Neurological Surgeon
6624 Fannin St
Ste 2340
Houston, TX 77030
713-796-2101
Locations and availability (4)

3.0

Some ratings provided by Practice Fusion.
 |  lamonecty surgery  |  show details
Feb 6th, 2014

please check other neruosurgen.dr has no compassion. i was walking good ,and everyday normal thing. the only problem constand back pain. would take pain meds but wanted to stop taking pain meds that is why i decided to have back surgery to eliminate taking pain meds.now i take twice the amount of pain meds and have a dop foot, have to wear special brace and shoes. after surgery had musle pain for about 30 days dr went on vacation could not locate.had another mri done after surgery/ dr said everything is ok. drop foot is not ok. i hope god forgives him.im trying.

|  Cannot diagnose Chiari Malformation  |  show details
Mar 27th, 2013

I went to see Dr Berry because he was located at The Houston Medical Center, which I have found to be a big disappointment! I moved back to Texas from LA and had been diagnosed with a brain disorder called Chiari Malformation. I brought my films from California with me and when Dr Berry looked at them, he asked if I had ever heard the diagnosis Chiari? He said that I would have to repeat the brain MRI with "his" radiologist and if "his" radiologist said I had Chiari, then I did; if not, then I didn't. He was so arrogant and my head was about to explode from a headache! I went through Dr Berry's exercise of paying for ANOTHER brain MRI with HIS radiologist in The Woodlands and then driving back to Houston, 200 miles. The old rule for Chiari was, if the cerebral tonsils herniated 5mm below the foramen magnum, it was Chiari; the new rule was any herniation below the foramen magnum and mine was 3mm. The radiologist was not up-to-date on the new rules! He said no Chiari. When I went back to Dr Berry, I spent only seconds with him, again, with a splitting headache! Long enough for him to say, "my radiologist says no Chiari, so you don't have Chiari! You have a headache! Get over it!" And walked out the door! Well, Dr Berry, if you read this, you and your radiologist were dead wrong! 4 months after seeing you, I almost lost my life to Chiari because of your mis-diagnosis! I had emergency brain surgery at The Chiari Institute in New York by some REAL brain surgeons who said I had very little fluid left around my brainstem. I'm glad you mis-diagnosed me as I got to the RIGHT doctors! Perhaps you and your radiologist should attend continuing education classes about Chiari and its related disorders. Read about Chiari Zero. I've found that Houston Medical Center is no big deal. I go out of state for my medical care! You are an arrogant doctor who should be held accountable for your mistakes! The first thing you should do is improve your attitude towards patients! You are NOT GOD. I make sure anyone with CHIARI in Texas knows my experience with you!

|  I would not recommend Dr. John Berry to anyone  |  show details
Mar 12th, 2013

Dr. John Berry performed a posterior laminectomy on me. He informed me that I did not have to have a graft and fusion at c6 and c7 disc, there was only bulging and he was going to shave it down. After he performed my surgery later that night I had the worse pain of my life. I could not raise my arm. The pain was unbearable. I had to use my right arm to hold up my left arm to adjust to a position that was comfortable. My husband called Dr. Berry, he instructed my husband to take me to the emergency room. Dr. Berry ordered a MRI. Dr. Berry did not visit with me until almost noon the next day. He informed me that he did not know what was going on and that my MRI was fine. He discharged me from the hospital and I continued to have excruciating pain. I decided to seek an orthopedic surgeon, he took x-rays and to my surprise I still had bulging at c6 and c7 disc. (Dr. Berry never corrected my problem)The orthopedic doctor decided to redo surgery but from the anterior of my neck. He performed the surgery two weeks after Dr. Berry attempted to do the first surgery. I ended up needing a graft and fusion as well. I now have a scar on the posterior of my neck and anterior of my neck. Dr. Berry was not honest with his findings from the MRI after the surgery. Weeks had gone by and Dr. Berry had not contacted me. The orthopedic doctor advised me to go back for a follow up from the surgery Dr. Berry had performed and he never noticed I had surgery redone from the anterior of my neck. I ended up telling him and informed him of the findings of the orthopedic surgeon. He showed no concern.

Aug 20th, 2011

Dr. John Berry has performed 2 cervical fusions and 1lumbar.I cannot say enough about the professional manner in which Dr.Berry and his staff conduct patient care.He is very thorough and will not consider surgery until absolutely necessary.Medical clearances are a must. Goldie Southall

|  No follow up  |  show details
Aug 7th, 2011

If Dr. Berry had spent the proper time in follow up I would not be faced with what I'm going through today. After surgery 2 follow up visit's being diagnosed with a stage 1 Glioma, was told by Dr. Berry the tumor will not come back and no follow ups needed, all of the tumor has been removed. Eight years later headaches are back and now diagnosed with a stage 3-4 malignant Astro cytoma another surgery plus chemo and radiation, was told this should've been done 8yrs ago?? Funny how this goes. Glad I'm not alone.

|  Infection  |  show details
May 10th, 2011

Poor follow up. Lots of problems after surgery. Could not find anything out about him until I spoke with his ex-nurse long after I had experienced problems. All of the reviews on here are pretty standard. He has good lawyers.

Apr 27th, 2011

Dr Berry did not schedule a follow-up visit after surgery. That bothered me. My Nerologist found a "nick" (damage) in my spinal after I had to schedule a post operation MRI. Dr. Berry said that it (the damage to my spinal cord) had been there for years. It is funny. It did not show on pre-operation MRI. Totally, I am unimpressed with his ability and procedure. I am on a walker and limited use of a cane and some of the same problems I had before the operation still occur. The surgery was for stenosis and he removed the little hooks on c-3, c-4, c-5, and c-6 vertebra. I guess for the rest of my life I am a cripple, which I was not preceding surgery. Check out other surgeons and talk with patients.

May 15th, 2009

After surgery I went back for two followup visits and told him of my difficulties and problems of electrical surging. His answer was to just wait for a while. It has been almost a year and many test without help. Went to a new doctor this week and was helped immediately.

|  Cervical Spondylosis  |  show details
Feb 24th, 2009

Had laminectomy surgery. After surgery had nerve shooting surges through arms and legs. Dr. Berry saw me three or four times after surgery. Continued to tell me to give "it" more time. Did not give me any explanation as to why I felt differently after surgery and was experiencing much discomfort. It has been 8 months after surgery. I have gone to other doctors, had MRIs, Mylogram, Cat Scans, and tried acupuncture. Now I am going to a pain management doctor.

|  Not satisfied  |  show details
Feb 20th, 2009

I am very disappointed and surprised that I have been treated so poorly by a doctor. it was as if he had a problem with me from the beginning by his rudeness. After the surgery it was as if I was bothering him. He never followed up with me to see how I was doing and after several months of his office refilling my perscription for Hydrocodone for pain,his office informed me that probably the reason he was taking so long to fill my prescription was because I should be going to my primary doctor for it. He never even cared why i was in so much pain that i had to take the hydrocodone which he prescribed in the first place. No follow up, no post op instructions nothing!!