Pediatric / Adolescent Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Video profile

3.0

Keep Moving, Find Someone Else show details Keep Moving, Find Someone Else
Feb 23rd, 2016

He does not care about you as a patient, he cares about the money you bring to the table. The minute you question him or his practices, he will prescribe you medications or put you in a locked in patient unit. Please be careful who you trust and who you put your children under the care of. After my experience-one that I must say I still wake up with nightmares from-I urge you to KEEP LOOKING FOR OTHER DOCTORS. He is not a patient advocate. He is a business leader and a good marketing strategist, but he is not someone you should trust. Please stay away.

Overly Controlling Doctor show details Overly Controlling Doctor
Dec 27th, 2015

I am bewildered and saddened by the horrible care my daughter received from this doctor, please stay away from him.

Prevention is Key: Do NOT Seek Care from Him show details Prevention is Key: Do NOT Seek Care from Him
Oct 27th, 2015

I am mortified about ever receiving psychiatric care from any other doctor or any provider associated with PrairieCare. Horrible experience, I am traumatized.

Psychiatric Business Man show details Psychiatric Business Man
Sep 14th, 2015

Yes, I'll admit I was drawn to his fancy list of experiences and affiliations, but let me warn you that after being a patient of his in Prairie Care-I have learned not to trust him or any doctor that is also the CEO of the company he provides care under. He has two agendas: 1) Money & 2) Himself. Sure he might be a nice guy, but he is a DANGEROUS doctor. At some points during my stay, he completely forgot to check in with me. At one point he didn't see me for 2 straight days (doctors in the in-patient are supposed to see you every day). He put me on medications that dangered my health and after pleas from my family to stop the medication he brought in lawyers that basically cornered us. He has a lot of power and I warn you if you disagree with his practices, he will turn against you within seconds.

Traumatized after being a patient of his show details Traumatized after being a patient of his
Dec 15th, 2014

Horrible doctor! The side effects of my medication heavily outweighed any possible improvements but instead of taking me off the meds or lowering them he raised the mg to the maximum dosage while carelessly adding unnecessary and dangerous prescription meds. I am so thankful I have stopped being a patient of his, he is a dangerous doctor. He may have the awards and fancy title, but if you take that all away from him, he is only there to do business with you not to improve your health.

He's the Wrong Doctor with Misaligned Goals show details He's the Wrong Doctor with Misaligned Goals
Nov 6th, 2014

Do not trust this doctor. My family had to fight a legal battle just so I could change my treatment plan and the laundry list of medications he WRONGFULLY prescribed me after much evidence that was observed by my family. I felt like he was talking down to us, as if we were his lab rats instead of living people. After I left him as my psychiatrist, I felt I could never trust a doctor again. The way he treated my family and I has left us feeling damaged, resentful, and regretful. He does not have your best interest in mind. Stay Away.

Mar 21st, 2012

I would recommend you keep children away from this guy.

The only psychiatrist I know who'll let you know if drugs are not needed! show details The only psychiatrist I know who'll let you know if drugs are not needed!
Jul 11th, 2011

I was one of those rare cases that other psychiatrists had messed up with too much meds. Joel said let's try to get you off of everything. It not only saved my life but I've achieved great things since then. Thanks Joel!

AWESOME DOC show details AWESOME DOC
Apr 14th, 2011

Our family has followed Dr Oberstar for years now. He is very good with our autistic son who also has adhd and anxieties. He is worth the time driven and money.

Best Child/Adolescent Psychiatrist show details Best Child/Adolescent Psychiatrist
Oct 14th, 2009

Dr. Oberstar has an exceptional ability to relate to his young patients. He is able to relate to kids and really seems to care about them. My son saw him for a period of a couple of years, and was always willing to talk to him, where he was unable to establish a rapport with other mental health providers.