Dermatologist (skin)

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.0

• Currently 2.4193548387097 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore. Yahoo.
 |  Doctor reviewing doctor  |  show details
by Tom L. on Mar 6th, 2014

I like casual dress. Clinical staff very good. Reception had no idea that the website has wrong address, building set back from street behind bank. Appropriate amount of time spent per problem, good social skills, Gave new instructions and suggestions. Will go back.

|  Worst experience  |  show details
by Honest Review on Oct 24th, 2013

Please make sure you read as many reviews as possible about Dr. John Cottam. This is an honest review and I have to warn you that I had a horrible experience with this doctor and his staff. The staff is unprofessional and rude. I called Shawna Frame at billing to review some of the charges incurred and she was rude and not helpful at all. I’m a financial analyst so I understand numbers but her explanations were so bad that we got into an argument and she just couldn’t handle the conversation and that’s when she started to be very obnoxious to the point she was not letting me speak anymore. The second time I went there when I was about to sign up when the front desk lady instead of welcoming with a good afternoon, her first words that came were “You own a balance of $$”. I politely asked what did I owned and after asking Shawna (Billing) she responded “I guess you don’t own us nothing”. While waiting to be called the staff was very noise and their conversations were not proper for patients to listen, a lot of personal details and bad mouthing previous patients. You could hear a lot of locomotion behind the scenes, not a pleasant environment at all. Dr. Cottom speaks way too fast and didn’t provide good explanations unless I had to asked many times to try to understand what was best for me. Like in other internet reviews their billing procedures are shady and no details provided. They just charge and in my case I didn’t received any invoices unless I asked to see before paying any balance. I had to constantly ask what was I being charged for .. they didn’t seem to like my inquiries and I could see a lot of rolling eyes. I wish I wouldn’t never got involved with them and I seriously hope you don’t have to go through with what I had to keep up. Honestly, save yourself a headache and go somewhere else. Do you your research it pays off at the end.

|  NO NO & NO  |  show details
Sep 12th, 2013

One of the worst doctors office experiences ever! Unorganized staff, witnessed Dr. Cottam yelling at the staff before we even made it back to the room for our visit. Nurse came in, took all our information, Dr Cottam breezed in, made my daughter and I both feel horrible with his belittling and judgmental opinions and breezed right back out. Nurse brought us back some scripts that didn't even work. And a month later I received a bill which my insurance company had already paid. Called to fight it and got nowhere! Rude, unprofessional and just overall a bad experience. He was the only dermatologist on my daughters insurance plan for a long time, I assume they had lots of complaints since they have recently added another one to the list of providers. Either way, I would pay as much as is takes out of pocket to never return to Cottams office again. I was forced to give an overall rating but he does not deserve any stars!

|  Teacher  |  show details
by Dr. Razavi on Aug 22nd, 2013

Please save yourself and find another doctor. Dr. John Cottam is in the business of medicine not practice of medicine. He spent less than 3 minutes with me and got up and left. His response to my question was to ask his assistant. He was very rude. Furthermore, he made a racist comment. Something about if I could diagnose cancer then I will be working for the king of Arabia. Thinking I was an Arab. Which I was not! He should say good bye to medicine and open a 7/11. It will serve him best. Because all he wanted to do was to due a procedure and was asking me in that few minutes that we spoke to let's send all of your molds to lab? As all of you know procedure equals money so they want to cut you up so they can get paid this is not about the patients or what is best for the patients. This very shameful. Please find another doctor. I also saw his staff at lunch in and asked them about whether is rude and one of them said you think he bad with you guys he is an A Whole with us. 6 of us want to leave his practice. I am shocked that medicine does not have stronger ethical code like we do for Lawyers. Doctors like Dr. Cottam should be disciplined for treatment of their employee and patients.

|  Moron Doctor  |  show details
by Richard Burton on Jul 2nd, 2013

This had to be the worst experience I have ever had. From getting the appointment set, to the billing procedure to rudeness of staff to the guy in the Hawaiian shirt, who I assumed to be Dr. Cottam, he made no formal introduction and was in such a hurry and so rude and cut me off multiple times, while I was trying to explain to him what the problem was for my 12-year old daughter, whose infection was not even looked at by this menace to society. He was talking over me and got me so mad that an argument broke out and he fled the room. Nothing was handled and we just wasted our time with this alleged doctor, who knows who this really was. It could have been some sicko off the straight playing doctor like he was in the Saw Movie or something. I am actually glad this wack didn't touch my daughter or look at her, he might have made her worse. It is a disgrace. The women who does the billing, has no idea what she is doing. Couldn't even do a basic medipass lookup and was all about getting a second form of credit. Amazing. I hope a few trips to the Outback or some dive bar aren't listed on my statement. All of the senior citizens in there were appalled and everyone who left was irate as they were walking out the door. They say you can't polish a turd, which is true, but this one (the doctor) needs to be flushed.

by Former patient on May 30th, 2013

Overall a good doctor. I went to him for years. He got political with my wife on one visit and she was done. He moves you in and our very quickly which is good. I've never been to an office where the office staff would argue out loud among themselves and use foul language thus one major reason I sought another doctor. This applies to the office staff in Brandon at the time. I have since moved on to a different doctor and very much satisfied.

|  Liked going here  |  show details
by bobby on Feb 28th, 2013

The experience was about as hassle free as possible.. Got in fast, out fast. Attractive staff, and everyone seemed to know what they were doing.. Didn't get much time with the doctor but got everything I needed and all my questions answered.

|  very good  |  show details
by sarah on Feb 26th, 2013

Ha! I saw a review here from a Lady who saw five Doctors? and she was unhappy with dr. cottam? Sounds like Maybe shes unhappy about all doctors. Dr. Cottam is very efficient and runs a good office. If you want to get the diagnosis quickly and not long waits like I have had., definitely go see him!

|  dont believe bad reviews  |  show details
by skinprob on Feb 25th, 2013

This office is run very eficiently and the doctor knows his stuff. we went to four other dermatologists before finding doctor cottam.. he is busy for a reason, and he works quick. you usually wont have to wait too long there. One of the patients had five children and her her husband in the offce for a visit just for one person. the staff politely asked whoever was "extra" to wait outside and they put up a fuss. I was told later that that's why they have complaints about no waiting room is because people are coming in with the whole family!! He does move fast but his staff is trained well too , so if you have a question, just ask it and he'll tell you. every visit we have had with him at the end he has said "Any questions?" so dont believe stuff about not enough time.. If you have a question.,. ask it.

Jan 22nd, 2013

Good doctor, but he rushes staff an makes you feel very uncomfortable, almost as if you a interrupting him. Very poor billing. Never sent original bill and when I received invoice it had. $10 late fee. I will never go back and recommend you stay away too!!!!!!

|  Will never go back  |  show details
Nov 9th, 2012

I had a cyst removed. 3 weeks later I am swollen from a bad infection. Told him I wa allergic to latex and still used latex gloves. Had reation to antibiotics his staff waited 2 days to call in replacement causing the infectio to spread up my back and down into my legs. In the worst pain in my life and he will not give pain meds. Refused at the time od procedure to give pain meds, had to go to my primary to get medication. I really believe he butchered me. Have an appointment with my primary this afternoon. DO NOT EVER GO TO THIS SO CALLED DOCTOR!!!!

Nov 8th, 2012

Rude staff and doctor

|  DO NOT GO TO THIS ARROGANT DOCTOR!!!!  |  show details
Oct 26th, 2012

I brought my 3 year old daughter to this doctor after she had already seen 5 other doctors for a skin condition. Upon entry to the office I knew it was going to be an ordeal. People were sitting on the floor in the waiting room, the person at the front desk was rude, I had to submit a credit card as a second form of ID (WHAT????!!!), the paperwork I had to fill out was even rude, believe it or not.... We had to wait an hour (on the floor) even though we had an appointment. When we were finally called back to a room and the nurse interviewed us. The doctor breezed in with no introduction, never even bothered to look at the rash my daughter had been suffering with for 2 months, signed off on prescriptions that THE NURSE WROTE OUT!!! and left the room. I tried asking questions but he didn't want to give any answers...He was very condescending when I tried to question his diagnoses and medicinal choices.. I spent $120 in prescriptions that did nothing. On the follow up visit I voiced my opion to the same "nurse" who wrote the prescriptions and was told after she spoke with the doctor that because I have an attitude he thinks its best that I follow up with the dermatologist whom I scheduled an appt with on 10/31/12. I told her that that appointment is a 2nd opinion not a follow up since Dr. Cottam is too good to spend time with his patients to even find out what their true ailment is. WORST DOCTOR I HAVE EVER MET!!!! DONT GO!!!

Aug 15th, 2012

I called this office to sch an appt and the girl who ans the phone was very rude. wow I have never been treated that way and did not make an appt nor will I with staff like that

|  Pill Pusher  |  show details
Aug 9th, 2012

I cannot believe how insensitive a doctor could be. This "dermatologist" has no right openly scrutinizing a physical and sexual assault of our 5 year old foster child right in front of her. Her spirit was broken when we left. He did not want to actually diagnose physical skin condition, only wanted to push some miracle cream that cures all. Never go see this guy.

Jul 6th, 2012

The appoinment setter Dawn is very rude, speaks over customers, states she does not have to be courteus she is just there to make appointments. I called to change an existing appointment and without even asking the name of the patient stated that we woul have to wait a month. Hung up the call twise. Is is very sad as patients call alrady because they have a problem or illness and to be treated this way is just disgraseful. I hope Dawn finds another jobs that satisfies her. Maybe as a correctional officer or the military

|  DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR!  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2012

DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR!! I went for a skin cancer checkup. Dr. Cottam (or at least I assume it was Dr. Cottam since he never introduced himself) came into room, told me to stand up fully dressed, lifted the back of my shirt up to my bra strap, told me to pull up my pants legs and shirt sleeves and glanced at my skin. Never checked the top of my back, my shoulders, neck, stomach, thighs or anywhere else under my clothes. I pointed out 2 places on my collarbone. He grabbed spray and froze them and told me to wear a big hat and left the room!! That was the extent of the exam. His staff is sullen and rude and the waiting room is like a dungeon. I reported him to my insurance company but will still have to pay again to go to another doctor for a comprehensive and professional exam. Don't waste your money and/or take the chance you may have something that needs to be treated.

|  Very Rude Staff  |  show details
May 2nd, 2012

While you don't have to wait long to see the doctor, you are processed through like an assembly line part. The staff is extremely rude. Would not even look at my insurance card when I had a question about the co-pay and possible fees incurred. I would not recommend this office to anyone. The doctor diagnosed that I had to have a 3 inch of skin removed from my chest; I went to another dermatologist and have a barely noticeable scar instead. Find another doctor.

|  THE WORST DR. EXPERIENCE  |  show details
Apr 28th, 2012

I recently visited his bradenton office with my 6mo old it was disgusting used insruments just sitting around the exam table was covered in junk he didn't even look at her he was literally in the room two minutes the nurses aid was writing and signing prescriptions which added to the already uncomfortable experience very poor manerizms by the office staff thet rush you out how can she start writing prescriptions without even looking. Worst experience ever

|  The Dr is SUPER......he was better than awesome.  |  show details
Apr 6th, 2012

For years I have gone to many dermatologist and was always diagnosed with eczema. I have flaky skin around my eye brows and flaky skin around my nose.I had always used a over the counter cream and the other Dr.s told me there was no treatment other than to keep it moisturized.On my very first treatment, Dr. Cottam was able to diagnose my problem ans prescribe the correct medicine. WOW. I did NOT have eczema but another type of disorder which after 20 years of suffering this unsightly flaky skin is now cured. Bless this man !Thank youBobby EdingtonAnna Maria Island, Florida

|  Office Manager, Jennifer  |  show details
Jan 24th, 2012

The staff is the first impression of any business. Upon calling to request information, I received, "Um no, I'm trying to do a 1001 things here today." Now this was the office manager who went by Jennifer. I wouldn't bother after that "warm" greeting.

|  Overpayment  |  show details
Jan 23rd, 2012

My wife saw the doctor on may 10 2011 and was charged $30.00 for the visit which insurance paid. We have the paper showing the insurance paid, however they will not refund the $30 overpaid.

Dec 22nd, 2011

He charged me for my visit and my insurance paid. We cannot get a refund after many phone calls!!!!!!!

|  My bad experience  |  show details
Sep 23rd, 2011

I would not recommend this doctor to my dog. I saw this provider on 7/7/11 (if you want to call him a doctor) for 2 wart removals on my left ring finger and he burned me terribly (3rd degree burns which left me scarred permanently). I screamed in the room so loud to stop and he continued burning me. If you can see my pictures, you would be turned off. It is gross. I went to him to check on it to give the benefit of the doubt and he advised me that it is so common to have this happen. Bull! This is a common procedure for me (not the first time with other dermatologists). He would not apologize and gave me some gauze to put on the finger. As of today, my finger is burned and scarred and this is 9/23/11. There was no new skin growth over this finger and is so tender to the touch. I do not want anyone to go to this doctor because he is a quack and his appointment cards are xeroxed with his picture taped on it. I do not want anyone to suffer. His office staff is rude, slso dreary and dirty. He also rushed me out and did not want to hear anymore. No bedside manner. I have reported him and hope that no one goes to him. This is my warning!

|  NEVER AGAIN !!!  |  show details
Sep 7th, 2011

After 2 visits I stopped,even my skin problem still exist...Why? It is useless. Diagnosis is poor,the same treatment for different patients with different problem(?),bedside manner very poor,no realinterest about patients... Recommendation:NEVER GO to this "doctor" !

|  very, very poor  |  show details
Jun 1st, 2011

staff was very rude.... at the Brandon office, my son has medicaid therefore we do not have an Ins. card, but instead we do have a policy #. The staff told us that was going to be aproblem and refuse to see my son.I work in a Dr. Office I know this is not a problem as long someone is doing their job to verify ins..... very very bad!!!!! I will not go there again... you lost a New Patient forever!!!

|  poor bedside manner and too quick  |  show details
May 6th, 2011

In Jan2011, I visit him 4 times for mole biopsy. His Bradenton, FL location was a complete dump. There was soap cans and trach cans all over. He has so much junk on the patient table, that I had to sit on a hard wood chair for consultation and the biopsy procedure!! He was way to fast with me. Each question I asked as rudely answered with short reply or handing me a flyer. After he left the room, the nurse "continued" the exam and helped explain things better than DR. Cottam.He was so rushed on 1 visit that he was actually calling his billing office while doing my biopsy and handing the phone to his nurse.I agree with all the better reviews on this site!Stay away. there are much better DEMO doctors out there.

|  A great visit in my estimation  |  show details
Mar 2nd, 2011

I made an appt. approximately 3 days before the appt., but after seeing some of the negative reviews after the fact, wondered if I should go. Glad I did. The staff was efficient and friendly. I got in shortly after my appt. time. I was surprised by the ability of the assistant to diagnose what I have before the doctor even arrived. She was extremely friendly and made diagnoses that were spot on. as cofirmed by Dr. Cottam. I thought his care was a little hurried, but that isn't a huge criterion of judgment for me, if a doctor can make an accurate diagnosis. He noted some things I hadn't mentioned and took care of those issues immediately. I also found him very personable, which shocked me given the negative reviews I had seen. I'd go back in a heartbeat and would recommend him to anyone needing his scope of care.

|  8 year patient  |  show details
May 3rd, 2010

I think he is a wonderful doctor. He never rushes me and will communicate with me, sometimes just to talk for a few minutes. He always takes a proactive approach to anything which draws suspician. He is brilliant with a very high energy level. I wouldn't even consider changing dermatologist because of his expertise, and because of his willingness to talk and advise. I trust him implicitly.

|  Do not take your child to this man  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Nov 8th, 2008 on insiderpages.com

I normally don`t write reviews, and I always have patience for long waits or paperwork mishaps, as I know mistakes happen. What I don`t hav...

|  Top Notch  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Sep 22nd, 2008 on insiderpages.com

This doctor is one of the best. No dermatologist should have to spend 30 minutes! with a patient unless he is doing surgery - I have had su...

May 22nd, 2008 on yahoo.com

Do yourself a favor find another doctor! The doctor is very knowledgeable but has no bedside manners. His Brandon Office personnel should all be fired. They are rude, lazy, unproductive and obnoxious. They lie, refuse to identify themselves when you call

Read Full Review at yahoo.com
 |  Don`t go  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Sep 29th, 2007 on insiderpages.com

I went to see him on a recommendation from my primary. He was in the room less than 30 secs after waiting way past my appt. All staff was r...

|  DONT GO  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Jul 1st, 2006 on insiderpages.com

MY HUSBAND USED THIS DERMATOLOGIST RECENTLY AND WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED AS THE OFFICE WAS VERY BUSY,AND HE HAD TO STAND AS THERE WAS NOT ENOUG...

|  Extremely Good Doctor  |  show details
by Citysearch User on May 23rd, 2006 on insiderpages.com

He is very knowledgable and knew exactly how to fix my problem. I would recommend to anyone to use this doctor. It was also a very afforda...

|  Inefficient & rude  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Jul 26th, 2005 on insiderpages.com

This Dr`s schedule leaves much to be desired - patients are left waiting for hours, test results are lost - absolutely no bedside manner dis...