Dr. John Elkas MD Patient Reviews

• Gynecologic Oncology Washington, DC

no change

September 10th, 2016
Bad Communication
I agree with the last comment. It fascinates me that such a brilliant surgeon - who saved my life - will put up with such an uncommunicative front office staff. When I was in his care, it was like pulling teeth to get information from his office, make an urgent appointment or ask to speak with Dr. Elkas.

August 2nd, 2016
After initially making the appointment for my mother for which they had a six week wait time, they called me to change it a week later than originally scheduled. That was fine except the day of the appt I drove all the way from my home in WV, picked my mother up in Centreville to make a 9:30 am appt. When we arrived we were told that Dr. Elkas was out all week and that someone should have called but they DIDNT. The wait time trying to set up the appt to begin with was almost 20 minutes before I actually spoke to someone to schedule! Needless to say I will find another doctor for my 82 yr old mother!!!!

May 18th, 2014
go elsewhere!
Rushed-not a very warm bedside manner-I was in pain for months after surgery and I could never get any help from him or the office

June 3rd, 2013
Brilliant!
Dr Elkas came very highly recommended by my OB/GYN. Brilliant surgeon!! Office staff terrific!!

May 8th, 2012
Needs a Staff Overhaul
I agree w. the comments about Dr. Elkas' front office staff. They come in late, dress poorly, tough roughly and give a bad first impression of his practice. And why, I ask myself, when it isn't necessary. There are so many well qualified people who could take over.And yes, Dr. Elkas could spend more time w. his patients on the day of surgery - before and after. No one is that busy...

May 7th, 2012
Wonderful surgeon. I was amazed he was able to do my hysterectomy vaginally with my scar tissue. Bedside manner needs work. Saw him briefly before surgery but not at all after. Business office seems fly by night. I get a bill that is actually a photo copy from Mid Atlantic Pelvic that directs payment to Northern Virgina Pelvic and doesn't even include envelope for payment. What's up with that? Makes them look so unprofessional.

February 19th, 2012
Finally someone who knows and cares!
I had a history of being misdiagnosed, not diagnosed and the entire nightmare I learned of my issues by going online! I went to Dr Elkas and within one week he had me in the hospital removed the cancer and literally saved my life. He is very personable and an excellent friend to you when you are sick!Saved my life!

July 25th, 2011
AS far as him knowing his medicine he is great, he knew what the problem was as soon as he looked at my test results. His bed side manors need to be worked on. The only time I saw him was in his office a week before my surgery. My surgery date was changed 3 times, and my pre opt was also changed several times. The day I was to be released from the hospital he never came to see how I was doing, he called to say everything looks great you can go home now. Talk about poor service. Its only been a week since my surgery and i'm still in some pain. I'm not sure if that is normal or what.I had a vaginal hysterectomy and I expect some pain still, but not like this.

October 1st, 2010
Highest recommendations
He knows his stuff and is respected by patients and those in the medical world. He dealt well with my fears,concerns, readily answered all my husbands & my questions. He is a good listener; made us feel like part of a team. The entire office,lab care. Just what you need when your diagnosed with the big "C" and trying to grab hold of it all.Was easy to have faith in him.

September 15th, 2010
Does NOT return calls
Dr. Elkas recommend that my mother needed to have a procedure. He said that someone would contact her to schedule an appointment. She waited over a week for anyone from this office to call her back. She then called the office 6 times. 4 out of the 6 times, nobody returned her call. The other 2 times that she called, a receptionist said that the doctor was busy with an emergency surgery, and someone would contact her the next day. She was STILL not given the courtesy of a returned phone call. My brother called yesterday. He was told that he would recieve a call the following day; he has not heard back yet. My mother could have a potentially life threatening condition, and nobody in this practice will be kind enough to simply return a phone call. My brother and I would like her to find another doctor, but she is insistent. I find it very difficult to believe that any one practice can be this busy in four weeks that they cannot call a patient back. Time cannnot be wasted when one is dealing with the cancer; every day..time is wasting, and her health could be getting worse. I are VERY upset and disgusted with this entire situation. We are going to call yet again tomorrow...we will see what happens.

March 5th, 2010
The Best
Hey look it this guy is good really good. If you want you best shot at recovery see him. God bless

January 27th, 2010
It is very rare anymore that you have the doctor call and leave you a message with test results. It was great to hear good news and that it came from my doctor. He is wonderful.