John J Debarros, MD
Surgeons, Bariatric Specialist (obesity)

Debarros Surgical
1855 E Southern Ave
Tempe, AZ 85282
888-322-7296
Locations and availability (7)

3.0

• Currently 3.4761904761905 of 4 stars
  • Currently 2.9047619047619 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.047619047619 of 4 stars
 |  Happy to have chosen WLIA  |  show details
by Vivian on Sep 10th, 2014

I began my journey with WLIA in August and feel great about how quickly things are moving as in appointment set ups. At my very first appt I was nervous but happy that I made the decision to go with WLIA in lou of other weight loss centers. Dr. DeBarros is a well know established surgeon and I am pleased I chose WLIA. The staff made me feel at place, very comfortable and they are very thorough explaining everything to you. I am so very excited for the coming months that will lead to a healthier me.

by AmiPeterman on Aug 4th, 2014

Words cannot express the gratitude I have for Dr. DeBarros, and I am so happy that I chose WLIA through my life change. I continue to share in my success Dr. DeBarros, and I look forward to my visits with him. He is funny, personable, knowledgeable and supportive. He explained everything to me in detail, and he listens and talks through any concerns or questions that I may have. I get excited to show him my progress, and he is excited to watch me change too. I highly recommend Dr. DeBarros as your surgeon through this amazing and life changing journey. The staff at WLIA will not disappoint.

|  Great doctor  |  show details
by Landon D. on Jul 27th, 2014

I have worked with Dr. DeBarros and Dr. Orris for over a year now. I like how they work together in helping me achieve my weight loss goals. I am down about 40 lbs. The process does have it's ups and downs. I'm going to have an endoscope for my first anniversary. They release the band and make sure everything is okay since I've been having a tough time keeping food down. I like how WLIA;s staff treats me. They answer all my questions and make sure I have a full understanding of how I'm making the most with my weight loss. I appreciate all the hard work they have put into me and my success.

|  TheHappyCamper  |  show details
by TheHappyCamper on Jul 6th, 2014

I am currently four weeks post op for the LapBand. I cannot thank the entire office staff of Weight Loss Institution of Arizona enough! They have all been so wonderful and knowledgeable. I am literally melting away and will continue to spread the good word about their office!

|  Dr. John DeBarros  |  show details
by Toni V on Jun 4th, 2014

T V.06/03/2014Edit I had my first consultation and I'm very pleased with the doctors and the staff. The staff at WLIA were all very kind and considerate answering all of my preliminary questions. The woman in finance really helped by explaining what my insurance would cover and what my out of pocket costs will be. I love Mike, the nutritionist. He was very helpful in preparing me for what to expect. I would definitely recommend the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona to anyone who is considering weight loss surgery. They answered all of my questions and will do the same for you. This review is on behalf of T. V, WLIA client.

|  Lap band  |  show details
by Jenni W. on May 22nd, 2014

I love WLIA! They changed My life! The nurses and Dr are amazing! This is the best thing I have ever done for myself!!

|  Review  |  show details
by Erika Holbein on May 5th, 2014

I had my first Consultation and could not be more ready for this journey. The staff at WLIA has made this decision very easy to make. The finance people really help with budgeting and the nutritionist is very helpful in preparing me for what to expect. I would definitely recommend the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona to anyone who is considering weight loss surgery. They answered all of my questions thoroughly and will do the same for you. This review is on behalf of Erika Nicole Holbein, WLIA customer.

|  show details
by M. Griswold on Apr 27th, 2014

Dr. DeBarros and his support staff are the best weight loss group that I have found. The staff is very helpfull and does not stop until my needs have been taken care of. They are very kind and caring and make sure I receive all the information I need. I do not hesitate to recommend Dr DeBarros to anyone looking for a new lifestyle and weight loss experience.

|  Straight shooter  |  show details
by Vickie on Mar 19th, 2014

I have meet with Dr. DeBarros on two occasions now. I find him to be a very personable individual...not your typical surgeon. He is a straight shooter. You might not always like what he has to say but he is direct. My only suggestion would be that he not answer his cell phone while with patients. He did answer all my questions and did not make me feel rushed.

|  Patient  |  show details
by Saverio Barbera on Mar 11th, 2014

Dr DeBarros creates an immediate trust when he interacts with you as he explains my weight loss options and its related pros and cons.

|  Excellent Surgeon  |  show details
by SMS on Mar 4th, 2014

I became aware of Dr DeBarros when I required emergency gall bladder surgery. The first time we met was me on a gurney waiting to be taken into surgery. In that emergency situation, he was confident and reassuring. The follow up visit with him left a lasting positive impression. Fast forward 6 years, I am researching weight loss surgeries and my first thought was Dr DeBarros. He is very thorough and honest when answering questions and discussing options. If he has concerns or hesitations about a certain procedure, he will ensure the proper tests are performed. He checked all of my information in the system and verified all the information was correct. He did not just take for granted that others had entered the information correctly. Dr DeBarros will be performing an EGD to make sure I am a candidate for the sleeve. I am excited about the EGD and finding out the results. I highly recommend Dr DeBarros. I wish you all a happy journey.....SMS

|  Getting Control of my Life  |  show details
by R. Gail on Feb 7th, 2014

I am so thankful to Dr. DeBarros and his staff for the LapBand Surgery. I am finally getting my life back and it feels good. Dr. D is woderful, personable and spends all the time that you need to answer any and all questions. I would highly recommend him to anyone reading this. Very satisfied patient.

|  show details
by CJN on Jun 13th, 2013

Dr DeBarros Is an excellent Dr and surgeon. He takes time to explain procedures and answers questions. However if things don't go his way he displays a terrible temper in front of his patients. My last visit with him I wasn't where he thought I should be and I was made to feel very uncomfortable .

|  new  |  show details
by suep on Feb 5th, 2013

loved the staff and doctor was uplifing!

|  inguinal hernia repair  |  show details
May 3rd, 2012

I was referred to Dr Debarros by another surgeon in the Phoenix area to repair an inguinal hernia that was the result of a previous abdominal surgery. He was courteous, personable, and professional and his staff was great especially Becky who is also his wife. My surgery was scheduled promptly at his own surgery center in Tempe. The day of surgery went smoothly although I felt the surgery staff was in a hurry to get me out of the recovery room. I was having difficulty post op with nausea and vomiting which I had forewarned the anesthesiologist. The anesthesiologist assured me "his patients don't get ill post op". So the surgery went well, but I felt like I was hurried out of there.My post op visit was with Dr deBarros associate Dr. Galitsky (?) who was also very professional and thorough. I would recommend Dr DeBarros without hesitation.

|  PLEASE BEWARE BEFORE YOU SEE THIS DR  |  show details
Apr 5th, 2012

I was admitted to Chandler Regional Hospital for an emergency appendectomy around midnight. I was informed that my surgery would not take place until the next morning as he charged too much to come in during the night. Dr. DeBarros visited me at 7 the next morning and informed me that I would be taken to the OR in a few minutes. I requested time for me to call my husband so he could be there when they took me in. Dr. DeBarros became very angry and said that I should have taken care of it earlier. When he talked to my husband after my surgery, he turned to the waiting room nurse and told her that he would probably only make $900 on this particular surgery, not enough to make it worth his while. The next time I saw him, it was at my follow-up appointment. He stormed around the office yelling at his staff because a picture had been moved. He sat across the desk from me and for about 30 minutes told me how little he made because insurance companies and hospitals were so unfair. He also complained about being made to treat uninsured patients as he would make no money on them. He then asked me to pull up my shirt so he could see my incision. He became very angry because I had put dressing on it according to the hospital's instructions. According to him, I should have left it uncovered. He sent me next door to have a young woman remove the staples, and I never saw him again. Months later I received a bill from his office for $3600 over and above what my insurance company paid him (around $1800). After wrangling with my insurance company and his office, he was paid the balance. I would recommend serious thought before "treatment" by this man. He is rude, angry, and worst of all in his profession strictly to get rich. He will tell you how little he makes while his Porsche sits in the parking space outside. I am still shaking my head in disbelief at the treatment I received.

|  patient beware  |  show details
by cjones on Feb 10th, 2010

Dr Debarros performed emergency hernia surgery on my dad at Mercy Gilbert Hospital. He would not give us reasons why it was needed immediately, would not give us a proper diagnoses, did not get approval through insurance for the surgery, but did it anyway and has bankrupted my dad. We found out later he moonlights on the weekends as an emergency surgeon and makes big bucks performing surgeries that aren't really needed, but could wait until later. He leaves it up to the patient to fight the insurance companies for coverage and when they won't cover it, his bills are put on your credit report and sent to a collection agency because he does not make payment arrangements. He would not even write a letter for the insurance and repeat what he told us in the hospital. Dishonest, money grubbing, corrupt physician.

|  Only money matters!  |  show details
Apr 11th, 2009

If patients come first for Dr. De Barros, why is the first & foremost concern money? The entire focus had to do with payment before treatment.