Dr. Joel Horowitz MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.5

April 15th, 2016
EXCELLENT SURGEON
Excellent doctor and surgeon! Totally trust whatever he recommends. I have had breast cancer twice, and he has done all of my surgeries. Great technique and very little scarring.

July 6th, 2015
Dr.Horowitz, despite all of the negative reviews that I have seen, is actually a very good doctor. He was kind at all times to my family and I, and had an extensive knowledge about what my problem was. I had a pilonidal cyst that developed in February, and I had it lanced by him two weeks after I got it. He easily relieved the pain and instructed my family on how to treat the wound for a few weeks. Furthermore, just today, I had a pilonidal cystectomy done by Dr. Horowitz to extract the cyst once and for all surgically. He did the procedure well in time, as he promised in the pre-operative area. In the post-operative area, following surgery, he inquired about how I was feeling and said that he'll see me in the office next week to check up on me. Overall, Dr. Horowitz was a great doctor in this sense, and I would recommend him to anyone that may need minor surgical treatment such as the one I received today.

May 5th, 2014
Total quack.
This jerk told my husband that his gallbladder was "fine" although he did have gallstones and severe pain. He told us my husband didn't need to have gallbladder surgery and the pain was musculoskeletal back pain. Turns out, his gallbladder DID need removed. This guy is very condescending and does NOT listen to his patients. He seemed to have contempt for the primary caregiver for even suggesting that my husband needed surgery. Luckily, the next surgeon was far more astute. Do NOT go to this doctor!

February 4th, 2013
Agree with a lot of what other reviewer's stated. We went to this appointment to get a second opinion on my wife's gall bladder issues, waited over 30 minutes past appointment time to see and was confronted with either signing or not signing some sort of "do not sue" document (this really inspired a lot of confidence). Responses provided by the doctor were very shallow, perfunctory, and often contrary to the opinions of other physicans. When queried about these contradictions the good doctor appeared to say "I'm right because I say so." I would not recommend this doctor to others.

August 31st, 2011
when is something going to be done about his mistakes???
I don't understand why he is still allowed to be a surgeon. I had my gallbladder removed by Dr. Horowitz. He made a big mistake and I had to go to Duke for more surgery to save my life. His bed side manners are terrible. He is so arrogate.

April 8th, 2011
Not the Best Choice!
Unfortunately, this doctor was on call when my father was admitted in the emergency room for abdominal distention and discomfort. From the very first encounter, Dr. Horowitz portrayed an aloof and uncaring demeanor. Whenever I or other family members attempted to inquire about my fathers prognosis or options for treatment, we were met with a cold stare, followed by a short answer in which Dr. Horowitz conveyed it was beneath him and a waste of his time to talk with us. During the month my father was in the hospital and under Dr. Horowitzs care, his condition consistently deteriorated. After many surgeries, performed by Dr. Horowitz, there was no improvement and my father passed away. During this most horrifically sad and painful time, not one family member felt Dr. Horowitz cared about anything other than lining his pockets. There will never be a time when any of my family members or I utilize or recommend this surgeon. I whole-heartedly believe, if my father had been assigned to any other surgeon, the outcome would have been positive.

April 5th, 2011
While I agree with most of the comments here re: his arrogance, rudeness, and horrible beside manner, he is a very good surgeon. My experience with him was a decade ago - he performed emergency surgery on me. My colon was abscessed and had perforated. He performed a colectomy on me and created a temporary stoma. I was horribly sick, and hated his cold mannerisms and God-like attitude. He reconnected my colon months later, and I have been very healthy since. He is skilled and competent, but has no patient empathy.

March 15th, 2011
Why is Dr. Horowitz Still Allowed to Practice Medicine?
Dealing with Dr. Joel Horowitz was and has been my familys worst experience ever!!!Dr. Joel Horowitz performed what should have been an uncomplicated routine procedure on my wife. During the procedure, Dr. Horowitz nicked one of my wifes bile ducts. The result was she had to hospitalized for three weeks instead of three days, had to have numerous tubes inserted to drain bile to keep it from leaking inside, suffered far longer than she should have, was unable to return to work as expected, and our hospital bills were astronomical. In addition, to top it off, Dr. Horowitz was unbelievably arrogant and uncaring during the entire process and ordeal. After reading the other reviews, WHY IS HE STILL ALLOWED TO PRACTICE MEDICINE?

January 31st, 2011
The Absolute Worst!
My experience with Dr. Horowitz was horrible. On several occasions, he has proven to be uncaring, incompetent, and unprofessional. I would never return to or recommend him!Many others have had the same exact experience.

January 13th, 2011
A nightmare
He did my hernia surgery. What a nightmare. The patch was not put in properly, it moved, and I had to have it removed. What should have been a routine surgery ended up with two week long hospital stays, a 12 scar on my stomach and a huge patch. I would not recommend using him for hernia surgery.

August 13th, 2010
From personal experience as a patient of Dr. Joel Horowitz and the experience of a loved one, I have found Dr. Horowitz to be a very incompetent surgeon and uncaring physician. His temperament, disposition, and bedside manner are arrogant, rude, and cold. He has the doctor complex and treats his patients and their families as imbeciles whose mental acumens are well below par. He lacks professionalism and the capability to correctly perform surgery the first timenot to mention the second and third times. After performing the third surgery on my loved one in less than a month, the result was death. I strongly advise you to keep yourself, family, and friends away from this surgeon!!