Dr. John Lucas MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.1

June 16th, 2015
Now in AL but stay away
Because the Vanderbilt RE clinic closed suddenly with nothing but an email from his nurse saying they were done treating patients, we moved to another fertility clinic and I'm so happy we did. After being forced to start over again, the new doctor did extensive tests that showed the medication being prescribed to me by Dr. Lucas could have actually been preventing implantation of an embryo. I had also asked Dr Lucas numerous times for research papers to read myself and back up his request to use 2 vials in our IUI but he blew me off every time. I found out after doing my own research that there is zero evidence in the fertility community that 2 vials works significantly better than 1, but he could charge me for 2 IUI procedures. I'm glad he forced my move elsewhere.

December 2nd, 2014
Please don't waste your time with Dr. Lucas or Vanderbilt Fertility
I can't stress to you enough how disappointing my appointment was with Dr. Lucas. He made me feel bad about asking questions related to my health, and chose not to run certain tests that were indeed relevant to my care. The tests he didn't run proved to be the cause of my infertility, and were necessary to form the appropriate plan for my husband and I to conceive without wasting more time and money. He was simply negligent. The tests he did order were completed on the wrong days so the results were inaccurate and couldn't be used for my treatment. Please, don't waste your time with Dr. Lucas. Sadly his partner at Vanderbilt is not any better. I did end up having a successful IVF cycle at Nashville Fertility, and they were all great. I never once felt lost in the shuffle, and I was always able to get me questions answered.

August 12th, 2014
Not the best choice
At first I felt like I was in good hands his bedside manner is very good. However He never had a real plan for me and any test I wanted to have like shg before pregnancy I had to beg for. It's impossible to communicate with this practice as there is no direct line so you are on hold forever and then the nurse may or may not answer the phone or call back. They have an online messaging system which is the same sometimes two days before you get a response. They would tell you you needed a mo ignoring apt but never call to tell you when so some days I was on the phone or waiting by it for hours just to get the appointment scheduled. My first IUI I was not monitored and stimulated too fast so timing was way off yet he went ahead and did the IUI leading me to believe I had a chance when I never really did. Oh and even though they had this IUI scheduled they forgot to let me know. I found out at the end of the day because after waiting by the phone all day I finally called them. They are not open at all on weekends so never mind the thousands of dollars you spend on meds if your timing falls on Sat or Sun you are screwed. My second IUI he monitored me better up front but dropped the ball in the end and rather than mo it or me one last time he had me trigger. I insisted on an ultrasound before the IUI and was told by the tech that my follicle was o e size and when nurse called it was a lot smaller. The dr wanted me to proceed w the IUI the next morn as planned but per my own research I decided to cancel because I knew there Wes slim to no hope of it working. Don't ever even bother with asking the nurse any questions because she will just make something up. They are extremely unorganized and blame it on being to busy due to cuts Vanderbilt made yet only once did I see their office w more than two patients. You will be told a lot that dr Lucas gets a lot of women pregnant may be true I don't know I can't find any stats since he doesn't do IVF. But that's his job and I feel that if he had paid closer attention to my treatment I would have gotten pregnant rather than heartbroken and in debt. How many IUI's would he screw up before he got it right. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else! Infertility is stressful enough your caregivers shouldn't be the biggest stressor of all. Oh and do not expect a follow up matter of fact they will never call you back unless you call them. They do actually have two really sweet caring people there but they are part time and that's Patty reception and JJ the nurse that's there when Shirley the regular nurse is off.

February 20th, 2014
Great overall, Doctor, nurses, desk and cost.
I have heard so many awful stories from friends seeking help from Nashville fertility clinic and being treated like a number and then having fertility drugs offered without attempting to determine the cause. Dr. Lucas was the opposite. The office is nice, quiet the receptionist is really nice and wait time in is less than 10 minutes! Not only did he listen to me, but I felt after monitoring my cycle for almost two months he came up with what was right for me as an individual. I couldn't be more pleased with this doctor and I would highly recommend him. Plus the bills were nothing like I expected them to be. They were very reasonable for the top notch care I received.

March 29th, 2013
Glad I got a second opinion
Let me start by saying I really liked Dr. Lucas's bedside manner. He was compassionate and took time to answer questions. However, he left me feeling really hopeless by a relatively low AMH score, told me there was no point in doing ivf with my eggs, and no other clinic would do it. After several months of unsuccessful treatment I consulted with the two other fertility clinics in town and doctors at both places told me they do ivf with patients like me all the time and felt I had been wasting time with the iuis. They were both really surprised he hadn't ordered an HSG. I'm not clear why his opinion was so different than the other doctors, but I'm really glad I got a second (and third) opinion.

February 16th, 2013
Great doctor
Dr. Lucas and the Vanderbilt staff were very professional and treated me great during my surgery. I had an laproscopy done and the entire surgery team made me feel very comfortable. Dr. Lucas was very gentle and I had no pain after surgery. I would definitely recommend Dr. Lucas to anyone who is considering a laproscopy! Great Job to Dr. Lucas and the entire Vanderbilt surgery Team!!!

September 5th, 2012
Great Bedside Manner and professional
I have been seeing Dr Lucas for infertility for the past 4 months. He spends time with you, does good follow up (Example does follow up blood work to confirm ovulation) and adjusts medication. He is decisive about treatment but also listens to what you want to do as well. He thinks outside of the box and and understands that people are not cookie cutter. Clomid gave me horrible side effects and ovarian cysts but its all past Dr.'s were willing to offer because it was the standard ovulation inducing drug. He put me on femara and I have had good results from it and no side effects. I did my first IUI yesterday and was a bit nervous about the procedure. I couldn't have asked for a more compassionate doctor. He talked me though the whole thing and was gentle so I didn't feel a thing! Infertility treatment is stressful emotionally and expensive. The right doctor makes all the difference and I chose the right one for me.

July 23rd, 2012
Pain diagnosis
My wife had pelvic pain after a hysterectomy; her physician was unable to make a diagnosis and treat her in spite of multiple visits and X-rays and MRI. Dr. Lucas diagnosed and treated the problem at the first office visit. She and I could not be more pleased with the outcome. Nice office staff, comfortable surroundings that are patient friendly. I would recommend him to my friends.

July 20th, 2012
Always get a Second Opinion!!
My experience with him was not favorable. I did not feel like a patient. I felt like a student being pulled into the principal's office because I did something wrong. He gave me my FSH level results matter of factly. Then, he proceeded to inform me that because of this; I would not be able to have children and would be in menopause in 2012. To add salt to the wound; he said that a fertility clinic would say the same thing. The only nice thing he did during my visit was give me his number so my husband could call him. The resident that was with him gave me tissue and tried to comfort me, but the doctor did not. After believing him for a couple of months, I did nothing. Then, I got a second opinion. The fertility clinic said they could help me and I could get pregnant. However, God had another plan and I became pregnant without Dr. assistance. Dr. Lucas is practicing medicine and does not know what he is talking about. Thank God I got a second opinion. My baby girl should be here in 10 weeks!!