Overall Review

3.6

January 23rd, 2016
He is the best
Dr. jelly is the best out there. He did both my shoulders years ago and I have never ha s problem since. I drove to Philadelphia from Tampa Florida to have surgery because he is so good at what he does. He had a wonderful personality and is very caring.

September 6th, 2015
questionable ethics
Butchered my leg. Severed a nerve and scarred a vein and told me my pain was just me being "anxious". Did not provide follow up care or do a work up to see why I had such pain months after the surgery. Instead, he said my pain was simply my anxiety and actually referenced this in my medical records. I had to have diagnostics done away from UPenn which showed a severed nerve and a scarred vein. Upon alerting the administration at UPenn about this they have yet to refer to a nerve or vascular doctor for a work up and for options. It's now been ten months post surgery that I have shooting nerve pain in my leg and swelling from the severed nerve and scarred vein. Terrible, unethical doctor. He may seem like he has a decent bed side manner, but try asking him "technical" questions about the procedures or recovery. He prefers to banter about the stock market and make corny jokes. Have been wholly disgusted with UPenn's failure to address the complications. Avoid.

July 28th, 2014
Say Ah.....
If ever there was a physician who enjoys his work its Dr. Kelly. He has a keen eye, a great temperament and is surrounded with the best that medical science and modern surgical technique can offer.

November 19th, 2013
I was referred to Dr. Kelly by a physician in my area. The first appointment with him, he had my problem diagnosed within 5 minutes!! He is an excellent physician with great bedside manner and he really knows his stuff!! I would absolutely recommend anyone to him!!! Fabulous Dr. They're not easy to find these days!!!

September 8th, 2013
Best in the business
I was referred to Dr. Kelly after being misdiagnosed at another practice. Dr. Kelly does have a tendency to run behind on his appointments. When you see him, you will find out very quickly why that is the case. He gives you the time you need and does not rush through the appointment. The last doctor that I had was asking "any questions" as he was walking out the door. Not Dr. Kelly. All questions are answered, and you leave with confidence in the diagnosis. He is very knowledgeable. What makes Dr. Kelly stand out is his empathy. He is one of the few doctors that I feel cares about the patient and does not just treat the condition. I unfortunately ended up having surgery which was performed by Dr. Kelly. My first day home, Dr. Kelly took the time to call to see how I was doing. I have had 3 prior surgeries and none of my surgeons called me post-discharge. Overall, I feel Dr. Kelly is worth the longer wait time for appointments. By the way, his staff is very upfront when he is running late. It is all about setting appropriate expectations. Nothing is more frustrating when you are told that you will be seen "soon" and it ends up not being the case.

August 1st, 2013
Dr. Kelly is AMAZING
I have had a lot of injuries since I was about 15 and I have seen Dr. Kelly for all of them. I am 25 years old now and I have been on crutched 14x since then. He only does shoulder and neck now, but he's also helped me fix a bursitis problem in my shoulder as well as a broken collar bone. I recently have been dealing with a bulging disk that the pain management doctor from another could not figure out and even though he doesn't see spine issues, he scheduled me in out of the goodness of his heart. I am FINALLY on my way to recovery because of him. He is an incredible person and an amazing doctor. He is thorough and careful, you can tell he knows his stuff and more importantly, he actually cares about your well-being. I have tried other sports medicine doctors and they do not compare. He is well rounded in his expertise and so if he cannot give you the best answer, he will send you to the best person for the job. I, honestly, look at him as family now. As annoying as any of my injuries have been, I get a little excited that I get to see Dr. Kelly, he is that much of a pleasure to be around. I highly recommend him to anyone dealing with any sort of injury, he's the best!

May 4th, 2012
Where do I start?
So I arrive at the office and wait about 1hr and 10 minutes to be taken back into a room. I hurt my knee lifting weights and racing motocross. The doctor puts me on crutches for a month. I follow his instructions religiously. I go back and am still having knee problems.He sends me to physical therapy, all the while the physical therapy was doing damage to my knee due to my having damaged cartilage. It has now been 10 months and I am starting to improve under instruction of a different physician.Dr. Kelly not only misdiagnosed me, but caused more damage. I will also say the PT staff was very qualified so they were not at fault, being one of the best facilities in the area.

October 21st, 2011
Bully
Oh Good... Dr. John Kelly... A horribly inappropriate and hate slinging individual. It is a shame that you would be associated with such a bully who ...

July 27th, 2011
ACL & Meniscus Repair with Dr. Kelly
I recently had my left knee ACL reconstructed and my meniscus repaired. Dr. Kelly was totally worth the wait. The reason I had to wait for the appointment with him, was due to the time that he takes with each patient individually to make sure that all concerns are addressed, and he actually gets to know you on a personal level. As far as the surgery went, 3 months post-op, and my knee is almost back to pre-injury status. I can't recommend Dr. Kelly strongly enough.

April 22nd, 2011
Best of the best!
One of the best doctors I have ever come across. Amazing bedside manner and even better when it comes to being a surgeon. Took a knee that was completely shot and made it like new. He truly knows his craft, is very forward thinking and advanced in his techniques yet still knows where the techniques came from and isnt afraid to default to what has been proven to work. His staff, residents, nurses and PT are number one next to anyone in my book, bar none. Would recommend him to anyone. He truly makes you feel as though you are his only patient and that it is his own personal journey to make you better. You can tell he genuinely takes the injury personally and will see to it that all options are explored in making sure you get better. #1! I truly believe anyone that has an issue with how he does his job needs to be a little more introspective and think about how good of a patient they are. There is a little give and take with the docto/patient relationship and you cant expect them to just be miracle workers. But if you listen to him and do as he says, you will, without a doubt, get better.

March 2nd, 2011
Not the best
Well trained doctor with lots of expertise who guessed my condition wrong and twice kept me waiting to be seen for outrageously long periods. The office staff was cold and unconcerned....in a practice where some patients (including me) were obviously feeling poorly.