Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Jan 17th, 2015

Dr. Buchalter did an anterior Hip Replacement for me 2 years ago, and then last year did a Total Knee Replacement. He is a doctor who I won't hesitate to recommend. He gives each patient a lot of time to explain things and answer questions. He is a really kind and patient centered doctor and a great surgeon.

WORTH THE WAIT show details WORTH THE WAIT
by Linda Yuknevich on Dec 6th, 2013

NEVER RUSHES AND ANSWERS ALL MY QUESTIONS. CARMINE AND FRAN ARE ALSO WONDERFUL.

Ggood bedside but is that enough show details Ggood bedside but is that enough
Oct 23rd, 2012

He's quite charming and seems to listen and does answer questions but when I had a major problem and after an MRI he misdiagnosed. His solutions included 3 separate operations. Went to another 2 doctors (one at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC)and both agreed on a diagnosis of 1 procedure and his misdiagnosis. It's been 6 months and am doing well.

Dr. Joel Buchalter show details Dr. Joel Buchalter
Sep 11th, 2012

Dr. Buchalter did a total hip replacement surgery on me about 5 weeks ago (8/3/12) at PUTNAM Hospital Center. I was and still am, extremely impressed at the work he did for me.This is not like having one's appendix removed. It is far more complex, painfull during the recovery period of (for me, 6 weeks and serious. It's big time surgery. Yet, he does these all the time and for many years.He made it look easy. Dr. B is pure professional, very capable and heck, I really can find nothing at all negative. Thank God I chose him. I am 69 years old and do not suffer well. AND, I love to complain.But not this time! The only thing which is upsetting is, I cannot find anything about which to complain.I hate it when that happens!Thanks, Joel. In fact, thank God for Dr. Buchaltar.Dr. James Mortellaro, Ph.D.

Compassionate and Through show details Compassionate and Through
Jul 21st, 2012

Dr. B is one of the most compassionate and through doctors I've ever had. I know going to my appointment I will have to wait awhile, but I don't mind. He isn't one of those 5 minute doctors; he is willing to take the time to answer all of your questions, he is never rushed. Also, he is one of those surgeons that will be honest telling you what he can and can't do. He's not one of those surgeons who think that they are god and can do no bad. I highly recommend Dr. Joel Buchalter.

May 30th, 2012

I had two hip revisions done, one in 2010 and the other in 2011. The original replacements were done in 1993 by another surgeon. Dr. Buchalter's skill and caring nature are beyond compare. I understood what needed to be done and have had no regrets having him perform the surgery. His PA, Ben, is awesome too.

THIS MAN RUINED MY KNEE show details THIS MAN RUINED MY KNEE
Jul 16th, 2011

All he had to do was clean a tiny meniscal tear in my knee and now years later it is worse than it was before the surgery. I would not recommend this doctor to anybody find someone else.

OUTSTANDING SURGEON show details OUTSTANDING SURGEON
by A Patients Daughter on Mar 21st, 2011

Dr. Buckhalter performed a HIGHLY successful double knee replacement in the Spring of 2010 on my 74 year old mother, who is a high risk patient. This surgery set the clock back about 20 years for my mom. Aside from the excellent medical attention she was given, she also was cared for on a personal level - Dr. Buckhalter takes the time to get to know each of his patients and goes the extra mile(s) to be sure they receive the best care possible (I even caught him visiting my mom on his day off - who does that!?!?). I can't say enough wonderful things about this doc, I would give him 100 stars out of 4 if that were possible.

Mar 15th, 2011

Had a total hip replacement. May need the other one replaced and I will be going back to Dr Buchalter. That says it all!!!!

no one could help me! show details no one could help me!
Feb 3rd, 2011

I am overweight to say the least. No one would touch my severely arthritic hip so I essentially had no quality of life. When I finally saw Dr. Buchalter he spent over an hour in the office with me. We discussed the treatment options and the risks in great detail. He offered me hope where no one else would. I had my hip replacement a few months ago and now have my life back. Within a few weeks I knew I would be better. His bedside manner is the best I have ever experienced. I should also mention his staff....Ben Spooner, a gentle, caring man who also has an excellent bedside manner. Dr. Buchalter is the best physician I have ever encountered! The office wait is worth the price of admission!

Nov 30th, 2010

He is professional and an expert in his field. Would highly recommended him.

Sep 18th, 2010

I can understand how people feel about waiting for dr buchalter, however I have never had a physician spend as much time with me. It seems as though he is never rushed and always answers all my questions. My hip, done at HSS failed, and dr. Buchalter reconstructed it. I am now pain free and back to playing tennis! His secretary Fran, is a pleasure and his PA Ben always helpful.

Jul 12th, 2010

I waited over THREE HOURS to see him on several occasions! On my last visit, after a three and a half hour wait I finally asked the front office staff to make a copy of my records. They obliged, but did not seem to care that they were losing me as a patient. While Dr. Buchalter is an excellent surgeon and my new hip works well, I could no longer tolerate the lack of consideration for my time.