Internists, Physiatrist (physical, rehabilitation)

Centennial
Sports Orthopedic & Rehab
500 Arguello St
Ste 100
Redwood City, CA 94063
650-851-4900
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Yahoo.
 |  Cares about his patients' outcomes  |  show details
by Campbell Lady on Mar 4th, 2014

I have and will highly recommend Dr. Joel Saal, MD. Although he can appear to be "all business," he really seems passionate about making sure his patients receive the care they need.

|  Frustrated and not done yet  |  show details
Oct 14th, 2013

Has yet to figure out anything conclusive as to a diagnosis; it's been three months. Wait times are absolutely absurd, and he's *never* less than half an hour late. Supposedly he saw something worth investigating while doing an ultrasound on my wrist, but I have no more conclusive information than "huh, that's funny." Oh, and thank you very much for both forgetting the anesthetic spray for cortisone injections AND not mentioning the forty-eight-hour flare-up of inflammation afterward.

by margo on May 9th, 2013

Because Dr. Saal is so full of himself, I wanted to ask him if he ever felt the need to ever eat... It's too bad because he may be a good doctor, but it's hard to get past his arrogance...

|  Very poor bedside manner  |  show details
Apr 23rd, 2012

I saw Dr Saal for a severe lumbar spine injury. I have never encountered a man as rude as Dr Saal in my life. He would sware and throw things at me and his staff if things weren't set up just right. During an epidural procedure when he injected the wrong level, he screamed at me, like it was my fault. He may be accurate in diagnosing problems, but I would never wish his treatment on anyone. I am actually surprised he is allowed to practice medicine! Please be careful about choosing him to "care" for you.

|  Worst Bedside Manner EVER  |  show details
Jan 26th, 2011

I saw this doctor for tingling in my neck. After waiting 45 min, he treated me like a child and dismissed every thing I had to say. He never listened to me and snapped back when I asked questions (as if I were stupid). He left twice during for personal cell phone calls while I waited in the room! He then said we'd fix it with cortisone shots to my neck! I left and never went back. Fixed my problem with Physical Therapy. He has the worst bedside manner I've ever experienced!!

|  saved my life  |  show details
Jan 21st, 2011

I am a Firefighter who suffered a possible career ending neck injury(ceiling collapse)Dr. Saal was able to diagnose & aggressively treat my injury.I ended up having surgery and rehab as well as acupuncture.because of his expertise I am able to continue working and support my family.I am forever grateful

Mar 27th, 2010

Dr. Saal was unfortunately rude from the get go. His bedside manner is poor. When answering his questions about my problem he barked at me to "Report, not respond!" He was condenscending, defensive, and unaware of his impact on others. I will never see this doctor again!

Jan 11th, 2010

Fabulos doctor, caught what other doctor missed, and got me on my way to improved health and mobililty.

by Hal David on Oct 27th, 2009

Dr Saal, well thought out diagnosis, fully explained situation.Best in the business

|  find someone else!...  |  show details
by NOT a fan on Sep 3rd, 2009

I have many problems ,it suffices to say that I know Doctors and this one is not for me. He was suppose to be a second opinion on some neck problems for me. He told me he didnt believe the nerve study i had done. Disagreed with the MRI findings in my neck. I have had three doctors not to mention the radiologist find several issues-this guy dismisses them all with a 10 min review of my 12 year case. UGHHHHH. Go elsewhere please

Aug 17th, 2009

He conducted an unnecessary test that he admits has a 15% likelihood of spotting the issue (it found nothing). He ran another test that involved inserting anesthetic into my nerve and he waited until the needle was inches from my arm to explain that if he placed the needle wrong my arm could be permanently paralyzed. His "bedside manner" completely freaked me out. In the end the information resulting from his tests was an expensive waste of time and proved nothing. I received the correct diagnosis elsewhere.

|  Joel Saal: May be good physician but is defensive and rude  |  show details
Aug 2nd, 2008

I visited this doctor once because I had a recommendation for his clinic. I refused to schedule a followup with him because he was unpleasant, sarcastic and wierdly defensive. Apparently I'm not alone in my assessment; one of his peers says he's known as "Ichabad Crane" for his sour disposition.

Dec 11th, 2006 on yahoo.com

Excellent Practice - very results oriented: After many years on neck pain I felt the diagnosis given by SOAR was very thorough and results oriented. Dr. Saal is highly regarded in the medical profesison. Appointments were on time.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com