Dr. Joel Pickett MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3

May 17th, 2016
Dr. Pickett ...one of the best
I was told diagnosed with a large pituitary tumor. DR. Pickett removed it without destroying the gland.' and many years later I am still doing fine. I am thankful EVERYDAY for this man, he is the best. For those of you that complain about the time you wait in his office, please remember Huntsville is the main trauma center for N. Ala and S. Tenn. Please be kind he does what he does because he loves seeing people helped. Be patient and thankful it is not you with the emergency. My family and I love Dr. Pickett and his staff....and am very thankful for him.

September 30th, 2015
The atmosphere was very arrogant. The waiting room was quite nice. The outer office staff was pleasant. However, it's inexcusable for anyone under any circumstances to have to wait 3+ hours fora less than 5 minute consult. It was obvious that his and his nurse's only interest was getting rid of all the patients so they could go home. I can't comment as to his knowledge or expertise. His diagnosis was contrary to what the ct-scan reports stated. i question if whether he actually read any of the scan reports. Also paperwork received at checkout indicated they had taken vitals. They never did. Apparently they fabricated the numbers because they certainly NEVER took them. I am very disillusioned and disappointed by the medical profession.

March 18th, 2015
A little over 5 hours to see him. We were very frustrated in the waiting room; we had a relative watching our son that day so my wife could come me. This is a business. If you don't watch scathing reviews, there were several other options when there are massive delays: 1. inform the patient while in the waiting room. We sat right through lunch of course, out of fear they would call us in. 2. don't schedule a patient for 9:30 when you will see them at 2:45. 3. I admit I got a little smart with the doctor. I said "I almost forgot why I came in anymore. 5 hours, what happened?" His reply was "well I'm here now. Do you want me to help you, or do you want to walk out the door?" If your profession is wearing you down to the point where you can't be slightly polite, then you need to make some changes. Something as simple as "Today I've been slammed", "Sorry", "A surgery came up" (No idea if this happened). Another reviewer wrote that he discounted the MRI findings (the report); he also did the same with me, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. His opinion was basically that the radiologists list everything they see, and it sounds much worse on paper. Summary: my MRI isn't bad, and no surgery is warranted.

April 12th, 2012
2 to 3 hour wait every time.

November 16th, 2011
Long wait short time with Doctor
Took a long time to get an apt. Waited four hours to see the doctor. Doctor performed little to no examination. He discounted any findings on my MRI from radiologists. Spoke with me less than five min. then apt. was over. Very dissapointed.

January 26th, 2011
Excellent
Dr. Pickett was my physician when I came into the ER. He immediately diagnosed my problem and took care of my pain. I required an MRI and he allowed me medication to alleviate my panic (I am severely claustrophobic). He performed back surgery on me, which went without incident, and my recovery was smooth and faster than I expected. Dr. Pickett is not only an excellent diagnostician and surgeon, but he cares about his patient's concerns. I would (and have) recommend him to my friends and family.

December 3rd, 2010
A very good, caring man. He is incredibly smart and very good at what he does. I felt very safe under his care. He was very careful not rush into surgery. This doctor tried other methods to rectify my problem rather than putting me under the knife immediately which I truly appreciated. I would'nt consider going to another neurosurgeon. He is truly the BEST at what he does. He is quiet but you can tell he is a good person.