Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Gary Holland on Aug 20th, 2016

One of the best doctors whom I have ever had the pleasure of receiving treatment from.

Apr 26th, 2016

Dr. Gelman is truly a unique doctor when dealing with his patience. I personally got a call from him before my visit to enquire in detail about my medical issues.

Patient show details Patient
by John Funk on Apr 19th, 2016

Dr. Gelman gave me my life back. He is truly the very best! I would give him 5 stars in all areas. Shalom!

by Justin L. on Feb 1st, 2016

I'm so grateful to Dr. Gelman and to his staff and the hospital for the excellent care and treatment I received. I was diagnosed with a urethral stricture by my own urologist and he suggested that I seek treatment from Dr. Gelman. Dr. Gelman was out of my insurance network but his assistant Denise was amazing about following up with insurance and helping me to finally get authorization to see Dr. Gelman. After seeing Dr. Gelman and having several tests it was decided that surgery was the best option for me to correct my stricture and have the lowest chance of recurrence. The recovery was rough, which was to be expected, but Dr. Gelman did an amazing job and 4 months later I can't believe what a huge difference the surgery has made. Dr. Gelman and his staff helped to change my life for the better and I'm so glad that I was able to go to the best doctor, staff, and facility to have my surgery. I would recommend that anyone who needs reconstructive surgery to do whatever you can to try and go see Dr. Gelman, he's the best.

by Robert Jasso on Oct 15th, 2015

Literally the best medical experience I have ever had. Very complex surgery made less scary by this wonderful doctor and staff.

by Juan Mejia on Mar 9th, 2015

Dr. Gelman fixes mistakes that other doctors do.

Urethral Stricture and subsequent Urethroplasty show details Urethral Stricture and subsequent Urethroplasty
by Adam Soloway on Feb 26th, 2015

I have had a life virtually free of medical issues, so this was my first surgery and major medical experience. In short, I will say two things about my experience for anyone that has been diagnosed with a urethral stricture and have thought about surgery to correct it: 1) Do it and 2) fly across the planet if you have to so to have Dr. Gelman do the procedure. I attest to everything he mentions on his website pertaining to this procedure, especially the night and day improvement. It wasn't a fun experience, but I'd go through it all over again for the results if I had to. And, Dr. Gelman is the specialist to goto, no question about it. There are good doctors, bad doctors, and everything in between but I'd place him above the scale at "great". Dr. Gelman and his office answered all of my questions, and really prepared me well with information before the procedure. And when it comes to a cystoscopy, I've had one before from another urologist and it was quite uncomfortable. But with Dr. Gelman, I've had two now and believe it or not it's virtually painless, you hardly feel a thing.

Excellent doctor show details Excellent doctor
Jan 19th, 2015

He is an exceptional doctor. I highly recommend him for patients with urethral strictures.

Dec 18th, 2014

He is Nice guy but he is not so good Dr.

A Medical Experience that Raises the Bar show details A Medical Experience that Raises the Bar
by Chris C on Jan 12th, 2014

First off I am afraid of any kind of surgical procedure and not a fan of hospitals. My experience with Dr Gelman, Denise, and his staff was the best I've ever had. I had a surgery when I was a young kid and it created a stricture within my urethra making it difficult to urinate. Due to my fear of a 2nd surgery I worked around the issue for over 25 years. I finally found Dr Gelman and he is the reason that I chose to go through 2 additional surgeries to correct the problem. These surgeries exceeded my expectation and changed my life for the better. The reason Dr Gelman is amazing is the quality of his work, care, and attention to detail. For me that was the most important. However in addition, Dr Gelman and his staff surprisingly made the entire experience "pain free". My expectation of reconstructive surgery and memories of my first surgery as a child was that pain would be involved. Dr Gelman's staff is incredible starting with Denise. Throughout all of my appointments, Dr Gelman and his staff were always on time and thorough. Dr Gelman is honest and sets the appropriate expectations. I give Dr Gelman and his staff my highest recommendation. The reconstructive surgery he performed changed my life! I feel so lucky to have found him. I wish every doctor performed at the same level as Dr Gelman. He is the benchmark for the best in the medical field.

Improved quality of life ! show details Improved quality of life !
by Joe M. on Dec 12th, 2013

I was born with severe hypospadius. I had multiple surgeries up to my 20th birthday. The ending result was a urethral stricture. I have suffered from this urethral stricture for over 25 years. My voiding was horrible. Extremely weak stream. I could never empty my bladder. I had to run to the bathroom everything 30 minutes. When I went out I always had to know where a bathroom was. Straining my bladder trying to push the urine through the stricture. I found a self proclaimed urethral structural specialist in NJ. All he would do is dialate my urethra causing me more complications, infections, septic blood infections with IV antibiotics with long hospital stays. I told myself I suffered enough! I searched the web and found Dr. Gelman. I emailed Dr. Gelman. He called me and we spoke for almost an hour. I explained my situation. Dr. Gelman felt confident he could help me. I flew out to California and was evaluated by Dr. Gelman. Dr. Gelman explained the 2 stage operations for urethroplasty reconstruction repair. I'm 5 months post op 2nd stage surgery. I urinate amazingly. My steam is Strong. Dr. Gelman ended my suffering. Dr. Gelman improved my quality of life. I can never thank Dr. Gelman enough. I highly recommend if you, or a Loved one is suffering, from a urethral problem, please contact Dr. Gelman. Do not let another surgeon operate / experiment/ practice on you.

The best! show details The best!
Nov 5th, 2013

In the spring of 2013, I acquired a bladder neck contracture following robotic prostate surgery. My urologist’s approach to treatment included painful dilations of the bladder neck and trips to the emergency room when that didn’t work. I called Dr. Gelman for an evaluation. Following the evaluation Dr. Gelman explained that he wanted to perform a bladder neck incision. His confidence in the procedure gave me the trust that I needed to go forward. Two weeks later I had the surgery. Since the surgery, my bladder neck contracture has been cured without causing problems with incontinence. I feel that the cost of the surgery was reasonable and clearly explained to me. For these reasons, I would like to recommend Dr. Gelman and his staff to anyone who is having complications following prostate surgery. If you don’t feel confident in your doctor’s approach, give Dr. Gelman a call or leave him a message on his website. You won’t regret it.

by Mike on Oct 9th, 2013

Great experience! Very professional and helpful. I would go back to him in the future.

Gave me my life back! show details Gave me my life back!
by JJ on Sep 22nd, 2013

Thank you, Dr. Gelman for giving me my life back!!! I suffered from intolerable incontinence stemming from radical prostatectomy, external beam radiation, transverse myelitis, a urinary sling implant and explant due to infection, surgery for pelvic osteomyelitis, and months of intravenous antibiotics five times a day. After this series of difficulties, my regular urologists were hesitant to perform additional surgery to help me conquer my incontinence and referred me to Dr. Gelman. I made an appointment to see Dr. Gelman and discuss my situation. Surprisingly, he called me, on Thanksgiving Day, to chat before the appointment. I was very impressed that he would take time away from a family holiday to talk on the phone with a patient. After seeing Dr. Gelman at my first appointment and having some tests performed, he was willing to perform surgery to implant an AUS (artificial urinary sphincter). Dr. Gelman's appointments administrator, Denise, is also a gem. Having a friendly, helpful person such as Denise makes a huge difference, both by phone and by email.  I had the AUS surgery done by Dr. Gelman in the spring of 2013. I can not begin to express how pleased I am with the results of this surgery. The surgery, while very complicated because of my past history, went well, and there was no infection afterward. And the results were unbelievable. For the first time in five years, the fear and embarrassment from severe incontinence is now gone.    My wife and I are going to Europe to celebrate, something I have been unable to do for the past five years. We plan on taking pictures of me standing in front of the Eiffel Tower with a sign that says, "Merci, Dr. Gelman!!"

Patient's Mother show details Patient's Mother
by Meredith on Mar 13th, 2013

Dr. Gelman took care of our then-8 year old son's urology issues. He was the only urologist (we have seen more than 5) to actually find out what the issue was by carefully examining and testing. He then recommended a very minor surgical procedure to correct our son's urine flow. It has been about 7 months since the surgery, and we are very pleased with the results.

My Miracle show details My Miracle
by JT on Feb 6th, 2013

There are surgeons and there are virtuosos, those that are so good that they operate on a higher level than even the best. Doc Gelman is a caring, compassionate, incredible virtuoso surgeon. He is the best - plain and simple. There is no one better. I had 3 prior surgeries (2 were urethroplasties) by an alleged expert at a major well known medical center back east, after a lifetime of being treated for urethral strictures. Nothing worked. In 2012, I had to endure a supra pubic catheter for most of the year because I could not void. Beforehand last surgery I was being prepared to learn how to self-catherize myself (never an option with Doc Gelman). Then Doc Gelman saved my life. In a 10 hour surgery, he corrected my urethral blockage, and now I void better than I have over my entire life. His nurse and assistant (Lulu) is patient, kind, caring and incredible. His interns at the hospital (UCI) were excellent. His office staff worked with me (Denise) to have my surgery covered by insurance when my insurer had rejected Doc Gelman's services 3 times, claiming someone else could do the repair. They were wrong - there is only one Doctor who could perform this miracle and it was Doc Gelman. Thank you so much to hos team for your kindness, expertise and for being the best at what you do.

Excellent Physician show details Excellent Physician
by BRW on Feb 6th, 2013

Dr. Gelman took the time to fully answer any questions that I had. He even called us and spent over 20 minutes discussing my condition before I even selected him as my physician. That was his own time. He is very professional and dedicated to helping his patients overcome their disorders (in my case, urethral stricture). I would be glad to provide you with additional information. Please reach me through Dr. Gelman's office manager.

A Dedicated Physician show details A Dedicated Physician
Nov 5th, 2012

Dr. Gelman is a dedicated physician. He corrected a previous surgery by another doctor that left me dealing with horrible results.The original surgery was rushed and completed in only 40 minutes. Dr. Gelman didn't expect his revision to take more than three hours, but after starting the surgery he discovered much more to be done than he could have anticipated. Dr. Gelman and his team patiently took 5 hours to complete the surgery.Another surgeon could have been held responsible. Dr. Gelman could have walked away and helped someone with a simpler (or at least less time consuming) problem, but he hung in there with me and made sure my surgical results were excellent. Dr. Gelman and his staff did a wonderful job, they went above and beyond in helping me through this process. I recommend him highly.

Phenomenal doctor! show details Phenomenal doctor!
Jul 10th, 2012

I can't think of anything negative to say about Dr. Gelman. He's an amazing doctor - confident, knows what he's talking about, has tons of experience, will take the time to answer your questions, etc. I flew to see Dr. Gelman from another city after doing a TON of research and it was the right choice. He did a great job on my surgery and I would highly recommend him for anyone with a urethral stricture.

Exceptional Experience show details Exceptional Experience
Mar 27th, 2012

Dr. Gelman is an absolute gem. Never did I feel like another number but instead, Dr. Gelman made me feel like my care was his utmost priority. He was kind enough to take an hour of his time (on the phone and not billed) to speak with my family and I about the evaluation process. After the initial conversation I elected to travel 2,500 miles to visit Dr. Gelman and ultimately I chose to entrust in Dr. Gelman with my procedure. Everything he told was dead on regarding how life would be like during my Urethroplasty. While there are doctors that could have provided me services with in a short drive of my home, Dr. Gelman was the only one that made me feel comfortable with the process from start to finish. Don't hesitate, if you are in need of Urethroplasty, go see Dr. Gelman!

Very knowledgeable, confident doctor show details Very knowledgeable, confident doctor
Feb 3rd, 2012

Dr. Gelman really knows what he's talking about. He exudes confidence from doing hundreds of surgeries over many years. He spent plenty of time with me and answered all my questions. After doing a lot of my own research online, I wanted him to do my urethroplasty and now that it's done, I'm very happy I chose him. If you're going to have such a delicate procedure done, you can't go wrong with Dr. G.

the best show details the best
Jan 17th, 2012

From the very first visit with dr Gelman I knew he was the best specialist for my urethral stricture.I saw diffrenet urologist previously without finding a long term solution.He was able to tell me right away what needs to be done and now Its been 3 months since the serguryand Im doing amazing,do yourself a favor and see doctor Gelman you will be so thankfull you did.

Excellent Doctor!! show details Excellent Doctor!!
Jan 4th, 2012

I had a complex urological problem associated with ED and three previous surgeries in attempt to correct the issue by another doctor. Dr. Gelman corrected the problem with one surgery. However, his unrushed and detailed explanation of the procedure,compassion, and aftercare goes way beyond care I had previously received by other doctors. I highly recommend Dr. Gelman for anyones urological care.

Apr 25th, 2011

What can I say. He is the man. The only doctor in the area that could fix my problem/issue.

Beyond Excellent show details Beyond Excellent
Feb 18th, 2011

Anyone who has ever suffered a stricture knows how incredibly debilitating they are. Dr. Gelman is the leader in the field of reconstruction, and completely changed my health. There is no equal to Dr. Gelman that I know of working in the U.S.

by Bryan Wade on Jan 24th, 2011

Dr. Gelman was great from the start he spent time with me on the phone explaining what would take place step by step, his diagnosis was right on, and the procedure was successful.

Absolutely the best! show details Absolutely the best!
by Joe from San Diego on Jan 16th, 2011

Dr. Gelman was recommended independently by several trusted doctors based on his experience and successes. Based on my own experience, he met, and even exceeded all of my expectations. He explained what would happen every step of the way and took the time to answer all of my questions. His surgical repair of my severed urethra due to a motorcycle accident pelvic injury was masterful. I had a fast and painless recovery with full functioning.

I Wouldn't Trust Anyone But Dr. Gelman show details I Wouldn't Trust Anyone But Dr. Gelman
by Bill H. on Oct 31st, 2010

My urethra was torn apart in a car accident. My local urologist said he was not qualified to reconstruct a urethra. He said it is a very delicate operation, and there are only two doctors in the United States who consistently do it well. One of those two doctors is Dr. Joel Gelman. (I believe he said the other doctor is in Virginia.) I visited Dr. Gelman and was extremely impressed with his caring nature and his confidence that he could reconstruct my urethra. He performed the operation, and it was a total success! I urinate normally now. My local urologist wanted to perform a cystoscopy on me recently. This is where a scope is passed through the urethra into the bladder. Although the local doctor had good intentions, I only trust Dr. Gelman with my urethra. I wouldn't trust anyone else. Therefore, I drove the distance to get to Dr. Gelman and had him perform the cystoscopy. As expected, he did an excellent job, and I am fine.I can't speak highly enough of Dr. Gelman and would DEFINITELY recommend him.

Urethral Reconstruction Surgery show details Urethral Reconstruction Surgery
by Matt Landers on Oct 27th, 2010

My surgery by expert accounts, was very difficult with a 7 hour total surgery time, and week hospital stay, followed by another 3 weeks bed rest. From first diagnosis, and scope, to recovery room, Dr. Gelman and his staff were first rate. Prior to the surgery, Dr. Gelman laid out all of my options. Post surgery, I received routine visits from both Dr. Gelman, and his staff of interns and residents. Follow up visits have been perfectly scheduled ahead of time, and have resulted in little or no wait time before the appointment. The results of the surgery were better than I could ever have imagined. While post op recovery was a little painful, I am completely pain free four months to the day after the surgery. If you are deciding on a similar surgery, you owe it to yourself to at least meet with Dr. Gelman and get your options straight. He is a leader in this specific surgery for a reason.

Dr. Joel Gelman show details Dr. Joel Gelman
by Everardo Martinez on Feb 25th, 2010

Dr. Joel Gelman in my opinion is the best doctor. He kindly talked to me, and gave me my surgery to the best of his ablilities. He also he treated me with respect and care before, and after my surgery. I greatly appreciate him and I would recommend him to anyone.

Nov 18th, 2009

The reconstructive surgery changed my life... I was getting ready to use diapers and catheters, but the reconstructive surgry saved me from all that- no more incontenence and very good flow rates.

Mr. show details Mr.
by Charle Riker on Apr 4th, 2009

Dr. Gelman treated me with great respect and completed the surgery with fabulous results.I would recommend him to anyone with Urology problems that he has expertise in.