Overall Review

January 12th, 2015
John Dolan is the best neuroligist in the busniess what a great Dr and man

September 29th, 2014
Excellent
My first visit with Dr Dolan was about 5 years ago. I had a host of overlapping symptoms and couldn't get a specific diagnosis. Dr Dolan treated each symptom until I finally had a diagnosis. Very grateful patient,

July 14th, 2014
I had to call the office for a prescription. I was having a medical problem and wasn't able to clearly explain my problem. I apologized and hung up, I was upset with myself. A nurse called me back after talking to the doctor. Apologized, and called in a prescription. Awesome !

March 15th, 2014
I was put on a medication that gave me severe side affects but the staff did not deal with my complaint / concerns properly. I am very sensitive to side affects with generic meds & during my initial office visit made that clear to the Dr. However, when I called them to discuss the side affect issues that I was having from the generic meds they put me on, the nurse Michelle told me to continue taking the meds (even though my side affects were listed as a serious side affect)and she would put a request in to my insurance co for the brand name. I started to explain to her that my insurance was extremely difficult to get that approved & she abruptly cut me off and said she knows exactly what to say as she has done this type of request many times before. Call ended. I called back a day or two later in the middle of the night & told their answering service that I'm not waiting for the approval any more, the med side affects are so bad that I'm stopping them whether or not Michelle agrees. The next morning Michelle called me back as I requested from the answering service - I don't remember much about that call except we were still waiting to hear if my insurance would be approving the brand name drug. A day or two later I received the denial from my insurance co. I called my insurance company & they tried but couldn't change the denial as once the FDA approves the generic - that's what they use. The woman I spoke to at my insurance company understood what I was going through as she said I'm not the first person she has dealt with who has issues with genetic (as a matter of fact, she was well aware that it's an issue with a lot of people but her hands were tied. I then called Dr. Dolan's office and asked for Michelle to tell her about the denial and to see if she could call my insurance as my insurance said the only way for me to possibly get the brand name drug would be a note from my dr stating why. It was during this conversation with Michelle that she made me feel that I was inconveniencing her and she had no sympathy for the situation. I explained to her I'd like to try the brand name as I know my body - that generic meds affect me as they do many others, her response was that basically that made no sense as generic and brand names are the exact same thing, which they really are not the exact same thing or they wouldn't have such negative affects on some people nor would they be so much cheaper. That she could have me try other medications (all generic mind you) for the reasons why the other generic med was prescribed for me. I explained to her that my body rejects generic, I don't like it but I can't control it. I asked if there was anything that could be done for me as I really wanted to try the brand name or and she said no we can't help you. I asked if she or the Dr. could call my insurance company and explain that I need this brand name drug not generic, but because she was so stuck in her own believing that generic is the same thing, the conversation went no where. I was very frustrated with her & how she handled the situation. Not liking how the conversation went with his nurse, I waited a few days (over the weekend) and contacted them again asking for someone other than Michelle to speak with. I was transferred to the office manager, Carol. I explained to her the above situation, she was going to talk with the Dr. and get back to me by the end of the day, which will be two weeks this coming Tuesday. As a matter of fact, I've put in three more phone calls going on now two weeks but nobody is returning any of them. During the last almost two weeks of waiting for a phone call back I was having serious withdrawal (from going off the medication) side affects but didn't know as I was unable to ask them questions on what I was feeling as nobody is calling me back - ended up going to my primary this past Thursday and discovered my blood pressure was at a ridiculous low and I had been walking around doing my normal routine with a scary low blood pressure. So basically this office put a brain injury patient on a medication that gave me side affects on it and now off of it but because they are so difficult get help from, left a brain injury patient walking around having serious side affects to a medication and not even realize it. Very scary.

June 13th, 2013
I am in good hands
I have IIH/PTC and I am often not happy and uncomfortable when I go in to see Dr. Dolan. He treats me like a human being and a smart one at that. I fired my last Neurologist for "talking down to me" and Dr. Dolan "meets me" and always seems focused on me and not what else he could be doing in the moment or who is next. He does the Spinal Taps I need done right in the office with care and compassion. Very patient and Kind. I trust him - and he earned it. I am grateful for him and his awesome staff that put up with my phone calls of complaints and aliments or tears. They are wonderful. They always follow up with me after a procedure or a hospital stay or new medication. I feel cared for.

May 14th, 2012
Forced to get referral through Primary Care physician by staff
I'm a stroke victim. Must waste time and money on a PCP visit and referral in order to have Dr. Dolan write out a prescription for special exercise equipment. I've already seen Dolan on two occasions in the past, but according to his assistant it's been too long, four years since my last visit. I dropped my PCP four years ago because he wouldn't make hospital calls, even though I could literally see his office next door from my hospital room window at Southern Maine Med (same Dr.s park as Dolan). This is exactly why medical costs are so outrageous today. Everybody's a specialist and yet IMO nobody provides anything of any real value. Oh, the hospital stay? Admitted myself to the ER, diagnosed (correctly) by Dr. Foreman w a seizure on a Friday night. ER doc said they're typical right after strokes and said I should stay overnight for an MRI. I did. Four days later they did the MRI, 2 more days to read results; charged 2000 dollars a day. 13,000 dollars later they said I had suffered a seizure, prescribed a new med by a "hospitalist" (20 pills @ $346-take 3 a day for the rest of your life... I still have that ridiculous prescription framed on my bureau!) and I drove myself home. No seizures since. What a country.