Surgical Specialist, Neurological Surgeon
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  BRILLIANT Neurosurgeon  |  show details
by CBS on Feb 23rd, 2014

Dr. Jenkins saved my life after a horrific car accident that left me with a broken neck and a complete C5 spinal cord injury causing me to become a quadriplegic. The night of the accident he met with my family and took the time to answer their questions and made sure they understood EXACTLY what my injury entailed and my prognosis. He took the time to sit with my EXTREMELY emotional, upset husband and put his mind at ease prior to my life-saving surgery. Immediately following the accident he performed an anterior fusion and three days later he did a posterior fusion. After I recovered from surgery and was stable enough I transferred to the number one spinal cord injury rehabilitation facility in the US. While there I was under the care of a very picky neurosurgeon that specializes in spinal surgeries. Upon admittance he immediately did a CT scan and wasted no time telling me what an excellent job Dr. Jenkins did on the surgery. Later, my nurses and therapists told me what an unusual compliment that was as he very rarely compliments other surgeons and even goes so far as to redo approximately 90% of his patients surgeries. Dr. Jenkins made sure to follow up with me after I returned to Orlando following rehab. At my office visit he was professional, courteous and took the time to answer ALL our questions and made sure we understood his answers. He was very honest and up-front about my prognosis. He and his staff were all warm and welcoming. I would highly recommend Dr. Jenkins to any one. He is one of the best in the country - a truly BRILLIANT, caring neurosurgeon.

Oct 12th, 2012

Just met with Dr Jenkins for the first time today. Based on reviews, I was expecting someone different. He was friendly and took what I felt was an appropriate amount of time. We even had some small talk. I'll be following up in two weeks, but so far so good. Would definitely recommend.

|  Dr Jenkins is the reason I am walking today!!!!  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2011

For the person who wrote" that Dr Jenkins will not care about you if you do not have good health insurance" sure got it all wrong... I was taken to Orlando East with a L5 S1 injury after I had my surgery a year before. What was left of my left side of disc exploded and was very close to my spinal chord. Dr Jenkins was called at Orlando South for a consult over the phone. Mind you that I have Medicaid, He had me air lifted really fast to him. I have never felt more comfortable meeting anyone than I was meeting him. He did tell me that it was possible I might not be able to walk again but.... He made sure that did not happen. I love Dr Jenkins for everything that he did for me and will refer him to anyone who need back surgery. He is a great Surgeon and I am thankful that he answered that call.

|  Great Experiences  |  show details
Sep 23rd, 2011

Never waited more than 20 min to see Doctor. I hate long appointments and every appointment was clear, focused and to the point. Recovery after surgery was shorter than expected and the pain went away soon after. Within a few wekks I was able to regain my normal life activities with minor adjustments. Would recommend.

Sep 14th, 2011

Dr. Jenkins is a brilliant neurusurgeon. I sought him out because he is one of best in his field. He fused two discs in my neck 6 months ago and it is even better than I expected. This past month I had 2 lumbar discectomies and a lamonectomy at l5 /s1 followed by an emergency coronary stent while I was recovering from the back surgery. Although he is not very talkative, he is straight and to the point. I find that if I do stop him, he will slow down and spend more time. He has always answered any and all questions I may have had and made certain I was not suffering needlessly. While in the hospital, he took time to come see me even though I was under the care of the ER doctors. He consulted with all of us concerning the angiogram and possible angioplasty. If you want a brilliant surgeon, he's your man. If you want someone to hold your hand and tell bedtime stories, I think he has more critical things to do.

|  I'll Never Return  |  show details
Sep 5th, 2011

I had two appointments with this Dr. He was rude and though I have great difficulty moving he told me to "hop" on the table, I barely move. Getting down was horrible and he never asked if he could assist me. He refused to answer questions the first time, when I went for my second appt. I asked about a specific type of surgery since he didn't mention it as an option (although another doctor said it was the best). He told me to my face he never heard of it -I found that shocking especially since he mentions it on his website. He told me my success was very limited essentially telling to do nothing and live on variety of pain pills. I believe the limited insurance reimbursement had a significant influence on the surgery suggested as well as his callus attitude. The fact he lied to me sends warning bells -what if you have a problem? Will he be honest with you? What about if he were in court? He is a cold, heartless man. Unless, you have great insurance, don't waste your time and hopes. My friends were appalled when I recounted my experience.

|  Doesn't spend time with me  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2011

My first appointment he was about 45 minutes late. He asked me a few questions about symptoms and told me to go for testing to another doctor and got up and left the office. I spent 3 minutes with the doc and he charged $544.00 for the visit. I got to ask no questions. You make the call

|  Excellent Doc  |  show details
Jul 20th, 2011

Excellent Doc...true his bedside is not the best...but who cares, I didn't go to him for bedtime stories. Excellent job on fixing my neck.Be patient when you go into see him...he was called away twice when I had appointments, and I had to reschedule. But again, who cares, he is great at what you are going to him him for.

|  Dr. John A Jenkins, MD  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2011

Need to be more caring and have better bedside manners you feel like a number not like a person.

|  Excellent surgeon not much for conversation  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2011

Dr. Jenkins was on call the day of my family members stroke. I didn't really get a chance to meet before a craniotomy was necessary. He seemed to have done an excellent job, only thing wasn't much for the warm and fuzzies. His assessment of my loved one was very grave afterward. Thankfully, we did miraculously better then expected. I understand they call him Dr. Doom and Gloom because he doesn't sugar coat things. It is not like I have had a lot of craniotomies to compare this too but, given the odds and the level of morbidity, I feel he was an excellent surgeon and likely minimized the damage with surgery. His office follows up very quickly when you have a question and his staff is very concerned. If you can get past the personality issue I would definitely go to him and recommend him. A straight shooter probably leaning toward the worst case so that if they do better your are happy and it worked for me. I also hear he is a dog lover and an animal lover can't be all that bad in personality, right? :) I could see the lack of desire forsocial interaction but I think he did a good job.

Jan 8th, 2011

This doctor lacks any type of bedside manner. He did not manage my pain at all.

Jan 2nd, 2011

Excellent office staff and physician. Best surgeon ever!

|  Dr Jenkins - Excellent Neurosurgeon  |  show details
Aug 6th, 2010

I chose this neurosurgeon for his reputation in excellence and not for his personality which is lacking. He does take time to explain your condition to you and treatment options and is willing to help with pain relief while waiting for diagnostic testing to be done. I need a minor spinal procedure and I would not trust an orthopedic doctor to it... my complete trust is in Dr Jenkins.

|  Not the Best Personality, but EXCELLENT at what he does!!!  |  show details
Nov 26th, 2008

If I had to choose between a doctor with good bedside manner or getting my diagnosis correct and performing a surgery beautifully, I'd chose the latter. My scar healed up beautifully and you can hardly see it on my throat. My throat was only sore a 2 days, if that. Excellent surgeon!!! I highly recommend; If you can handle a doctor that gives it to you straight and doesn't coddle you.