Dr. John Benavides DO Patient Reviews

3.2
  • 9 reviews

November 3rd, 2016
I have never been talked to or treated the way he did with me. He wanted to take me off of everything and only gave me 2 weeks of Hydrocodone. I have been on all these drugs for 10 years now and that was very harsh treatment for a 77-year-old woman.

August 17th, 2016
I have been seeing Dr. Benavides for a couple of years for severe back, neck & shoulder issues. He has always taken very good care of mr. He always asks if I have any issues or questions, hW makes sure I understand everything & actually listens to what I have to say & to any concerns I may have.

October 14th, 2015
Unprofessional, Rude, and Unknowledgable
Likely the worst doctor that I have ever met. He is arrogant and condescending, chronically late, and unprofessional. Plan to wait for at least 2 hours (especially if it's anywhere near lunchtime). He will not smile and he does not know the answers to basic medical questions. His number one priority is to keep you on as many pills as possible. You will be interrogated at each visit and treated like an inconvenience that pads his wallet rather than a caring physician.

March 4th, 2015
Dr Do Little
His site states that he offers all kinds of procedures to manage chronic pain. BUT I certainly wasn't offered any of those listed! I only met him once and after that I was always met by a PA. I finally insisted on starting a procedure that was said to stop my kind of pain. After the initial injections, I had little or no pain and was excited and ready for the final procedure that would make it permanent. Imagine my surprise when he told me that because I didn't have pain for a week, after the procedure, he wouldn't do the final one! He said I needed to lose weight and do aerobic exercise! I'm nearly 80, have bad knees, an ankle that barely works, torn rotator cusp and can barely walk with a cane...and yes, I could afford to lose 30 lbs. but at my age losing weight is hard. I had always felt that he really did not want me as a patient and I told him that. He didn't deny it and so I left, sorry that I had wasted so much time with a person that obviously never took the Hippocratic Oath to heart. I laughed all the way home as if anyone needs to lose weight and do exercise...it's Dr Benevides! He is fat and messy looking. If you want a doctor with the personality of a petulant teen, this is your guy!!!

July 26th, 2012
Tom M., retired senior Naval Officer/Pilot.
I have been under the professional care of Dr. Benavides for three years. I am a retired Navy Commander who was fortunate to have flown the F-14 during these 22 years. An unfortunate result of this stressful flying was I have had 8 spine operations which have been painful to say the least. Dr Benavides has been instrumental in my rehabilitation, and just as important, has reduced significantly at times excruciating pain associated with the surgeries. He always has the time. He always gives me the time to explain his methods pertaining to pain relief are. In my opinion there is simply no one I trust my health and well-being to than Dr. Benavides...period!

March 27th, 2012
HE SHOULD BE THE PATIENT
I AM 50 WITH PAIN IN MY NECK AND LOWER BACK, HAD AN MRI, I HAVE BULGING AND DEGENERATIVE DRY DISCS, ARTHRITIS AND NO CARTILAGE IN MY KNEE THAT ALSO HAS ARTHRITIS AND TENDONITIS. HE GIVES ME THE MILDEST FORM 5/325, HAVE SEEN HIM 3 TIMES & TREATS ME LIKE A DRUG ADDICT EVERY TIME, HE HAS NO SYMPATHY, NO BEDSIDE MANNER, TOLD ME I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT, HE IS FAT! I'M FINDING A NEW DOCTOR, NO ONE IN PAIN NEEDS THIS ABUSE.

October 20th, 2011
Don't Waste Your Time
I sought this doctor out to find the source of a continuing back problem I had been suffering to be able to function in my life. He ordered an MRI of my entire spine and located a few things, but nothing that explained my actual problem then insisted that I had Fibromyalgia. He would put me on medication that would not even take care of the pain but would keep my body addicted to opiate medications. Further getting in contact with his office was always brutal and after leaving it was very difficult to attain my medical records. Several months later after doing a standard Adams Test (which is something every general practitioner does during a standard physical to check the curvature of one's spine) I found that I had two curvatures in my spine. Which is also clearly visible when looking at my MRIs as well. Also if you are under the age of 30 his staff WILL treat you as a drug-seeker, I saw him at 23 years old and his staff treated me with the disdain of an addict because I was the youngest patient. Not a good doctor I mean how good can you be if you miss something as obvious and simple as a curvature in the spine that is amplified enough to off-set an entire side of a person's body by two centimeters? Don't waste your time.

June 26th, 2011
Most professional, courteous and educated
I'm not sure about what happened to that last person who rated Dr Benavides on here, but they must be seeing a different Doctor. I have nothing but positive things to say about him. Migraines among other things have been keeping me from being able to function at work, school, and as a Volunteer Firefighter. Dr Benavides changed all that. He's kind, courteous, very well educated, and obviously dedicated to what he does. He spends as much time as necessary listening and answering my questions, and never rushes me. He explains everything clearly and makes sure I understand my options. I've been recommending him to anyone I can. He is excellent at what he does and I feel fortunate to have found him. My quality of life has improved because of him.

April 27th, 2011
Bad bedside manner
If you want a doctor that will help you and treat you right, don't go to this doctor. He is full of himself and doesn't have a caring bone in his body. The last 2 times I went to see him, all the people in the waiting room were talking about how mean he was and called him many names. Don't go to him, if you want a caring doctor.