inactive

Joel A Amundson MD Patient Reviews

3.2

May 6th, 2012
Dr. Joel really cares about his patients and puts a lot into being available and thoughtful in his advice. I really appreciate that he looks to the least invasive options first and highly values good nutrition.

September 14th, 2011
The Perfect Balance
What I appreciate most about Dr. Joel is his ease and knowledge around diagnosing problems and issues. Specifically I appreciate that he gives us all our options on a particular issue. Considering our previous Pediatricians most used phrase was "I don't know." Dr. Joel is the polar opposite and the perfect balance. Regardless if it's been sleeping issues, eczema, or pneumonia. He gave us all of the options, weighed with pros and cons for us as parents to make our own choice. He is not quick to throw antibiotics, medications, or invasive or expensive testing at an issue. Which at first came as a shock. He will however hold the line If there is a particular issue he feels strongly about when he feels a test, or prescription is medically necessary. I appreciate the power of choice he gives us, and at the same time trust him to hold firm on things that really matter, and he does. In addition to this there are many other things that make him the perfect doctor for our children. His kindness and over all authentic manor. The warm non-rushed atmosphere of his clinic and the extra time he spends at each visit. Great accessibility and availability with urgent questions beyond clinic hours. He's natural in his approach to children, not naturopathic. He's an MD that is medically minded with an inclination to minimal intervention, or rather medical intervention only when necessary. We feel lucky to have found him!

September 14th, 2011
I highly recommend Dr. Joel. When our daughter was an infant she was colicky. We tried everything to soothe and help her to sleep. We felt helpless and at our wit's end. Dr. Joel listened and supported us to try a plan that took into account our daughter and our family needs. We immediately experienced positive results, and were able to build on the plan ourselves. Having Dr Joel's listening ear and support was a gift in our sleep deprived, desperate state!

February 27th, 2011
Poor Listener, Arrogant, and Uses Scare tactics
If you check his grades on vitals.com, urbanmamas and other sites you will find what we did: parent after parent upset with the care their child recei ...

January 12th, 2011
Wonderful doctor
Dr Joel is an excellent pediatrician and our experience with him has been very good. He's thoughtful and very conscientious. His approach to medicine is based on current research, common sense and simple practicality which I find extremely refreshing. He keeps up with the latest, he does not jump to prescribe medication at the slightest whiff of a problem, but neither does he hesitate to use it when the situation calls for it. He spends time listening to concerns and issues and above all, seems to really pay attention.

January 2nd, 2011
Alternative?
I choose not to vaccinate and I thought I was going somewhere where that was accepted. We ended up spending an entire 1 hour talking about vaccines and why they are so important and when he saw that I wasn't interested, he brought up my civil duty and how other things like mercury is in our food so a little in the vaccine isn't so terrible! Is this guy for real? He tried to scare me into vaccinating my child by telling me he's seen children die and be really sick if only they had gotten the vaccine. And how I wouldn't want that to happen to my son. That's so inappropriate. Of course he's seen the worse. That's like my cop neighbor telling me not to go outside because crime happens!

December 14th, 2010
Excellent Care Giver!!
Dr Joel gives loads of information on his website. He is thorough, patient, caring and informed. I appreciate how candid yet non judgmental in his approach. He asks his patients to be committed to being involved and on time to appointments which allows for succeeding appointments to be on time. He cares on a higher level with how you are raising your child and the affects it has on the world we live in. When our son was an infant and he became ill we were able to get him in to see Dr. Joel last minute on multiple occasions, it was very reassuring.I would highly recommend Dr. Joel

August 23rd, 2010
Wasn't for me..
I DO NOT recommend this doctor unless you are 100% committed to living a completely all natural lifestyle - otherwise, he'll leave you feeling completely judged and feel like you're poisoning your child. I tend to take it easy and relax a bit while consuming organic food and using reusable shopping bags and do not want someone making me feel like a bad parent because I use scented soap.

May 5th, 2010
Truly the best doc my family has ever worked with...
let me first mention that Dr. joel is making a house call today to do a 1st meeting with our newborn twin sons. Yes, a house call. He also manages care for my daughter and has been perfect overcoming her fear of docs (ER visit at 18 months was very traumatic). . He brings is full attention to each visit, is well informed and amazing at conveying that information in an understandable way. He spent nearly 45 minutes going over vaccination information with me, and as a new mom, that we a big concern for me. (we do vaccinate on a reduce schedule and have opted out of some) He is invaluable to my family.

November 30th, 2009
When I read his website and met him the first couple times I thought I had found a great doctor. In reality he is apathetic and always makes sure he gets his money first. I was terrified at my son's high fever and tried to call for advice, he called back after I had gotten to the ER. The second time I called was to make sure they were about to give him a different antibiotic from last time, not know how bad it would be if he got the same one. He said he did not know what he had last time and this isn't something I should bother him about after hours. I cried. I just wanted to make sure my son was safe.

October 6th, 2009
He was the doctor that I wanted for my child and I was so happy to have found him by accident. He is not agressive with treatment but encourages the body to treat itself before medicine is administered. This is the approach (natural I guess) I wanted. But then there was a mistake on his part when he didn't diagnose something pretty serious. My baby had gone through a lot of discomfort and pain. I am not sure what to think.

September 21st, 2009
Thoroughly Impressed
We have been with Dr. Joel now for 11 months and are completely happy with our care. He treats our children with dignity and respect. They adore going there and we appreciate his "old school" practice.