Dr. John Coughlin Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. John Coughlin?

Posted on November 18th, 2015

Front office isn't organized and typically doesn't know what's going on with your file.

Surgeon bullies.

Posted on October 29th, 2015

I personally felt bullied. Being a 17 yr. Old girl who is over weight he really did bully me. When my wound opened back up he told me it was my fault when it wasn't at all . he's heartless. Maybe for a skinny child but not for big children he will make you cry and just feel so crappy about yourself his nurses were friendly and amazingly nice just not him .

Posted on September 16th, 2015

Excellent Doctor!

Posted on July 16th, 2015

Best surgeon ever.. He did my 3 sons surgeries.. I will recommend him..

Best Pediatric Surgeon in Florida

Posted on February 11th, 2015

Dr. Coughlin is AMAZING!!! I just wish he was a pediatrician rather than a pediatric surgeon. He is very friendly, very prompt, and interacts great with the kids! The best experience I have ever had with a doctor!

Great Job!!

Posted on January 30th, 2013

I thought Dr. Coughlin did a fantastic job. He was courteous, energitic and efficient when dealing with us and our son. The surgery to repair the inguinal hernia took less than an hour and Dr. Coughlin made a point to come and check on us several times while we were waiting on our son to be moved into the recovery area. Thus far there have been no complications. Unfortunately the nurse who answers the phone and schedules appointments at his north tampa office is very rude and has very little customer service skills. But we can't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. The nurses at the surgical center were awesome. I would definately recommend Dr. Coughlin to others in need of pediatric surgical care.

If you have any other options, take one of them.

Posted on September 16th, 2012

When my 13-year old was diagnosed with a rectal absess, Florida Hospital referred us to this man. He was crass, rude, and intimidating and seriously spent about two minutes with us in the room on each visit. On one visit, he told me simply, "I want her in surgery tomorrow morning so I can clean it up." This surgery left her with a hole and a cavity the size of a golf ball in her rectal area. She ended up repeating the same surgery four times within a week. Then he told me I needed to change the packing and dressing three times daily. She screamed and cried each time I attempted it, so I went back to him so that he could show me what needed to be done. He began with a dowel moving the flesh around inside the wound to show me open vessels. She was crying so hard and begging him to stop, explaining that the pain was excruciating. He kept going, and when she finally wailed, "Please stop touching it," he informed her that a 13-year old did not have the right to tell an adult not to touch her. That was our last visit to him. I started driving her all the way to Orlando to a wound care specialist, who informed me that every instruction I had received from Dr. Coughlin had most likely prolonged healing and put my daughter through unnecessary, excruciating pain. The wound care specialist said it was not healthy to pack the wound tightly, that instead it was to be packed with a wick to drain the infection. He also said that changing it three times each day and repeating the surgeries so many times had most likely irritated it, but instead that it should be left alone except to change the wick every other day. Dr. Coughlin had been packing it with gauze, and lots of it, and the new physician said a wound like this needed some specialty wound supplies which were medicated with a silver compound which promotes healing. He also said it needed to be kept completely dry (Dr. Coughlin had told her soak her bottom in a bath three times daily). The new physician said she shouldn't even bathe. Dr. Coughlin had also told her that she should go ahead and begin sitting on it as soon as possible, to which our new specialist said that she absolutely should not sit on it at all. Under the new physician, the wound has gone from a golf-ball size cavity to a thumbtip size cavity in two weeks. My poor daughter has been incapacited for nearly three months, and I truly believe that part of the complication is owed to poor health choices on the part of this physician. He is always in a hurry, is extremely rude, and there is nothing he doesn't "know." During this entire ordeal, he refused to give her medication for pain (he told me to give her Tylenol). During one of the nights I was frustrated with the wound, I took her to the ER at St. Joseph's, and they gave her morphene for pain. So he even did a poor job of pain management, and my poor daughter has survived weeks of excruciating and unnecessary pain. This man definitely chose the right specialty field for himself. The patients he exercise his medical "expertise" on are completely subdued through anesthesia while he is interacting with them. They are children, without a voice and unable to fight back. If you have a sick child, go anywhere but here.

Posted on March 3rd, 2017