Psychiatrists

222 Middle Country Rd
Smithtown, NY 11787
631-265-1622
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

|  An expensive experience w/end result being: I didn't get help  |  show details
by Sadly Disappointed on Apr 15th, 2013

I liked Dr. King immediately. He does have a pleasant demeanor. He does listen to what you have to say. He has his own quirks though, like you have to sit in a certain chair in his office. I came to feel like a schmuck for ever deciding to use him when he needed multiple visits to *understand* exactly what my problem was since it was so complex( READ: 3 VISITS BEFORE ANY DIAGNOSIS WAS *SORT OF* MADE) He doesn't take regular insurance( I THINK he took Medicaid but don't hold me to it) & even if he did, my plan did not cover his services. I did not work at the time, so I had to borrow over 1 grand to make these visits. Long story short, the first drug prescribed caused a negative reaction which I know is not his fault- this field often requires trial and error with drugs. I was not happy that he gave me a fuzzy diagnosis; which meant he still was unsure of what I my condition was. Next visit- still without any sort of definitive diagnosis- he offers up another drug, one which I cannot take due to compromised kidneys. I tried to explain this but was sent out in a hurry, with a script for the meds and a blood test. I won't name the drug but it is a drug that is very unsafe for many people to take- even if they truly need it. My family was horrified when they saw the script and asked if I had explained to the doctor my medical condition. I told them what transpired. To make sure I was not over reacting, I spoke with other medical professionals( various Md's of mine) about Dr King's approach and his suggestion to take this drug, I was advised that it would be wise to cease using him. The surprise on their face was not just that the drug was dangerous- but that it totally didn't fit my symptoms at all. Why on earth did he give you this was basically said. So, I end up investing a lot of money I did not have, in waiting for a diagnosis, then being given a drug I should never take. Before giving up on Dr. King,I called the staff as a last ditch effort to see if Dr. King would reconsider another drug and if so, would he kindly let me pick up the script. I explained what the issue was and they just blew me off. I found this attitude odd, because when there in person, they were fairly pleasant. Wait time is 45-1 hr . Bring a book or a laptop- which is what I saw many patients do. I also saw many patients, clearly in some kind of pain or distress, exasperated by the overly long wait. A doctor's time is valuable- but so is the patient's. Maybe at one time Dr King was a great physician. He is personable and warm. But maybe now it is time to retire. Office clean very clean- with sometimes annoying music being played which does not help if you feel edgy or have a headache. He is based in a large professional bldg on a main road so he is easy to find and he is on ground level. Rather than say don't go to him for treatment, I prefer to say consider my story and others as a warning. So if it does not work out- you did not go in blindly. If it does work out- fantastic. *Note*- When I went the dog was no where in sight that another patient mentioned. For the person responding in defense of the dog and missing file ( apparently looks like office staff or the doctor) they should note that a HYPO ALLERGENIC dog does NOT mean you are definitely not going to have an allergic reaction to the animal. It means the likelihood is a lot less.

|  Malpractice Suit.  |  show details
Apr 28th, 2012

Dr. Joel King practicing in Smith town, NY Long Island Suffolk County is a fraud. Dr. Joel King should be given a malpractice suit specifically because he doesn't have a Degree in medicine at all. I have proof of my Doctors Visits with Doctor Joel King between the years of 2003-2008 where the visits conclude he has poor penmanship and misdiagnoses treatments of individuals medically.

|  moving on after 6 years  |  show details
Mar 2nd, 2012

Dr. King is okay. he seems to always know what he is talking about because he uses long strewn out explanations for everything. I liked him off the bat but the longer I saw him the less I liked him and respected him. I was all over the place for the six years and wasn't correctly diagnosed until 5 years in. I understand that my condition is known to be hard to diagnose however it is not all that uncommon and after 5 years of seeing him on an average of a bi-weekly basis, I think I deserved better for all the money I paid.Did I mention that he doesn't accept health insurance?Also he now only works 3x a week so he can be hard to get a hold of. And if you do not like waiting in a waiting room don't sign up with Dr. K. I've waited a few minutes a couple of times but on average about 45 minutes and even up to just under a couple of hours a few times.I want to say he's a good guy but I can't commit to it. His staff is terrific though. I could not say enough about them. They are personal, helpful, kind, and courteous.

|  In response to "anonymous dated 3-17-09"  |  show details
May 29th, 2009

The chart was not lost but was in storage, as are the inactive charts for the practice. Charts, once requested, are obtained in a reasonable and timely fashion. This incident had to have occurred over eight years ago, as the only time charts were temporarily put into storage was while moving from one location to another.As for the dog,a Maltese,a hypoallergenic breed, he is usually requested in sessions, but would absolutely be kept out should anyone request it!Shame on you for falsely bad mouthing a doctor and his practice.

|  show details
Mar 17th, 2009

Lost my file. Said it was in "his secretary's garage." Keeps his pet dog in session with you, even if you say you are allergic.