Otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat)
Video profile
Windsor Road
3705 Medical Pkwy
Ste 310
Austin, TX 78705
512-458-6391
Locations and availability (2)

2.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Tick  |  show details
May 15th, 2012

Completely missed finding a tick in my ear. Dr. Austin would be my very last choice in a doctor.

|  Unprofessional  |  show details
Apr 5th, 2012

Dr. Austin skipped out on two scheduled appointments. When he did show up for the appointment, he only looked at the chart, not at the patient. He was rude, and flippant in responding about symptoms. I would not recommend Dr. Austin.

|  Find Another Doctor  |  show details
Mar 2nd, 2012

Went to Dr. Austin for sinus pain and vertigo. He checked out my ears, nose and throat and then sent me to get xrays of my sinuses. When they came back clear, he said, "I don't know what to tell you about your symptoms."

|  show details
Sep 2nd, 2011

Needs to listen to patient...

|  I highly recommend Dr. John Austin  |  show details
Feb 20th, 2011

Dr. Austin was able to fit me in in an emergency situation. He and his entire staff provide appropriate, compassionate health care. They set the bar on how to treat patients. Dr. Austin does not leave the exam room until all of my questions have been addressed. He is a great doctor and I highly recommend him.

|  Botched my surgery and did not fess up  |  show details
Jan 30th, 2011

Got surgery from him for a deviated septum. Had to go back to the hospital for severe pain and they put me on a morphine drip. A year or so later began having headaches again like sinusitis. Was told that they were probably ocular headaches from him and went on with these headaches for a while getting other opinions. My family practice suggested another ENT (Dr. Slaughter-great doctor by the way). Went to Slaughter he got me scanned and low and behold I had sinusitis and STILL had a deviated septum after my nose had been looked at by Dr. Austin he obviously new I still had a deviated septum and kept his mouth shut so I probably would not sue him for a botched surgery. Anyways got the septoplasy again by Slaughter and instead of a splint in my nose it is all done with one stitch and barely any pain, it was night and day, Austin-amateur hour, Slaughter- professional.

|  Great Surgeon!  |  show details
by Traci on Aug 16th, 2010

Dr Austin removed my thyroid and lymph nodes after it was discovered I had thyroid cancer. I'd never had surgery before and was terrified. My endocrinologist referred me to Austin ENT Associates but it was by chance that my appointment was scheduled with Dr. Austin. Upon my first meeting with him I felt very comfortable with scheduling my surgery with him. I had very little pain after the surgery and just got my stitches out and you can barely even see the incision. He's a great doctor and surgeon and I would definitely recommend him to anyone needing thyroid surgery. I am very happy with my results!

|  Worst Doctor I've Seen  |  show details
by Ben on Aug 16th, 2010

After being kept waiting over an hour on each of three visits (and never receiving any sort of even cursory apology), I finally registered my frustration with Dr. Austin, who preceded to verbally berate me in a manner so sarcastic, petulant, and condescending as to be comical. He essentially told me that me and my problem were not important, and behaved as though I should be thanking him for even agreeing to see me. How a person this caustic, narcissistic, and hostile manages to practice the caring art of medicine is beyond me. Avoid him at all costs.

|  Horrible bedside manner  |  show details
Feb 9th, 2010

Dr. Austin has horrible bedside manner. One visit he is "nice" and at other times he is moody, rude and defensive.

|  GREAT with kids  |  show details
Dec 4th, 2009

Dr. Austin has been wonderful with all three of my kids (ages 19, 9 and 4). In his efforts to be thorough he was able to locate a Pituitary Tumor that my son has and we were able to begin treatments before the tumor grew any larger. He was great with my daughter (4) when she was rushed into the emergency room after one of her scabs didnt heal to carry her in and hold her while they had to install an IV in her arm while she was still awake. He made her feel very comfortable and she still talks about that today always telling me he kept her safe! Love the office staff and his assistant who always makes my kids feel like what they want to say matters.

|  What a jerk!  |  show details
Aug 4th, 2009

He made flippant guesses about my condition before examining me, then after examining me acted surprised that I actually had sleep apnea. He sent me to a sleep lab, but I didn't get the two-part test he ordered. He wrote me a script for a cpap machine based on a guess and when I told him I didn't think it was working, he blew me off and gave me a lecture about losing weight... so I wouldn't "be a burden to my family" later in life. (Nobody in my family considers any family member a "burden" even with MS or arthritis or a mental illness). Later, I got that 2nd part of the sleep study and guess what? His guess wasn't strong enough. Being a jerk isn't just bedside manner, it makes him misdiagnose and mistreat his patients.

|  show details
Jan 7th, 2009

This physician was the most rude physician I have ever seen. He even made disparging remarks about his own receptionist and a licensedaudiologist.