Dr. John De Barros, MD
Surgical Specialist, Colorectal Surgeon (colon & rectum), Bariatric Specialist (obesity), Family Practitioner

dr john debarros show details dr john debarros
Apr 23rd, 2015

the staff and dr debarros are so nice i just cant wait omg.

Initial Consultation show details Initial Consultation
by Desirrae on Apr 7th, 2015

Dr DeBarros and his staff were very professional and very friendly as well. They made me feel at ease with all my questions and concerns if I was to go forward with my procedure. They didn't hestiate to answer all my questions and let me know all that would be involved with the process and the financial side as well. I felt I made the right choice in moving forward with Dr DeBarros and the WLIA staff.

Mar 31st, 2015

Dr. DeBarros and his staff have been more than helpful and accommodating to me. They treat you like a friend not just a patient. WLIA also provide a wonderful facebook community to give peer help from other patients and they have monthly group meetings as well as activities to make the whole process go much smoother.

by Cathie D on Mar 29th, 2015

I have had one initial visit that impressed me in comparison to other centers. The Dr. spent time with me to answer questions and explain the different procedures. The WLIA staff are the best. They are ready to help me to keep on track with all that is required to complete the steps and appointments needed to have my procedure done.

by Anita Nava on Mar 27th, 2015

I love Dr DeBarros he did my initial LapBand as well as my rebuckle I am grateful that he didn't just yank my band out and offered a solution. Love that he listened to me.

Great experience show details Great experience
by Crysthal R on Mar 16th, 2015

I have been going to WLIAZ since December. I see Dr. DeBarros and he has made this such a wonderful experience. He is so easy to talk to, answers all my questions and listens to my concerns and is very knowledgeable and professional. It is hard enough fighting the fight with weight loss, however I know with WILAZ by my side it will be smooth.

by Rosalinda Sanchez on Mar 9th, 2015

I had my initial consultation this past weekend and I can honestly say that the staff and Dr. made my visit worth it. I was VERY NERVOUS when I arrived and did not know what to expect. As my appointment flowed, the step by step process allowed my nerves to calm and I was able to explore my options with ease. The staff made it easy for me to ask questions and write down my notes. Thank you Dr. and Staff for making this a pleasurable experience.

by Jennifer A on Mar 8th, 2015

I have been a going to WLIA since Nov. 2014 and had lap-band surgery in late Jan. 2015. They have several offices around the valley which makes it really convenient. I have visited a few of the locations and have felt extremely comfortable in each. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Dr DeBarros is a wonderful doctor. Very informative, straight forward and to the point. He also treats and talks to his patients on a more personal level making you really feel like our fully aware and informed and that all your questions have been answered. I highly recommend WLIA to anyone reaching out for help with their weight loss.

WLIA is super show details WLIA is super
by Debra G. on Feb 18th, 2015

Both the doctors, all the staff and dietitians are the best. My experience with the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona has been great.

Two thumbs up! show details Two thumbs up!
by Carolyn B. on Feb 6th, 2015

There are no other word to describe Dr. DeBarros other than amazing. He knows what he is talking about - He is not just a weigh loss doctor he is a patient too! His personality is one in a million and made me laugh every time I would get nervous. Him and his staff always know what to say.

WLIAZ show details WLIAZ
by George H. on Jan 26th, 2015

When I went to the weight loss institute I was not sure what to expect. I met with Dr. DeBarros and he explained the procedure and answered all my questions.

by Vvn on Jan 19th, 2015

Just had my pre-op appt and got my surgery date. My appt went smooth, I felt very well informed from the staff at the offices of Dr. DeBarros & Dr. Orris. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time, my nervous do settle when I think about whom I choose to do my lapband, WLIA. I'm confidant in Dr. Orris and the staff at WLIA. I am so ready to continue my journey to a healthier me.

by AK Hernandez on Jan 17th, 2015

I would have to admit when Dr. DeBarros first walking into the room I was scared I thought he was going to be so mean. To my surprise he was extremely nice and cracked a few jokes with me and my husband. He made me feel so very confident in him preforming my upcoming surgery. I would highly recommend him to everyone out there who is looking for a great doctor for their weight loss journey. I might add too that the staff he has is very friendly! I seem to always talk to Jason on the phone and he is just so pleasant and courteous every single time I call to ask a question. Keep up the great work!

No better hands show details No better hands
by LScott on Dec 23rd, 2014

Dr DeBarros and the staff at WLIA are great. They have been right there with me through every step of my weight loss journey. Dr Orris spends quality time with his patients answering any and all question I had. I felt all the staff gave me so much encouragement and support I needed before and after my procedure and . I would highly recommend him and all the staff at WLIA.

Great Experience with WLIAZ show details Great Experience with WLIAZ
by Micheal Baca on Dec 9th, 2014

its been a few years that i have been thinking of getting the lap band. When i finally crossed that line i went to a few places that my insurance suggested and WLIAZ was one of them. After meeting Dr Debarros I knew i would come here to get my band. They seemed to have a great routine and knew what they were doing. thousands of procedures and thousands of sucess stories. The Long wait time was a big turn off but after the ball got rolling things went smoother I recommend if anyone is looking for this type of surgery to always go "shopping" but do your self a favor and make sure you at least check our WLIAZ

Great office, staff and doctor! show details Great office, staff and doctor!
by Kristina Bayer on Nov 18th, 2014

I have been going to WLIAZ Tempe since June and each visit is a plesant experience. I make a 3 hour drive every month just for my visits and it doesn't bother me one bit because I know I'm getting excellent care and have a top notch staff handling my case. Dr DeBarros is the best! He's very attentative to your needs and concerns and always finds a way to make me feel better if i'm ever doubtfull of the goals. He and his staff are just the best at what they do!

48hrs and counting!! show details 48hrs and counting!!
by Laura S on Nov 5th, 2014

The Team has been great getting me prepared both physically and mentally. Here's to the new me!!

by Peggy D on Nov 1st, 2014

I have been a patient since August 2014. I am in the process of having all the testing needed. I will say Dr.DeBarros is very thorough, I can't wait to have the surgery and to see the results I know will come.

Dr. DeBarros show details Dr. DeBarros
by Jackie Wilson on Oct 6th, 2014

Dr. DeBarros is very professional and knowlegeable. He is very caring and takes his time with each patient. They have many offices to chose from. Their staff is very competent and timely. I have been a patient of his and the Weight Loss Institute of AZ for over 3 years and wouldn't go anywhere else.

Happy to have chosen WLIA show details Happy to have chosen WLIA
by Vivian on Sep 10th, 2014

I began my journey with WLIA in August and feel great about how quickly things are moving as in appointment set ups. At my very first appt I was nervous but happy that I made the decision to go with WLIA in lou of other weight loss centers. Dr. DeBarros is a well know established surgeon and I am pleased I chose WLIA. The staff made me feel at place, very comfortable and they are very thorough explaining everything to you. I am so very excited for the coming months that will lead to a healthier me.

Thank you WLIA show details Thank you WLIA
by AmiPeterman on Aug 4th, 2014

Words cannot express the gratitude I have for Dr. DeBarros, and I am so happy that I chose WLIA through my life change. I continue to share in my success Dr. DeBarros, and I look forward to my visits with him. He is funny, personable, knowledgeable and supportive. He explained everything to me in detail, and he listens and talks through any concerns or questions that I may have. I get excited to show him my progress, and he is excited to watch me change too. I highly recommend Dr. DeBarros as your surgeon through this amazing and life changing journey. The staff at WLIA will not disappoint.

Great doctor show details Great doctor
by Landon D. on Jul 27th, 2014

I have worked with Dr. DeBarros and Dr. Orris for over a year now. I like how they work together in helping me achieve my weight loss goals. I am down about 40 lbs. The process does have it's ups and downs. I'm going to have an endoscope for my first anniversary. They release the band and make sure everything is okay since I've been having a tough time keeping food down. I like how WLIA;s staff treats me. They answer all my questions and make sure I have a full understanding of how I'm making the most with my weight loss. I appreciate all the hard work they have put into me and my success.

TheHappyCamper show details TheHappyCamper
by TheHappyCamper on Jul 6th, 2014

I am currently four weeks post op for the LapBand. I cannot thank the entire office staff of Weight Loss Institution of Arizona enough! They have all been so wonderful and knowledgeable. I am literally melting away and will continue to spread the good word about their office!

Dr. John DeBarros show details Dr. John DeBarros
by Toni V on Jun 4th, 2014

T V.06/03/2014Edit I had my first consultation and I'm very pleased with the doctors and the staff. The staff at WLIA were all very kind and considerate answering all of my preliminary questions. The woman in finance really helped by explaining what my insurance would cover and what my out of pocket costs will be. I love Mike, the nutritionist. He was very helpful in preparing me for what to expect. I would definitely recommend the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona to anyone who is considering weight loss surgery. They answered all of my questions and will do the same for you. This review is on behalf of T. V, WLIA client.

Lap band show details Lap band
by Jenni W. on May 22nd, 2014

I love WLIA! They changed My life! The nurses and Dr are amazing! This is the best thing I have ever done for myself!!

Review show details Review
by Erika Holbein on May 5th, 2014

I had my first Consultation and could not be more ready for this journey. The staff at WLIA has made this decision very easy to make. The finance people really help with budgeting and the nutritionist is very helpful in preparing me for what to expect. I would definitely recommend the Weight Loss Institute of Arizona to anyone who is considering weight loss surgery. They answered all of my questions thoroughly and will do the same for you. This review is on behalf of Erika Nicole Holbein, WLIA customer.

by M. Griswold on Apr 27th, 2014

Dr. DeBarros and his support staff are the best weight loss group that I have found. The staff is very helpfull and does not stop until my needs have been taken care of. They are very kind and caring and make sure I receive all the information I need. I do not hesitate to recommend Dr DeBarros to anyone looking for a new lifestyle and weight loss experience.

Straight shooter show details Straight shooter
by Vickie on Mar 19th, 2014

I have meet with Dr. DeBarros on two occasions now. I find him to be a very personable individual...not your typical surgeon. He is a straight shooter. You might not always like what he has to say but he is direct. My only suggestion would be that he not answer his cell phone while with patients. He did answer all my questions and did not make me feel rushed.

Patient show details Patient
by Saverio Barbera on Mar 11th, 2014

Dr DeBarros creates an immediate trust when he interacts with you as he explains my weight loss options and its related pros and cons.

Excellent Surgeon show details Excellent Surgeon
by SMS on Mar 4th, 2014

I became aware of Dr DeBarros when I required emergency gall bladder surgery. The first time we met was me on a gurney waiting to be taken into surgery. In that emergency situation, he was confident and reassuring. The follow up visit with him left a lasting positive impression. Fast forward 6 years, I am researching weight loss surgeries and my first thought was Dr DeBarros. He is very thorough and honest when answering questions and discussing options. If he has concerns or hesitations about a certain procedure, he will ensure the proper tests are performed. He checked all of my information in the system and verified all the information was correct. He did not just take for granted that others had entered the information correctly. Dr DeBarros will be performing an EGD to make sure I am a candidate for the sleeve. I am excited about the EGD and finding out the results. I highly recommend Dr DeBarros. I wish you all a happy journey.....SMS

Getting Control of my Life show details Getting Control of my Life
by R. Gail on Feb 7th, 2014

I am so thankful to Dr. DeBarros and his staff for the LapBand Surgery. I am finally getting my life back and it feels good. Dr. D is woderful, personable and spends all the time that you need to answer any and all questions. I would highly recommend him to anyone reading this. Very satisfied patient.

by CJN on Jun 13th, 2013

Dr DeBarros Is an excellent Dr and surgeon. He takes time to explain procedures and answers questions. However if things don't go his way he displays a terrible temper in front of his patients. My last visit with him I wasn't where he thought I should be and I was made to feel very uncomfortable .

new show details new
by suep on Feb 5th, 2013

loved the staff and doctor was uplifing!

inguinal hernia repair show details inguinal hernia repair
May 3rd, 2012

I was referred to Dr Debarros by another surgeon in the Phoenix area to repair an inguinal hernia that was the result of a previous abdominal surgery. He was courteous, personable, and professional and his staff was great especially Becky who is also his wife. My surgery was scheduled promptly at his own surgery center in Tempe. The day of surgery went smoothly although I felt the surgery staff was in a hurry to get me out of the recovery room. I was having difficulty post op with nausea and vomiting which I had forewarned the anesthesiologist. The anesthesiologist assured me "his patients don't get ill post op". So the surgery went well, but I felt like I was hurried out of there.My post op visit was with Dr deBarros associate Dr. Galitsky (?) who was also very professional and thorough. I would recommend Dr DeBarros without hesitation.

PLEASE BEWARE BEFORE YOU SEE THIS DR show details PLEASE BEWARE BEFORE YOU SEE THIS DR
Apr 5th, 2012

I was admitted to Chandler Regional Hospital for an emergency appendectomy around midnight. I was informed that my surgery would not take place until the next morning as he charged too much to come in during the night. Dr. DeBarros visited me at 7 the next morning and informed me that I would be taken to the OR in a few minutes. I requested time for me to call my husband so he could be there when they took me in. Dr. DeBarros became very angry and said that I should have taken care of it earlier. When he talked to my husband after my surgery, he turned to the waiting room nurse and told her that he would probably only make $900 on this particular surgery, not enough to make it worth his while. The next time I saw him, it was at my follow-up appointment. He stormed around the office yelling at his staff because a picture had been moved. He sat across the desk from me and for about 30 minutes told me how little he made because insurance companies and hospitals were so unfair. He also complained about being made to treat uninsured patients as he would make no money on them. He then asked me to pull up my shirt so he could see my incision. He became very angry because I had put dressing on it according to the hospital's instructions. According to him, I should have left it uncovered. He sent me next door to have a young woman remove the staples, and I never saw him again. Months later I received a bill from his office for $3600 over and above what my insurance company paid him (around $1800). After wrangling with my insurance company and his office, he was paid the balance. I would recommend serious thought before "treatment" by this man. He is rude, angry, and worst of all in his profession strictly to get rich. He will tell you how little he makes while his Porsche sits in the parking space outside. I am still shaking my head in disbelief at the treatment I received.

patient beware show details patient beware
by cjones on Feb 10th, 2010

Dr Debarros performed emergency hernia surgery on my dad at Mercy Gilbert Hospital. He would not give us reasons why it was needed immediately, would not give us a proper diagnoses, did not get approval through insurance for the surgery, but did it anyway and has bankrupted my dad. We found out later he moonlights on the weekends as an emergency surgeon and makes big bucks performing surgeries that aren't really needed, but could wait until later. He leaves it up to the patient to fight the insurance companies for coverage and when they won't cover it, his bills are put on your credit report and sent to a collection agency because he does not make payment arrangements. He would not even write a letter for the insurance and repeat what he told us in the hospital. Dishonest, money grubbing, corrupt physician.

Only money matters! show details Only money matters!
Apr 11th, 2009

If patients come first for Dr. De Barros, why is the first & foremost concern money? The entire focus had to do with payment before treatment.