2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Unstable, rather frighteningly so! show details Unstable, rather frighteningly so!
by Colleen on Jun 27th, 2016

Dr. Konikow did not seem inclined to be interested in the observations or ideas I as the patient attempted to express, he is very formatted and gets very agitated when I, unknowingly, would ask or address something before he was ready. He spent much time going over his note dictation, he uses Dragon and he would have to go back and correct it several times before we started the appointment, I learned to just wait quietly. He does not like to answer questions, I can only speculate given his mannerism that he found my questions beneath him. He is disturbingly fragile, as in when I would take to long contemplating an answer for him he would get snotty. This really is an unpleasant, insensitive and rigid doctor, and his ego tends to be more important to him than patient care.

Rude and unprofessional show details Rude and unprofessional
Jun 6th, 2016

Very poor at posing clear questions, rudely interrupted me when I tried to answer them. Did not explain himself well at all. The words that kept to mind throughout the visit were, "this guy is a real jerk." Once he gave a diagnosis he didn't provide any information on how to treat it. After I politely asked twice how we would proceed, he stated that it sounded like I was challenging him. No, doctor, I'm asking you to do your job. I still did not get a good sense of a treatment plan. When it became obvious that I was not inclined to make a return appointment, he tried to make it sound like he was the only doctor who could treat me and I was doing myself a disservice. I would be doing myself a disservice if I subjected myself to this man's unprofessional treatment again.

May 9th, 2016

Dr konikow was dismissive, argumentative, accusatory and arrogant. He made me feel very uncomfortable as if I was on trial. When I stated I didn't feel comfortable with the way he was speaking to me he shut down the appointment almost immediately. He was very unprofessional and discourteous. I do not recommend seeing him in any capacity.

May 2nd, 2016

My first appointment with Dr. Konicow (pronounced Konico) was very good, we both spoke. My 2nd appointment was difficult. I really didn't get to talk. I was thinking of not returning due to that fact. I decided that maybe he was having a rough day etc and I would give him the benefit of the doubt and go forward. My 3rd appointment went smoothly and I realized he does know his stuff. And actually he does listen and actually does what to help you in a manner that works for you. And we had a thoughtful exchange. I will continue to see him.

Feb 6th, 2016

Terrible, rude and arrogant.

Jan 22nd, 2016

As most others have written, this man is not cut out to see patients. It is time he retire. Whack job! He will lull you in and pretend to care about you as the patient. It's all bull. I am a former patient that took way too long to get the hint and leave his practice.

A frightening Doctor show details A frightening Doctor
by Colleen H on Oct 9th, 2015

This is a Doctor on the edge he has become increasingly abusive emotional and verbaly, I personally am done . After informing I was reporting is abusive behavior he then threatened to withhold meds and clinic care if I talked to his clinic manager. I reported him anyways, I don't have much faith in the process as Sally the clinic manager is bothered by my questions in regards to Dr. KONIKOWS treatment of me, meaning she's tired of dealing with it. I've talked to her twice only,so obviously she is not cut out to care overly much about investigating when patients are injured by one of her Doctors. Stay far away from Konikow and Swedish pain clinic, the latter has a Better Business Bureau D rating. If only I'd know. Now hopefully some of you are forewarned.

Exceptional show details Exceptional
by Janet on Aug 4th, 2015

Dr. Konikow is very good at getting to the root cause of many different kinds of pain. I have several different types. He prescribed medications and bio feedback. I am glad is open minded and intelligent enough to know the value of alternative methods as well as modern medicine. He explained very well how bio feed back works. He did not leave me in the dark. I am using the bio feed back and reading a book on stress he gave me. He is the greatest.

I appreciate Dr. Konikow. show details I appreciate Dr. Konikow.
by Kelvin Franke, DO on Jun 26th, 2015

I'd like to write in Dr. Konikow's behalf. Though not a personal patient of his, I have had several patients seen by him that spoke highly of his caring attitude, diagnostic aptitude and general holistic approach. I continue to refer patient's to him in light of this. Thank you Dr. Konikow!

Where's the bedside manner? show details Where's the bedside manner?
Feb 3rd, 2015

Terrible listener, disinterested--more interested to writing his notes, typing and dictating right in front if me--I find him rude, uncaring and a terrible listener--very very difficult to communicate with. Maybe he has a social anxiety or phonia but should disclose so you don't get totally put off by this odd little man.

Don't go! You'll sabotage yourself show details Don't go! You'll sabotage yourself
Jan 26th, 2015

I couldn't begin to accurately describe how horrible I was treated, as well as accused....

Don't Waste Your time. Extremely dismissive & will tell you to Practice Mindfullness. show details Don't Waste Your time. Extremely dismissive & will tell you to Practice Mindfullness.
Jan 8th, 2015

Refused to prescribe medication for my pain, suggested I practice affirmations & mindfulness. What a waste of time!

Double standards and incompetence show details Double standards and incompetence
by Lynne on Apr 9th, 2014

I am relatively new to the field of pain management and may not have much to compare to regarding Dr. Konikow. However I do have over 10 years of experience with all types of specialists from my illnesses and operations which required pain medication. May I just say that this doctor tries to put on a picture of concern and care for you but trust me it is all a big fake!! In reading the other reviews regarding criticism of his practice I wholeheartedly agree with all the other comments and complaints and will not bother to repeat them. I will add just a few additional remarks that may or may not have been others experience. The one area that Dr. Konikow is strong in is being prompt with no long waits in the lobby. After long and serious consideration before writing this review that is the one and only positive comment I can make about him after a year of so-called tretatment. He offered no alternatives whatsoever and yet while my pain persisted at my current dosage, he did nothing to help me manage my pain effectively and yet he accused me of covert behaviors to obtain additional narcotics. OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!! As any simpleton knows if you are a pain patient you depend upon this trust and therapy plan to survive. He never gave any sign of genuine concern, rather he cut off my comments and said we would talk at our next session about it or he would make so many errors in his transcription that I gave up trying to correct him out of simple exhaustion at trying to establish a rapport with this impotent and uncaring excuse for a pain management physician. Please listen to me and the others and don't waste your time with Joel Konikow. I fell into his fake scenario of being someone you could count on, I hope that my deplorable experience with him will be the one and only time I have to write a review like this. I have never before in over 40 years of medical care had the reason to write a review except for all the positive and truly caring physicians there are.

Horrible!!! show details Horrible!!!
by Mike on Aug 13th, 2013

This quack shouldn't even be allowed to practice medicine. Definitely not as a pain mngt Dr. He doesn't listen to a word you tell him. Then he basically calls you a liar when you see him the next month cause he didn't listen. He told me that I changed my story from the following month and from then on only saw me as a drug seeker lying about my pain. And he wasn't even prescribing my pain control meds, my pcp was. All his diagnosis is, is mind body syndrome. Basically saying the pain is all in your head. I think he comes up with that diagnosis for everybody because he's so unintelligent that he can't come up with anything else. Makes rude comments all the time. Not just to me, but to my wife also. I could go on and on with how horrible this guy is. Can't believe I stuck with him for 6 months. It's time for him to retire. Hopefully Swedish figures out soon how much money they are wasting on this guys salary and fires him. I left his care (if you can call it care) after my wife had a couple questions for him about my MRI and why couldnt some of the things it showed be the cause of the pain. He couldn't even answer simple questions. He told us we need to find a different dr because obviously we thought he was wrong. It was a question, we weren't even saying anything close to telling him he's diagnosing me wrong. Don't waste your time with this guy. He's a moron.

Would not recommend him. show details Would not recommend him.
Aug 9th, 2013

After reading the other reviews, I agree, Dr Konikow is a waste of time. He does not listen and is quick to let you know the pain is all in your head. Dr Konikow is very combative, defensive and quick to judgement. I saw him for far too many years before I realized he was a waste of my time. After one visit to my new pain Dr., it was a breathe of fresh air. I would dread going to each appointment with Dr Konikow. He has no listening skills. If you said to him that is not what was discussed at our last appointment, he would not own up to his remarks and deny that he said something in the past. Save yourself the trouble to try and establish a patient Dr. relationship. He will give you the run around.

Worst medical experience ever show details Worst medical experience ever
Jul 30th, 2013

I have never been treated as horribly by any doctor as I was by this man. He was recommended to me by another doctor and at the very first appointment, I was not made to feel comfortable or welcome at all. Why I went back for four more verbal and mental abuse appointments, I have no idea. Our last appointment together was so distressing I couldn't function the rest of the night. I felt he was distracted during our appointments because he chose to verbally transcribe everything into the computer- most of which he either paraphrased me incorrectly or added information I never mentioned in the first. Not recommended.

.Worst bedside manner ever! show details .Worst bedside manner ever!
Nov 13th, 2012

I don't recommend Dr. Konikow one bit. Unless you want to be treated like your pain is all in your head, then don't go see him. All he does is mind body syndrome and if you don't buy into his way 100%, he will tell you to go elsewhere. He has the weirdest bedside manner and my appointments with him were just uncomfortable. Also, if you do see him, don't question what he is telling you are he will also kick you out. There are much better Dr's out there

Caring and thoughtful show details Caring and thoughtful
Mar 6th, 2012

Dr. Konikow really listened to me and I felt he was very understanding and sympathetic to my pain and symptoms. He was encouraging and positive and I am happy to be working with him.

Best Dr. I've Seen show details Best Dr. I've Seen
Nov 17th, 2011

Dr. Konikow is the best Dr. I've ever gone to. I've seen atleast 12-15 doctors in the last 4 years for my back problems. In those years I was bounced around from office to office with none of them knowing what to do next. In my first visit he spent an entire hour with me, the second visit he spent an hour 15 with me. All the other dr's do a 10 min eval and say lets try this. Dr. Konikow is the only one that has truly tried to understand where my pain is coming from. He even called me personally on his lunch hour the day after one of my procedures to see how it went and how I feel. He truly wants to understand and solve your problem. Most of the other offices just fill prescriptions, make me take a drug test monthly (to just charge insurance 400 per test. e.g. WA Center for Pain Mngt) and send me on my way. Dr. Konikow makes sure the medication is working and I'm happy with the relief I'm getting from it. I recommend him to anybody that's been bounced around from clinic to clinic.

TERRIBLE! show details TERRIBLE!
Aug 18th, 2011

Worst pain management doctor I have EVER been too. Takes over a week to just hear back, even in emergencies. Half the time he doesn't know what he is talking about. Makes extremely rude comments that are way out of line. Had no respect for my wife.

Personal, friendly care show details Personal, friendly care
Apr 20th, 2010

For about 4 years I saw Dr. Konikow monthly for pain management and general medical care. I couldn't recommend him more -- he is hands down the most caring and receptive doctor I have ever had.