J A Byrd III, MD
Atlantic Orthopaedic Specialists
844 Kempsville Rd Ste 101
Norfolk, VA 23502
757-321-3300
Locations and availability (8)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Needs to lean how to treat people and stop going on what he think but by what he no  |  show details
Aug 2nd, 2012

You need to learn how to listen to your patients and give them a since of comfort and make them fill good. Stop begin a but hole and be a doctor. Treating people with less will get you no where and you need to understand that doctor.

|  show details
Aug 18th, 2011

I have been to see this doctor several times due to a work related injury. I have never waited less than 2 hours beyond my appointment time to see him. I have followed all of his directives. Over a year after the injury, he still just wants to give me muscle relaxers rather than perform any actual diagnostic exams. He has yet to tell me what is wrong, whether it is muscle, ligament, or nerve damage and is not interested in helping me. His words were "I wish I could help you more." So I asked politely for an mri. Instead he said No, how about some more flexiril?" I do not reccommend this doctor if you have a work related injury. I can only hope he treats his non-workmans comp patients more thoroughly.

|  I felt better from the moment I met him!  |  show details
by Bill McCarty on Jun 14th, 2010

I had already seen a neurosurgeon that told me a 45 min. surgery was all that I needed. I knew from the MRI and my personal physician that my back was much worse than had been explained. My first appointment was a "work me into schedule".I waited about 45 minutes and he went overmy MRI with my wife and me.He also had an xray done in his office. The position for the xray showed exactly how the condition had deteriorated. I had to wait a month and it was well worth the wait.The surgery was done at De Paul Hospital on 03/03/2010. It took 5 and 1/2 hours and went as planned. I was feeling much better the next morning but considerably weaker. He had told me that I could expect about a 60% to 70% improvement. After one month I felt 100% better by following his well explained instructions. I saw him in one month and again in 2 months. My next appointment is in 3 months. His staff is excellent as well as his PA (she was at the hospital every day and checked on me daily)I never had to go without pain medicine - if a refill was needed, there was a nurse to call and ask. I actually took much less pain meds than I had for knee surgery. I am 66 years of age and it would be fair to say that I have seen by my fair share of Doctors but this one is exceptional. He has a great sense of humor and knows when to use it.I never felt uptight about the surgery. My physical therapist recommended him and I trust her explicitly. He is known on the outer banks of NC as the Back Guru. I cannot imagine some of the things said in the other reviews and wonder if they were talking about someone else? Enough said!

|  Not a good experience  |  show details
Oct 28th, 2009

No comment. choose your surgeon wisely.

|  show details
Sep 4th, 2009

I have heard so many good things about you,from doctors and friends!But somewhere from lectures and your inventions you took a oath to help people.regardless of there insurance,race or whatever.what little life i have has now changed 100%,Which has changed my whole family even my dogs.I understand the system isn't perfect,but you know right from wrong.When you have that two minutes of silence at home think of the people whose lifes are in the gutter,because of your wrong doings.IM A better person than you I do know that,and i will pray for you.And i do forgive you! it would be nice if you remove the yaht magazines from your waiting rooms,some of us dont have gas money to come to your visits.