the Katy Wellness Center, with Wendy Walker (chiropractor), in old Katy, making the visits a nightmare. At this time, he no longer had or has a cell phone,a personal line for HIS patients, and the Katy Wellness Center phone is usually unreachable. IF you get a recording, you are referred to the E.R. How unfortunate for all patients, especially those, like me, without health insurance and 3 chronic illnesses. I am on several prescriptions that I cannot do without, along with samples of blood pressure meds, and anti-depressents. I have been trying to reach him after getting hit from behind in a serious car accident. I was told I broke my neck at West Houston hospital, very frankly to put it mildly. They said there was nothing more they could do for me, because of the absence of a neurosurgeon at their facility. Ben Taub came and took me to their trauma center, where by the Grace of God, the catscans and MRI's were repeated and I came out of this with fractures on both sides of my neck. I tried numerous times to get through to Dr. Alvear, to no avail. Finally, an appt. was scheduled for today, by my daughter while she was on speaker phone, yesterday. This was done with me sitting there. I showed up today, and as usual, the office staff was rude, offensive, uncaring and tried their best to intimidate me. I did get angry and said a few things while arguing that I should not have said. Both of these creatures, I mean receptionists, picked up there phones to call 911 on me. They seemed like this was common practice if things are not going their way. I came in with a claim # to see Dr. Alvear and get help from the Chiropractor. When I left, I said "Thank you fatso", being extremely stressed and upset. As I was headed home, I called to apologize for getting so upset and defensive (they would NOT let me speak to Dr. Alvear, and he even walked by at this time. This broke my heart and spirit). She, the same girl at the front desk, said the apology was not necessary because they dismissed me forever from coming back and Dr. Alvear was at the present time, also writing me a letter of dismissal. All my meds are due on Feb.4th and You CANNOT go off these meds without tapering back or you can have seizures, at best. Now I do not have blood pressure meds or anti-depressents. This scares me and my whole family, because I don't know what the reprocussions are going to be. I am over 50 and don,t want to die over this. No money or insurance. No respect, no caring whatsoever. So, so sad to be dismissed as if I never existed at all. Wish me luck, or better yet please pray for me, because thats all You can do. Thankyou and God Bless each and every person who reads this, even if you think I deserved this for arguing with the Walker Staff. There is no Alvear staff...