Dr. Joel Hoekema MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine Bellingham, WA

March 14th, 2017
AVOID THIS DOCTOR
Avoid this arrogant verbally abusive doctor. Don't let him do surgery on you!

February 21st, 2017
Hip Surgery
Successful

August 2nd, 2016
No help
I went to Dr. H. and he had the results of my MRI. He told me that he wouldn't do surgery because I have had the problem since 1971. The Seattle V.A. hospital took out the L-5 disc. But for some reason I started to have severe pain in the area of L-5 about six months ago.My primary care DR referred me to massage,physical therapy, and the pain clinic. The pain clinic Dr told me that what they had to offer wouldn't fix my problem, and referred me to Dr. H for surgical intervention. I pleaded with Dr. H that nothing I had done relieved my pain and the pain clinic Dr. told me that a " bone spur" was pressing on my L-5 nerve, and that surgery was necessary. Dr. H's had no empathy at all for me being in pain for six months. I was shocked at his I don't care attitude. as I write this, I am in severe pain even after taking my pain medication. I am in shock that a Dr. could be so heartless!!!

May 17th, 2016
Worst Doctor Ever!!!
I was referred to Dr. Hoekema in Bellingham by my primary care physician from Anacortes. Dr. Hoekema entered the examining room and flicked through my MRI like a kid on a video game (2-3 seconds max). Then he turns to me and says, "Why are you here?" I explained that I have had hip pain for 5 months and my hip was popping in an out of the socket. Then he said, "No, why are you here? Why didn't you just go to a doctor in Anacortes?" I explained why and he said, "I can't help you." A 3 minute appt

January 26th, 2015
Amazing competent surgeon
Took several years to muster up the courage to have back surgery but am so thankful that dr Hoekema was able to relieve the terrible back pain. With Hindsight should have done it years ago. Dr Hoekema did an excellent job .he was friendly competent and his staff was too

February 20th, 2014
bad experience
We went to see Dr. Hoekema, as my son had been previously diagnoised with Scoliosis by a GP, who instructed us to see a specialist. He had xrays taken months ago. After having him walk a few steps, the Dr. said "he doesn't have scoliosis", Then he told us their whole computer system was down, and he could not bring up any xrays or information at this time. He would look later, and call if he felt it was important. He asked my son how much pain he was in, my son said "excruciating". My son is 18 and been to the Dr. about 5 times in his life, he never complains and is healthy. He has been in pain, and scared about all of this. The Dr. gave us a list of Physical Therapist and sent us out the door! No follow up due to the problems of not being able to access xrays on the computer. NOTHING!! He was less than compassionate, and seeminly uncaring. I felt horrible for my son as we left. I thad taken off work, we drove 2 cars in for the appointment as we live out of the city and would be going different directions after the appointment. And for what?? This guy never looked at him, never saw the xrays, not interested at all, just got us out of there as fast as possible. I am hurt, livid and unsure where to go from here. you can treat me alot of ways, but not my son, who is a good guy that is in pain and trouble. We came for help and got treated like scum. I don't know why??? My son will go see a Physical Therapist, we must try something. And I have a couple refferals from people in my office that I am going to schedule a real appointment with, and hopefully get some answers. But the idea we were treated so badly after we had waited, and been so nervous and anxious for this appintment is inexcusable. Some people should not be in the field they are in. This Dr. is one of those people. I would never go out of my way to "bad mouth" anybody, but I feel this needs to be put out there. I am not done writing letters about this either. Shame, shame on you Dr. Hoekema!

February 8th, 2013
Bad Experience, not surgical? Don't bother.
I had a HORRIBLE experience with Dr. Hoekema. He talked to me for 5 minutes before he decided that all I needed was some "exercise". I have had constant pain in my neck and back for a year and there is definitely something wrong, but because he doesn't think its surgical he blew me off. It was a total waste of time and money. I had to insist on getting an order for an MRI because he wanted to just throw me out the door. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GUY.

February 21st, 2012
Dr. Hoekema is a wonderful doctor. He adds a "care" factor to his patient contact that is refreshing compared to other doctors. He is very knowledgeable and his diagnosis was right on. I would highly recommend him.

February 2nd, 2012
superb ACDFx2 treatment
Prior nerve damage swiftly diagnosed, demonstrated and immediately treated. Relatively painless spinal work done with minimally invasive incision. Scar almost invisible at 3 weeks time. Previous constant great sharp pain now gone, replaced by gradually receding fairly mild ache expected to disappear over time.