Dr. Joel Oberstar Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Joel Oberstar?

Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disorder

Have you seen Dr. Joel Oberstar?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

Neutral

May 26th, 2017

Upsetting That Doctors Like Him Exist

horrified by the lack of care my family and I received. no consideration for the fact that we are humans before we are patients.

August 26th, 2016

Malpractitioner

Through him, I have learned one of the hardest lessons that I still struggle with, "Not all doctors are good doctors," and "not all doctors can be trusted." My family and I come from a very conservative Asian heritage and culture. Mental health is seen as a taboo in my family and my community. Every doctor I have met before and after this man, has respected our cultural differences and tried to be sensitive to our different views on mental health treatment without losing sight of making the best decisions for me. Oberstar? Did he do that? No. Instead he lied to us, belittled us, and made careless decisions about my health and medications. He would show up to my appointments 30 minutes late and worst, sometimes he would not show up at all. Please do not go to this doctor. Keep searching. I guarantee you you will find better practitioners-ones that will respect your culture, your individuality, and your goals in your health. This guy is not worth your time.

July 3rd, 2016

I felt like just another number in his book. He dehumanized me and treated me as if I was incapable of being part of the decision making process for my treatment plan and it makes sense because of the high dosages he prescribed me--it made me unable to even stand up for more than 5 minutes without knocking out. So yes, how could I even be part of the decision making process if I wasn't even fully functioning because of the bad combinations of meds he put me on? Meds that I begged to get off of and it has taken me 2 years to just slowly lower them? These meds weren't even approved by my parent even though I was a minor. He went behind our backs and made many decisions against us, all for the sake of money. Horrible doctor and such a horrible experience.

February 23rd, 2016

Keep Moving, Find Someone Else

He does not care about you as a patient, he cares about the money you bring to the table. The minute you question him or his practices, he will prescribe you medications or put you in a locked in patient unit. Please be careful who you trust and who you put your children under the care of. After my experience-one that I must say I still wake up with nightmares from-I urge you to KEEP LOOKING FOR OTHER DOCTORS. He is not a patient advocate. He is a business leader and a good marketing strategist, but he is not someone you should trust. Please stay away.

December 28th, 2015

Overly Controlling Doctor

I am bewildered and saddened by the horrible care my daughter received from this doctor, please stay away from him.

October 27th, 2015

Prevention is Key: Do NOT Seek Care from Him

I am mortified about ever receiving psychiatric care from any other doctor or any provider associated with PrairieCare. Horrible experience, I am traumatized.

September 14th, 2015

Psychiatric Business Man

Yes, I'll admit I was drawn to his fancy list of experiences and affiliations, but let me warn you that after being a patient of his in Prairie Care-I have learned not to trust him or any doctor that is also the CEO of the company he provides care under. He has two agendas: 1) Money & 2) Himself. Sure he might be a nice guy, but he is a DANGEROUS doctor. At some points during my stay, he completely forgot to check in with me. At one point he didn't see me for 2 straight days (doctors in the in-patient are supposed to see you every day). He put me on medications that dangered my health and after pleas from my family to stop the medication he brought in lawyers that basically cornered us. He has a lot of power and I warn you if you disagree with his practices, he will turn against you within seconds.

December 15th, 2014

Traumatized after being a patient of his

Horrible doctor! The side effects of my medication heavily outweighed any possible improvements but instead of taking me off the meds or lowering them he raised the mg to the maximum dosage while carelessly adding unnecessary and dangerous prescription meds. I am so thankful I have stopped being a patient of his, he is a dangerous doctor. He may have the awards and fancy title, but if you take that all away from him, he is only there to do business with you not to improve your health.

November 6th, 2014

He's the Wrong Doctor with Misaligned Goals

Do not trust this doctor. My family had to fight a legal battle just so I could change my treatment plan and the laundry list of medications he WRONGFULLY prescribed me after much evidence that was observed by my family. I felt like he was talking down to us, as if we were his lab rats instead of living people. After I left him as my psychiatrist, I felt I could never trust a doctor again. The way he treated my family and I has left us feeling damaged, resentful, and regretful. He does not have your best interest in mind. Stay Away.

March 21st, 2012

I would recommend you keep children away from this guy.

July 12th, 2011

The only psychiatrist I know who'll let you know if drugs are not needed!

I was one of those rare cases that other psychiatrists had messed up with too much meds. Joel said let's try to get you off of everything. It not only saved my life but I've achieved great things since then. Thanks Joel!

April 14th, 2011

AWESOME DOC

Our family has followed Dr Oberstar for years now. He is very good with our autistic son who also has adhd and anxieties. He is worth the time driven and money.