Family Practitioner, Internist, Pain Management Specialist
1801 NW Market St
Ste 209
Adams, Seattle, WA 98107
206-789-5418
Locations and availability (2)

2.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Double standards and incompetence  |  show details
by Lynne on Apr 9th, 2014

I am relatively new to the field of pain management and may not have much to compare to regarding Dr. Konikow. However I do have over 10 years of experience with all types of specialists from my illnesses and operations which required pain medication. May I just say that this doctor tries to put on a picture of concern and care for you but trust me it is all a big fake!! In reading the other reviews regarding criticism of his practice I wholeheartedly agree with all the other comments and complaints and will not bother to repeat them. I will add just a few additional remarks that may or may not have been others experience. The one area that Dr. Konikow is strong in is being prompt with no long waits in the lobby. After long and serious consideration before writing this review that is the one and only positive comment I can make about him after a year of so-called tretatment. He offered no alternatives whatsoever and yet while my pain persisted at my current dosage, he did nothing to help me manage my pain effectively and yet he accused me of covert behaviors to obtain additional narcotics. OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!! As any simpleton knows if you are a pain patient you depend upon this trust and therapy plan to survive. He never gave any sign of genuine concern, rather he cut off my comments and said we would talk at our next session about it or he would make so many errors in his transcription that I gave up trying to correct him out of simple exhaustion at trying to establish a rapport with this impotent and uncaring excuse for a pain management physician. Please listen to me and the others and don't waste your time with Joel Konikow. I fell into his fake scenario of being someone you could count on, I hope that my deplorable experience with him will be the one and only time I have to write a review like this. I have never before in over 40 years of medical care had the reason to write a review except for all the positive and truly caring physicians there are.

|  Horrible!!!  |  show details
by Mike on Aug 13th, 2013

This quack shouldn't even be allowed to practice medicine. Definitely not as a pain mngt Dr. He doesn't listen to a word you tell him. Then he basically calls you a liar when you see him the next month cause he didn't listen. He told me that I changed my story from the following month and from then on only saw me as a drug seeker lying about my pain. And he wasn't even prescribing my pain control meds, my pcp was. All his diagnosis is, is mind body syndrome. Basically saying the pain is all in your head. I think he comes up with that diagnosis for everybody because he's so unintelligent that he can't come up with anything else. Makes rude comments all the time. Not just to me, but to my wife also. I could go on and on with how horrible this guy is. Can't believe I stuck with him for 6 months. It's time for him to retire. Hopefully Swedish figures out soon how much money they are wasting on this guys salary and fires him. I left his care (if you can call it care) after my wife had a couple questions for him about my MRI and why couldnt some of the things it showed be the cause of the pain. He couldn't even answer simple questions. He told us we need to find a different dr because obviously we thought he was wrong. It was a question, we weren't even saying anything close to telling him he's diagnosing me wrong. Don't waste your time with this guy. He's a moron.

|  Would not recommend him.  |  show details
Aug 9th, 2013

After reading the other reviews, I agree, Dr Konikow is a waste of time. He does not listen and is quick to let you know the pain is all in your head. Dr Konikow is very combative, defensive and quick to judgement. I saw him for far too many years before I realized he was a waste of my time. After one visit to my new pain Dr., it was a breathe of fresh air. I would dread going to each appointment with Dr Konikow. He has no listening skills. If you said to him that is not what was discussed at our last appointment, he would not own up to his remarks and deny that he said something in the past. Save yourself the trouble to try and establish a patient Dr. relationship. He will give you the run around.

|  Worst medical experience ever  |  show details
Jul 30th, 2013

I have never been treated as horribly by any doctor as I was by this man. He was recommended to me by another doctor and at the very first appointment, I was not made to feel comfortable or welcome at all. Why I went back for four more verbal and mental abuse appointments, I have no idea. Our last appointment together was so distressing I couldn't function the rest of the night. I felt he was distracted during our appointments because he chose to verbally transcribe everything into the computer- most of which he either paraphrased me incorrectly or added information I never mentioned in the first. Not recommended.

|  show details
Apr 16th, 2013

This doctor is a complete waste of time and money. He is one of the worst doctors I have ever seen. He was suspicious of me from the first appointment I had with him because I told him Percocet was the only drug that had worked for my pain. When I asked him simple questions in a normal tone of voice he told me he felt he was being attacked. He said I needed to take a breath and process my anger. Hello I have chronic pain and I'm not supposed to be angry about that? Especially having wasted two sessions with this awkward man who has no alternative medicine for me to try? He is the reason medical schools need psychology classes to teach doctors how to handle patients who are in pain and upset not treat them with suspicion and offend them.

|  .Worst bedside manner ever!  |  show details
Nov 13th, 2012

I don't recommend Dr. Konikow one bit. Unless you want to be treated like your pain is all in your head, then don't go see him. All he does is mind body syndrome and if you don't buy into his way 100%, he will tell you to go elsewhere. He has the weirdest bedside manner and my appointments with him were just uncomfortable. Also, if you do see him, don't question what he is telling you are he will also kick you out. There are much better Dr's out there

|  Caring and thoughtful  |  show details
Mar 6th, 2012

Dr. Konikow really listened to me and I felt he was very understanding and sympathetic to my pain and symptoms. He was encouraging and positive and I am happy to be working with him.

|  Best Dr. I've Seen  |  show details
Nov 17th, 2011

Dr. Konikow is the best Dr. I've ever gone to. I've seen atleast 12-15 doctors in the last 4 years for my back problems. In those years I was bounced around from office to office with none of them knowing what to do next. In my first visit he spent an entire hour with me, the second visit he spent an hour 15 with me. All the other dr's do a 10 min eval and say lets try this. Dr. Konikow is the only one that has truly tried to understand where my pain is coming from. He even called me personally on his lunch hour the day after one of my procedures to see how it went and how I feel. He truly wants to understand and solve your problem. Most of the other offices just fill prescriptions, make me take a drug test monthly (to just charge insurance 400 per test. e.g. WA Center for Pain Mngt) and send me on my way. Dr. Konikow makes sure the medication is working and I'm happy with the relief I'm getting from it. I recommend him to anybody that's been bounced around from clinic to clinic.

|  TERRIBLE!  |  show details
Aug 18th, 2011

Worst pain management doctor I have EVER been too. Takes over a week to just hear back, even in emergencies. Half the time he doesn't know what he is talking about. Makes extremely rude comments that are way out of line. Had no respect for my wife.

|  Personal, friendly care  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2010

For about 4 years I saw Dr. Konikow monthly for pain management and general medical care. I couldn't recommend him more -- he is hands down the most caring and receptive doctor I have ever had.