Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon

Video profile

by Gordon Mitts, M.D. on Aug 17th, 2016

Excellent surgeon and staff and so far excellent result. I would recommend everyone to go to him

by Danielle on Aug 3rd, 2016

I wasn't diagnosed with hip dysplasia until my late 20's, but the pain began long before then. The same as others who suffer from this, I've had a long painful journey. Dr. Matta and his Fellow Dr. Jimenez, along with his staff have made this road incredibly better for me. I live in a state with no qualified periacetabular osteotomy surgeons, so I was referred out of state to Santa Monica for my surgery with Dr. Matta. I can't say enough good things about him and his staff. They are all extremely pleasant, patient, and amazing! I am now recovering from my right PAO that was done in July, and I am fully recovered from my left PAO that was done in November. I can't thank him enough for this incredible procedure that is giving me my life back. I highly recommend him to anyone in need of a hip/ pelvis surgeon, he is worth the long distance travel.

Dr. Matta gave me my life back. show details Dr. Matta gave me my life back.
by Carole Foster on Jul 16th, 2016

Dr. Matta is the most caring doctor I've ever met. A day after surgery, he was watching me walk with my new hip and cheering me on while I tackled walking up & down the steps. He took time explaining the procedure of the operation with the special table he uses. All my concerns were assuaged because of him Fortunetly for me, 13 years ago, I found out about Dr. Matta from a good friend who had both hips replaced by him and it was 13 years ago that I lived everyday in pain until Dr.Matta diagnosed my problem. Ever since my hip replacement, including the day after surgery, I have been free of pain, I walk briskly, run, skip and dance. I would never go to anyone else. My scar is now practically nonexistant. I can sit in any chair, high or low. I can cross my legs and do all the things that the old kind of hip replacement forbids. His new innovative hip replacement is the ONLY way to go. I will sing his praises forever more! Thank you again & again Dr. Joel Matta. You are my hero!

Jun 16th, 2016

I received 2 hip replacements with Dr. Matta. I went from being an avid runner/outdoor person to not being able to do any of that when my hips went bad. Dr. Matta fixed me up last year and replaced both of my hips. I am now back to hiking the outdoors, exercising and have no pain! He is amazing and had the best experience with him. His staff is courtius and super helpful. I would recommend Dr. Matta to anyone with hip issues.

Jun 3rd, 2016

I visited Dr. Matta for a second opinion. He confirmed my diagnosis, took multiple sets of images in the office and spent nearly an hour with my husband and I explaining my diagnosis, treatment options and answering questions. We didnt feel rushed. Dr. Matta made us feel that he was genuinely interested in my case and wanted to give me all the information I needed to an informed decision regarding treatment.

Exceptional! show details Exceptional!
Feb 11th, 2016

Wonderful, wonderful surgeon. In and out and walking with just a cane on second day.

Jan 25th, 2016

Complete success

Nov 6th, 2015

I interviewed two orthopedic surgeons for my total hip. I chose m Dr Marta because of his kind manner and I felt he listened carefully to my concerns. Tanya PA has been very helpful! I will have surgery in a few weeks

Superior Result show details Superior Result
by Bill T on Feb 11th, 2015

I have had both hips replaced by Joel Matta. The result in both cases was excellent -- fast recovery, no side effects and total and full use of the hips. I can play golf, walk and live my life without hip pain. His work allows me to be 30 years old again. Plus, several of my friends from Ohio have also had their hips replaced by Dr. Matta with the same positive outcome.

by Ssu Weng on Oct 31st, 2014

Dr Matta is an excellent surgeon, and the hospital & staff were very good. I may need another hip replacement and hope Dr Matta has time to do it.

Best surgeon possible! show details Best surgeon possible!
by Ann C. on Oct 17th, 2014

I am recommending Dr. Matta to everyone I know who may need a hip replacement. I recently had mine done and was amazed at how quickly I recovered. He and his team made the whole procedure as easy and comfortable as possible.

Favorite Doctor show details Favorite Doctor
by Jewell Wright on Jul 16th, 2014

My introduction to Dr. Matta was due to being in a severe car accident in 1998 near San Jose, CA on a trip from San Francisco back to Long Beach. The surgeon at the hospital that I was taken to attempted to repair my left acetabulum fracture and felt that he could not complete the surgery due to the severity of my injuries and fought with my insurance company for a week to get me flown down to Good Sam in LA (where Dr. Matta was at the time). He has since not only repaired that injury, but replaced my left hip in 1999 and completed revision surgery on my left hip in 2012. I have complete confidence in he and his staff. I have always recommended that anyone needing a hip replacement use his services.

A Pioneer in Hip Replacement Surgery show details A Pioneer in Hip Replacement Surgery
by Maral Kazazian on Dec 10th, 2013

I will refer anyone who is thinking about having a hip surgery to Dr. Matta with no hesitation! Two years ago I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my right hip and was told to keep moving and swimming. After getting physical therapy for several months my physical therapist insisted that I go see an orthopedic doctor. After several doctor's opinions, and encouragement from friends, I realized that I had no other choice but get a hip replaced if I wanted to get back to my life with no pain! My friend Eddy who had had both hips replaced introduced me to Dr. Matta at St. John's in Santa Monica. On Oct. 28th 2013, I went to see Dr. Matta and his amazing team and on Nov. 12, I had my hip replacement surgery. This is what Dr. Matta told me and my husband 2 days after my surgery; "I am releasing you with no restrictions”! I only needed a walker and a cane for a few days, did not need to take any pain medication after I left the hospital and was climbing stairs and driving one week after my surgery. Today, 3 weeks after my surgery, I started my post op Physical Therapy and was told that I am ready to resume my daily walks and water aerobics classes….Life is Good once again!!

excellent show details excellent
by june on May 3rd, 2013

Dr Matta and his entire staff in the office and hospital are supportive and understanding and all expert in their field. I am 70. I had Anterior hip with Dr Matta on a Tuesday afternoon and spent two days in the hospital, up and walking with a walker and then a can with the assistance of supportive pt people and then went home where I never used the walker. I went home , where I had no help (I had sent my dog off to the sitter so that I would not have to walk her. I was able to take total care of myself, in slow motion, and in one week I was walking around the house without a cane and in nine days I was driving. I took the cane with me as support when I needed it. Dr Matta is a genius in his field. I have not met one person who has had such an easy time after hip surgery, and I had to send the video of myself to my physical therapist son elsewhere for him to believe it! he doctors who work with Dr Matter are all very caring. The meds prescribed by the lung specialist were just right for me. I am off the pain meds now. I believe in the end I took them just in case, but the pain was never bad...ache in the leg when walking is the biggest complaint,.

Dr. Matta is the BEST. Pure and simple. show details Dr. Matta is the BEST. Pure and simple.
Nov 5th, 2012

I had a fractured pelvis and acetabulum...went to numerous orthos that didn't want to do my surgery...kept hearing "This is one for Matta". My insurance company wouldn't pay for it, so I paid out of my own pocket. Simply put, Dr. Matta is the "Gold Standard" by which all the rest are judged. Worth every penny...and may I say he was 50,000 less than UCD.

The BEST Dr. show details The BEST Dr.
Oct 26th, 2012

Dr. Matta is the best. He did my surgery and replaced both hips. I had the BEST of care. If I had a problem with anything in my hip area, I would always go back to him. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is in need of a hip replacement or any surgery in the hip area.

Past victim. show details Past victim.
Jul 27th, 2012

This butcher severed nerve in my hip and rendered me permanently disabled. He then lied at malpractice trial and I received no reimbursement or even apology.

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse
My surgery show details My surgery
Jul 23rd, 2012

He replaced my hip again. Only he didn't know what he was doing. He put what looked like a wire cage in my leg. The cage fell apart, and thank god the hopspital knew of a good doctor. He repalced my hip and I am on the road to recovery.

Apr 30th, 2012

I had my hip surgery (PAO)done by Dr. Matta in 2008. He is a wonderful doctor. I'm going to have my other hip done soon.

May 28th, 2010

Dr. Matta is a WONDERFUL doctor. His professionalism is outstanding. I wish every doctor that specalizies in hip replacements had to be taught by Dr. Matta. I wish he could still be my doctor, since my move out of state. Once you've had the best, you can't trust the rest!!!

Hip replacement surgery... show details Hip replacement surgery...
by hmm... on Apr 16th, 2010

Dr. Matta did hip replacement surgery for me and I couldn't be happier with the results. He is highly skilled and I have every intention of him replacing my other hip when the time arrives. Spend the extra money and make the trip for him to do the surgery...you will not be disappointed. Walking immediately is worth the trip and money. Doctors who do the "traditional approach" which has you down for weeks is absolute "craziness."

Best Surgeon for Pelvis Reconstruction show details Best Surgeon for Pelvis Reconstruction
Feb 10th, 2010

Dr. Matta was recommended to me by other orthopedic surgeons. After speaking with them, I was convinced that he was the best in the U.S. at pelvis reconstruction. He performed a three-stage pelvis reconstruction on me in 2001 and the procedure went perfectly. There were no side effects after the surgery other than a small plate in the front of my pelvis. Dr. Matta is the best of the best for this surgery. I heard that patients fly to see him from all over the world. Outstanding surgeon.

Open book pelvic fracture show details Open book pelvic fracture
by Randy Holloway on Jan 11th, 2010

I was involved in a serious accident. I had an open book pelvic fracture, compound fracture of left ankle, ruptured bladder and nicked femoral artery, etc.My pelvis was stabilized with an external fixature and I was transported to L.A. from Northern California via helicopter. Long story short, Dr Matta put my pelvis back together. My recovery was full and complete. That fall I was playing golf again, scuba diving, and went skiing in January(nine months after surgery). I can't say enough good things about Dr. Matta. If you have a pelvic issue and are fortunate enough to have him as your surgeon, you will be worked on by the best!

by HIP PATIENT on Aug 14th, 2009

I WAITED 90 MINUTES FOR MY APPOINTMENT. DR. MATTA AND TWO OTHER MEN BURST INTO THE EXAMINING ROOM LIKE INTERROGATORS FOR THE FBI. ALL DURING THE APPOINTMENT, DR. MATTA REPEATED MY ANSWERS FOR THE OTHER 2 MEN AS IF I'D SAID SOMETHING STRANGE AND THEY HAD SOME INSIDE JOKES GOING ON. I FOUND HIS ASSISTANT OFFICIOUS AND RUDE AS WELL. WHEN I CALLED WITH A QUESTION, I WAS TOLD TO E-MAIL HER, THEN SHE TOLD ME THAT THE E-MAIL WAS INTENDED FOR POST-OP PATIENTS AND THAT I SHOULD SCHEDULE ANOTHER OFFICE APPOINTMENT IF I HAD A QUESTION REGARDING MY DIAGNOSIS.

Travelled far to see this wonderful physician show details Travelled far to see this wonderful physician
Mar 26th, 2009

I was referred to Dr. Matta for a complicated hip surgery. He was very caring and spent a lot of time with me. His office staff were organized and friendly. Thank you....