Dr. J Stuebgen MD Patient Reviews

• Child Neurology New York, NY

3.4

March 9th, 2017
I like Dr. Steubgen a lot...
So far I visited Dr. S. 3 timeswith an issue of a new kind of headache (in addition to 2 kinds I already had before). I was admitted immediately, doctor listened to me patiently and spent a lot of time to explain things and discuss the options. I liked his energy, brilliancy and a sense of humor too... The pills he recommended are helpful. I do trust him and like him and will be back there.

February 7th, 2017
The worst
My migraines have been textbook since i was 16. I was officially diagnosed in my 20s. I went to him because as i aged my migraines have changed and gotten progressively worse. I had new symptoms I never experienced and was in the middle of an excruciating migraine. He took my blood pressure which was high. He made no comments about my bp being high even though im in my early 40s. He dismissed ALL my symptoms told me to see my doctor about hormones. Really?? Gave me his GO TO scrip topiramate. Then without me saying one word flat out said... I am not giving you any pain meds. He stood up and said see you in 4 weeks. I paid out of pocket to see a real neurologist out of my network that through a combination of medications was able to control my migraine. He also scheduled me for an MRI, which came back abnormal. I now go to Montefiore's Headache Clinic and i could not be happier. I am seen every 3 months. My migraines closely monitored and medications tailored to what works. I now take 2 meds regularly which work to control my migraines and i was given a rescue pain reliever when a migraine strikes. That is REAL medicine. This doctor not only doesn't care but I think he's lazy and judgemental.

January 25th, 2016
Great physician
I saw Dr. Stubgen recently and he was 100% opposite from what the reviews below have mentioned. I'm glad I didn't read this before I went to see him. My experience was nothing like what these ppl have written. The physician was very patient. I will admit that he does get straight to the point but I rather know that the physician I'm seeing is focused on what I'm saying and automatically knows what I'm talking about. I don't want a physician that is guessing. Dr. Stubgen in my opinion is brilliant. I look forward to my visit with him next month.

December 17th, 2015
Curt, Dismissive & Uncaring.
He seemed very curt and dismissive, often cutting me off and trying to suggest that what I was saying was of no importance (although I was telling him ...

December 17th, 2015
He seemed very curt and dismissie, often cutting me off and trying toto suggest that what I was saying was of no importance (although I was telling him of my symptoms). He did not take time to actually listen and attempt to accurately diagnose my condition. He more so seemed like he was just trying to get me out of his office.

December 9th, 2015
Waste of time
A very disappointing experience. This arrogant and dismissive quack was a complete waste of both my time and my insurance benefits. Very sarcastic, one-track minded, and making hasty conclusions, especially when diagnosing. Unless there's a 5 inch tumor sitting in your brain and is jumping out of your MRI, this so-called doctor will dismiss all of your symptoms as "nothing" and will ascribe them to stress. (!?!). Horrible diagnostician and very disinterested in going beyond any basic exams. If you have any diffuse and unusual symptoms, this poser will just brush you off and try to get you off his hands as quickly as possible telling you there's nothing wrong with you. At the most, you'll get a prescription for sleeping pills and an advice for a healthier, stress-free lifestyle, with 8 to 10 hours of sleep every night (LOL!!!). Unless there is an obvious brain tumor or a highly visible and obvious deformity in your head/brain, he will dismiss complaints of repetitive strong headaches, dizziness, nausea, vertigo, fogginess in your head, eye pain, buzzing in your ears/head, facial tics, occasional partial numbness on one side of your head- as NOTHING. He will refuse to do any additional diagnostic tests beyond an MRI (which may not be even warranted and will just be unnecessary radiation for you). Do not waste your time with this charlatan. He is obviously more interested in meeting a quota and making a juicy pay check in order to keep up appearances and maintain his social status with his heiress wife than taking his patients seriously and examining them thoroughly. Most likely, he won't be interested in seeing you again after the second visit. I'm not sure how he's maintaining his position at the coveted Weill Cornell with such a poor and unprofessional attitude.....? One would assume that Weill Cornell evaluates their doctors and their success, along with patient satisfaction from time to time. Obviously not. Don't go to this doctor, or even better- don't go to Weill Cornell Neurology at all.

July 23rd, 2015
One star off for crowded waiting room.
Coming from the Midwest very recently and spoiled by the U of C, Northwestern, nice facility, free parking, etc., it was logistically and demographically challenging for me to zoom in on Presbyterian-Cornell, the Neurology group and then Dr. Stuebgen. I chose the hospital first, then the affiliated group, and the Dr. who's available within a reasonable time, has a clear record of training and a sufficient number of years of practice. Between the two available slots, Dr. Stuebgen fit my criteria better. Though I read the reviews before going in, I wanted to take the first appointment on a trial basis. With all due respect to some complaints here, I suspect that everyone experiences prejudice differently. Luckily, I did not feel uncomfortable during my visit. The doctor seemed intelligent, knowledgeable and clear. He was fast paced but spent enough time and was thorough, given a packed waiting room with everyone running at least 30 minutes late... I don't know enough about the effectiveness of long term treatments by Dr. Stuebgen for a certain condition. My symptom was mild and hopefully just a one-time event. From years of helping my senior parents with their healthcare, I learned that Dr. and patient must be a cohesive team where the patient is the most important participant in managing long-term care. People have different decision making styles and temperament, especially when the Dr is under pressure and the patient feeling unwell. Fortunately, we are dealing with highly educated people here, and we do have choices.

June 15th, 2015
After I was assaulted by the 1st bus driver, I went to "this dude" about my upper right extremity's numbness & pain. Sent for an EMG nerve test... 2nd visit, got EMG results & asked him to call physical therapist 'cuz my right upper extremity was too painful & too shaky for him to continue to treat me but threw a tantrum at me & refused to call my therapist! Came the 2nd assault by the bus driver... My condition has gone significantly worse & went back to "that dude", the flat out told me I was a "doctor shopping, pill popping" "drug addict" looking for prescription drugs for a condition never exist!! But that non-existed condition sure scared off the treatment from my therapist & now my hand surgeon who has me to retake that very painful nerve test 'cuz the results from the one he did was on purposely blacked out!! How classy!

March 3rd, 2015
Excellent doctor
I am kind of surprised at the negative reviews on here. I have seen Dr. Stubgen twice and was extremely impressed both times. Although I had a bit of a wait the second time I was apologized to by both the nurse and the doctor... stuff happens. Dr. Stubgen took plenty of time with me and was extremely thorough. He answered all my questions and did not talk down to me as some doctors do with women. He had a relaxed manner and a good sense of humor. Most importantly...he did not pigeonhole my symptoms and try to load me up with medication. He gave me a number of avenues to use for my headaches and after a clean MRI and MRA he was satisfied that we were looking for the best path for me personally. I could not be happier with this doctor.

February 26th, 2015
I found Dr. Stubgen to be very intelligent, listened to my problem and was able to diagnose it immediately. I would highly recommend him to diagnose a memory problem. He was on time and very courteous.

April 21st, 2014
Although I totally agree that Dr. S. does not have a warm and fuzzy bedside manner, he IS an extremely intelligent man. My experience has been that (whether it was good news or bad news), everything he ever told me (over the past 7 years) about my condition turned out to be true. Despite having multiple doctors see me, Dr. S. was the ONLY doctor who diagnosed my condition correctly. It has been my experience that he does not run you through medical tests or prescribe medications except when necessary. If I had ended up with another doctor, my medical treatment would likely have been significantly different (filled with unnecessary medications w/dreadful side effects). I feel fortunate to have been under his care. Frankly, I would rather have a guy with intelligence than a warm and fuzzy doctor who diagnoses your condition incorrectly and whose judgement you can't trust.

August 22nd, 2013
Great doctor!
Dr stubgen is a kind,courteous,and patient doctor.his staff was Very professional and helpful.they couldn't have been nicer. He spent a lot of time with me and answered all my questions explaining everything to me clearly and with great patience. He ordered some follow up tests and made sure.he got back to me The next day to let me know the results.I would recommend dr. Stubgen to anyone who needs a good neurologist.