Surgical Specialist, Neurological Surgeon
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Thank God for Dr. Atkinson  |  show details
by CJ on Aug 14th, 2013

I am only one day removed from surgery to remove a pituitary macro adenoma and am driving back to my home 4 hours away as I type this. My results are amazing already. Dr. Atkinson performs perhaps more of these procedures than anyone and must be considered as one of the best in the world at this. While it must be confirmed with MRI scans over the next several years, it appears all of my tumor was successfully removed (17 mm), my vision has already improved, and we are optimistic my pituitary gland will return to normal function. If you are blessed to have Dr. Atkinson as your surgeon, you could not be in more skilled hands!!!

Apr 1st, 2013

I am one week post op from a pituitary macroadenona tumor removal at Mayo. Dr. Atkinson was absolutely wonderful along with the rest of his staff. During my consultation visit with Dr. Atkinson he was extremely thorough and provided options before making my decision. Even though his bedside manner isn't the best, his skills as a surgeon are excellent.

|  Two years post-op  |  show details
Nov 9th, 2012

I am two years post-op from pituitary macro adenoma. Dr Atkinson at first appeared quiet but soon into the first visit I had total confidence in him. Everything worked out perfect! I highly recomend Dr Atkinson and Mayo Clinic.

Oct 29th, 2012

He had a very callous, unsympathetic, haughty attitude. It didn't appear like he reviewed most of my tests or medical records. I did not have a surgery performed by him, so I cannot rate his surgical skills; but very poor "bedside manner". I do not recommend this doctor, and was very disappointed to receive such poor treatment at the Mayo Clinic.

|  Thank God for Mayo and these Doctors  |  show details
Dec 23rd, 2011

When no one else could even help me...no one could do anything for my pain. He helped me. Thank God for him and the Mayo Clinic!

Feb 3rd, 2011

I went to Dr Atkinson for a second opinion and he got it right. He examined me, ordered the correct scans and made a recommendation that made sense. I am fully recovered thanks to him. The Mayo clinic is wonderful!

|  brain surgery  |  show details
Oct 1st, 2010

Dr. Atkinson was a wonderful surgeon for our son. He was very confident and knew exactly what he was doing and was able to explain everything to us, not all doctors can communicate to patients and their family. He took time to explain the surgery to us, spend time with us after surgery and was very kind to answer all of our questions. I would highly recommend him to others.

|  Worth the Long Wait!  |  show details
Jun 3rd, 2010

I am a patient of Dr. Atkinsons and I can tell you that persistance paid off. You have to advocate for yourself or you will be just another number. Mayo is a world renowned hospital with world renowned physicians your going to have to look at the whole picture; and that is be thankful that your able to even be there. In this economy people don't even have jobs, insurance, or money to get them even the basic care and here we are getting the best care but at the cost of sitting and waiting for a while...Dr. Atkinson cured me of Cushings Disease and was straight forward with me. I personally would take a surgeon who doesnt chat and make me feel good over a physician who just gets the job done and done perfectly. As a patient and a nurse I urge you to investigate your signs and symptoms, research, and bring ideas to the table, and start ruling them out...You need to advocate for yourself!