Urologist
5200 Centre Ave
Ste 209
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
412-605-3000
Locations and availability (2)

|  Go with the best  |  show details
by Bob Pacacha on Nov 18th, 2013

Dr Nelson was referred to me by the doctors at Hershey Medical Center through my sister in laws queries. I was told he is considered the #3 prostrate doctor in the country. He learned the "nerve saving procedure" from the doctor who invented the procedure. This procedure allows the patient to continue to enjoy intercourse after a radical prostatectomy. I had my surgery in 2005 and have been cancer free since. I've spoken to other patients treated by other doctors and they can't have sex and they have to wear a diaper because they leak urine. My first urologist would not recommend one of the three possible treatments for cancer and allowed me to choose the worst possible treatment (radioactive seeds). Dr Nelson highly recommended that I have the prostrate removed due to the fact I was in good health and had an aggressive cancer. The seeds would have destroyed the prostrate and if the cancer returned there was no further action that could be taken with the prostrate. My philosophy is go with the best and this Doctor is your man. I found him to be totally professional and highly qualified. Call me at 412-292-4883 if you need a mentor.

|  The best  |  show details
by Larry Czulewicz on Apr 16th, 2013

Dr. Nelson is a no nonsense doctor that will not pull any punches.He is straight forward and will tell you the way it is. I went to him with a psa in the sixties.He agreed to take me after a cat scan that showed no further progression .He performed a radical prostectomy in 2011 and I have been cancer free to date.Idid a a lot of homework before selecting him and thankfully he accepted me...I would highly recommend this surgeon to anyone that wants nerve sparing surgery because he is simply the best!!, Ny

|  Obvious choice  |  show details
Jan 23rd, 2013

Dr. Nelson is business-like, but also very caring. He answered all of our questions without us needing to ask. His knowledge and skill are cutting edge. My husband has had an excellent outcome in all areas. We definitely recommend Dr. Nelson to all our friends.

|  Excellent Doctor!  |  show details
Jun 18th, 2011

His expertise was obvious! Definitely the best!

|  The best in Urology  |  show details
by pds on Apr 5th, 2011

Dr.Nelson never told us maybe he could save the nerves, he said he would. Gave us a very positive outlook. He was clear with the diagnosis and all instructions after the surgery. He is the best at what he does. Good things come to those who wait. So be patient when scheduling.

|  show details
Feb 16th, 2011

I over heard Dr. Nelson speaking to his employees, he was so rude and then came in the room with my husband and I and was so very nice. It make us think twice about seeing him. If you can't be respecfull to your employees, and then turn it on for the patient. It made us think what kind of Doctor is this.

|  Just what I want in a surgeon  |  show details
Jul 21st, 2010

I recently saw Dr. Nelson as part of my effort to find the best possible surgeon for my radical prostatectomy. He has tremendous credentials -- he was recruited personally by the head of UPMC to come to UPMC from Johns Hopkins and lead their urology department. He has a typical surgeon personality: direct, plain-speaking, analytical, and extremely smart. For me, that's exactly what I want in a surgeon. So if you're looking for a kindly Dr. Welby sort of person, go somewhere else. But if you want a highly competent, no-nonsense guy to remove your prostate so you can maximize your quality of life afterwards, he's your guy.

|  Not all he's cracked up to be.  |  show details
Nov 21st, 2009

Dr. Nelson is conceited and condescending. He unnecessarily criticizes and belittles my other doctors. It's hard to trust a doctor who thinks he is flawless.