Dr. Joel Nelson MD Patient Reviews

• Urology Pittsburgh, PA

November 5th, 2015
What you want in healthcare
I saw Dr. Nelson for a second opinion. The difference in his approach and straight forward review of my medical tests helped me to realize the seriousness of my condition. He was extremely professional as were the office support staff members. I also, cannot say enough about the surgical team at the hospital. Although I have been cancer free for only a year, my recovery was swift with above average results. Warm and fuzzy may make you feel good but is not what you want when it comes to your health.

April 9th, 2015
He is the best of the best doctors.

January 24th, 2015
best doctor I ever encountered

January 1st, 2015
Excellent

April 16th, 2013
The best
Dr. Nelson is a no nonsense doctor that will not pull any punches.He is straight forward and will tell you the way it is. I went to him with a psa in the sixties.He agreed to take me after a cat scan that showed no further progression .He performed a radical prostectomy in 2011 and I have been cancer free to date.Idid a a lot of homework before selecting him and thankfully he accepted me...I would highly recommend this surgeon to anyone that wants nerve sparing surgery because he is simply the best!!, Ny

January 23rd, 2013
Obvious choice
Dr. Nelson is business-like, but also very caring. He answered all of our questions without us needing to ask. His knowledge and skill are cutting edge. My husband has had an excellent outcome in all areas. We definitely recommend Dr. Nelson to all our friends.

June 18th, 2011
Excellent Doctor!
His expertise was obvious! Definitely the best!

April 5th, 2011
The best in Urology
Dr.Nelson never told us maybe he could save the nerves, he said he would. Gave us a very positive outlook. He was clear with the diagnosis and all instructions after the surgery. He is the best at what he does. Good things come to those who wait. So be patient when scheduling.

February 16th, 2011
I over heard Dr. Nelson speaking to his employees, he was so rude and then came in the room with my husband and I and was so very nice. It make us think twice about seeing him. If you can't be respecfull to your employees, and then turn it on for the patient. It made us think what kind of Doctor is this.

July 21st, 2010
Just what I want in a surgeon
I recently saw Dr. Nelson as part of my effort to find the best possible surgeon for my radical prostatectomy. He has tremendous credentials -- he was recruited personally by the head of UPMC to come to UPMC from Johns Hopkins and lead their urology department. He has a typical surgeon personality: direct, plain-speaking, analytical, and extremely smart. For me, that's exactly what I want in a surgeon. So if you're looking for a kindly Dr. Welby sort of person, go somewhere else. But if you want a highly competent, no-nonsense guy to remove your prostate so you can maximize your quality of life afterwards, he's your guy.

November 21st, 2009
Not all he's cracked up to be.
Dr. Nelson is conceited and condescending. He unnecessarily criticizes and belittles my other doctors. It's hard to trust a doctor who thinks he is flawless.