Addiction Medicine Specialist, Psychiatrists

10820 Parkside Dr
Knoxville, TN 37934
865-218-7972
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Jeff on Jul 28th, 2014

Diagnosed my condition and treated it effectively. I would recommend him to others.

|  couldn't be better  |  show details
Jun 12th, 2014

I have been seeing Dr Robertson and his staff for about 10 years. This practice has changed my life. I finally got a correct diagnosis and beneficial care. Dr Robertson is knowledgeable, compassionate and patient. His nursing staff is incredible. They really take the time with me to learn and understand all that I have been going through. I never feel rushed. I feel like my input matters with the doctor and the nurses. I rarely have to wait more than 10 minutes to be seen. The front office staff isn't the most friendly however and the practice administrator is gruff and rude. I think the practice would benefit from having a complete overhaul in the administrative part. But aside from that, I am very pleased with my care at Dr Robertson's office. He and his staff have changed my life for the better.

|  Robertson's an idiot  |  show details
by Beyond Caring on May 13th, 2014

This idiot's license should be revoked!! Horrible diagnostician. Pill pusher. Did more HARM to my family than you can possibly imagine. Please, if you care for your child (and I know you do!) run, don't walk, as fast and as far as you can in the other direction. Forget the fact that the front desk 'girls' are atrocious, that the office administrator very obviously cares more about money than he does patient care (to the point of lunacy, mind you), and that Robertson's computerized diagnostic method seems to have come from the 1980's. Robertson is inept, impotent and has no business in the medical field, let alone to fiend off of children and their worried parents. This Howdy Doody DUD makes me sick.

|  Wrong diagnosis caused months of misery  |  show details
by Hardy on Jan 25th, 2014

I took my 14 yr old daughter to Dr. Robertson in August 2013. After a round of computer tests, he diagnosed her as "Bi-Polar with Psychotic features", and starting pushing his latest drug rep sample, Latuda, along with lots of other meds. She didn't get better, and in fact was getting worse and worse. It came to the point where she couldn't leave the home, and couldn't bare to be separated from me. Her anxiety was through the roof, and I begged over and over for Dr. R to prescribe something for anxiety. Nope! Once the 'psychosis' clears up, no more anxiety, he said, Well he was freaking WRONG. Three independent diagnosticians have seen my child since. She DOES NOT have bi-polar disorder. She has an anxiety disorder including separation anxiety, panic attacks, etc. She should NEVER have been diagnosed bi-polar! I doubted the diagnosis from the beginning, but before Robertson even told me the diagnosis, he took my kid in a private room AND TOLD HER that she had this very serious diagnosis. Oh, and when we kept bringing up the anxiety, he actually 'wrote a prescription' it was his recommendation that my daughter take MY anti-anxiety medication. I think that's illegal, and I'm going to speak with a malpractice attorney. Such harm done to my sweet child. Months of misery, all the time wasted when she was so easily diagnosed by other qualified clinicians. Um, check the diagnostic manual once in a while Dr. R. You totally missed that the 'clue' you took for mania did NOT jibe with the DSR. What the bleep is wrong with you?!?!?!? Did you try intentionally to hurt her, or are you just too stupid to be in the field you're in. **Sooo Angry - and ready to sue!**

|  Great Doc, Office Staff Just Okay  |  show details
by Richard on Jun 5th, 2013

The office staff weren't very forgiving if you missed an appointment. But if you have insurance you should be okay. The nurse I had was very nice. The doctor was terrific. It's a pity it's out of my network now. But I saw him for two years and in that time my life changed. He always seemed to genuinely care about me as a person. He's not afraid to prescribe you what he thinks you need, but he's also very understanding and open to your input. He was never pushy. If your concern is your kid being overmedicated from reading things on here, just be open and honest about your concerns. At the end of the day, Dr. Robertson is probably my favorite doctor I ever had. He took his time with me and was thoughtful, even giving me financial and career advice (he urged me to take advantage of an offered 401k plan that I had dismissed and I will probably be very thankful for that in decades to come).

Feb 5th, 2013

|  Wonderful Dr.  |  show details
by Happy Mother on Jan 28th, 2013

He is very compassionate and really cares for his patients well being. The testing for my daughter was very thorough and most of the results I was expecting. When he told me she had signs of bi-polar it surprised me a little bit, but not too much since I have the mood disorder as well. When I found out it brought me to tears and the staff really felt for me. One of the girls behind the desk even gave me a big hug. I really recommend Dr. Robertson and everyone at his practice. I have been going to this practice for almost a year now and they have helped me tremendously.

|  Best psychiatrist I've seen  |  show details
Sep 18th, 2012

Dr. Robertson was first my daughter's psychiatrist and now mine as well. I was impressed with the thorough evaluation process for both of us. I had previously been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but didn't feel it fit me well. Dr. Robertson has taken his time in diagnosing me and my daughter as well. He was not quick to label either of us beyond what is necessary for insurance purposes. I will admit that I am a complicated case with many mitigating factors coming into play. Neither my daughter or I fit neatly into any box and he's okay with that. He does prescribe medication, that's why we go there. My meds have slowly been altered and I am doing better. It isn't a quick process and i understand that. He is careful in his follow-up and makes medication changes slowly. His staff is available when we have problems with medication reactions or just questions. Dr. Robertson talks to me as a thinking human being explaining why he is making my med choices, and I really like that. He has also been very willing to listen to my feedback and answer my questions, even listen to a differing opinion and make changes. What I appreciate most is that he really cares about all the facets of my health, not just mental health. He is the only doctor I have, and I have many, that treats me as a whole person. He makes great suggestions for care in other areas too. I think he has the heart of a therapist with the knowledge of a psychiatrist. He has said a sentence or two to me that have helped more than some therapists have in months. He also advocates for the therapy component of psychiatric care. I like that he holds me accountable for things I am supposed to do between visits as well. The staff is great, the wait to be seen is short. If I had to find a negative, it would be that he's busy! Sometimes it is hard to get my daughter's appointment and mine back to back at the time we'd like. But, I want the best, obviously others do to. I will happily deal with that.

|  Think twice  |  show details
Aug 29th, 2011

If you or a loved one needs these services look elsewhere it will save you anguish and grief. I was treated for bipolar disorder after i was treated for ADD. Lowering doses or stopping med.s was out of the question in conversation. Now a year after being off all of my med.s I can't believe how much harm that medication did. Think twice when he tells you he wants to add a med to help your child because before you know it your child will be on everything for nothing.

|  Very thorough evaluation/Accurate Diagnosis  |  show details
May 25th, 2011

After visiting many doctors for my adolescent child's needs, we finally decided to pay for an out-of-the-pocket, full evaluation. The diagnoses that came back were initially a bit overwhelming but it pieced together everything our child had been through. The treatment that was provided to our child has been excellent. Our child is only on one medication and has had an 180 degree turnaround since our first visit four months ago. I highly recommend Dr. Robertson. We have never had a problem with scheduling. Nurses have dealt with insurance issues for the prescription immediately and quickly. All calls have been returned within a 24 hour time frame. We have never waited to be seen over five minutes. Thank you Dr. Robertson.

|  You misdiagnosed me with bipolar  |  show details
Apr 17th, 2011

You started me on powerful psychiatric medicines at around age 17. I continued on them for a decade. My life was filled with misery. I later discovered that my symptoms were due to poor digestion and nutritional deficiencies particularly vitamin b-12.Stopping sugar, using vitamin supplements and of course managing stress was the answer. Now with a proper diet I do not need any vitamins or medication.Why do you not do blood work for deficiencies? Don't you know that these conditions can mimic bipolar? Look at the work of Harvard doctor Charles Popper.I am considering filing a malpractice suit against you. My interest is preventing this from happening to others.

by LSB on Oct 8th, 2010

Dr. Robertson was referred to me over 11 yrs. ago by Dr. Andrew Zimmerman of Johns Hopkins University for my adult son who is autistic and bi-polar. Under Dr. Robertson's care he has not required any hospitalizations, is closely monitored for any adverse reactions or unstable mood swings, and I have had all after hours calls returned promptly. Dr. Robertson and his staff are highly competent, professional, and caring. My input in all aspects of his care is encouraged and valued. I recommend Dr. Robertson without reservations.

|  Money or Medicine  |  show details
Jul 15th, 2010

I am very upset over being charged for my son being unable to get to appt-after calling in to cancel appt. Two months later I receive a bill for $114.00 for a missed office visit. I find it very interesting they can keep up with the money but haven't called to reschedule or wonder why we haven't been back. I make sure to always call and cancel appointment since I work in an office. But the professionalism of this group is lacking in many ways. I am afraid it is about the money instead of the care of the patients. You WILL pay up front before the visit. I should have gone on gut feeling last time I was there with my son. After the testing on the computers to diagnose the problem(s) you may spend 5 minutes with Dr. and that is for the meds. only. You have to go back over and over for renewal of prescription. It would maybe be beneficial if he had been tested after taking meds for 2 years.......but has never been retested to see how he is doing better/worse. Looking for new Doctor

|  Avoid this man at all costs!!  |  show details
Jun 14th, 2009

This psychiatrist has to have the worst reputation in Knoxville. I was a patient of his for three years and he had me on more pills than I can count. When the medicine he had me on gave me the shakes, he gave me medicine to fix the shakes. When the medicine i was on to fix the shakes kept me from sleeping, he gave me medicine to put me to sleep. I was so drugged I could barely function at school. When I turned eighteen last year I switched to Dr. Jobson and he immediately re diagnosed me and took me off of everything Robertson had me on. I'm a new person! I finally feel the way a normal person should. Dr Robertson believes every patient he sees is Bi-Polar and ADD. I have spoken to so many former patients of his (and even a former psychologist who worked with him) who have had the same experience. I just wish I had known before the three years I spent under his "care". PLEASE learn from my experience and stay away from this man.

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse