Obstetrician & Gynecologist, Internist
10215 Fernwood Rd
Ste 250
Bethesda, MD 20817
301-530-2235
Locations and availability (1)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  An expert with real heart but outwardly not easy to read  |  show details
by T. T. on May 13th, 2013

Its as simple as this: If you need someone who is very communicative and warm and fuzzy, this is probably not the doc for you. He took excellent care of me during my complicated pregnancy and made sure I was followed up on properly in the hospital after delivery. One nurse at Sibley told me confidentally that while people seem to think Dr. Gschwend is distant or cold, in fact of all the OB's she works with "he cares the most". That is an exact quote. I can tell you that he _does_ have a sense of humor, but his affect is very dry and his voice does not have much inflection. You kind of have to "get" him, and I am kind of expert in dealing with nerds, which this man absolutely is socially. But he and I have a definite give and take humor wise and the warmth that is in him is visible to me. I will also tell you my first visit with him was totally odd- he was being distracted by phone calls and weird stuff that he was not handling smoothly. Socially he may not be the most adept at meeting patient expectation but if you have a complicated pregnancy you want this man in the trenches with you. That smile you see in his photo- that actually reflects who he is on the inside quite well. But dont be surprised if when you visit you get confused by his deadpan demeanor!

|  Calm, quiet, and Warms up and very knowledgeable  |  show details
Apr 22nd, 2013

He seems a little socially anxious - All info and quiet at first - but warmed up and was very Informative and even had a little dry humor by end. We really liked him by the end Of the appointment. My friend thinks he's the greatest. I have confidence in his knowledge and clinical decision making. He has a calming manner and his pelvic exams were quick and gentle.

|  Excellent service and Knowledge  |  show details
Jul 16th, 2012

Dr. Gschwend is the most personable and best OBGYN that I ever had!

|  The worst doctor EVER!!!!!!  |  show details
Jan 25th, 2012

Do not pick this doctor, please. I wish I knew how bad he was before, but I didnt have anyone to ask. I made the appointment because I needed immediate care, but wont do it again in my life. HE treated me like a DOG! after the visit I felt so awful that I couldnt stop crying...After all the painful procedures he did (that actually were unnecessary), he didnt find anything.

|  show details
Jan 25th, 2011

He has no bedside manner and no sense of humor, but he does know what is going on. He saved my baby when I went into labor halfway through my pregnancy.

|  Incompetent office  |  show details
Nov 9th, 2010

Awful and worst experience ever. This is the Dr. who is going to deliver my baby? I think not!!!! Dr. Gschwend has no bed-side manners and really doesn't care about his patients. He doesn't answer or ask you any questions. I always leave his office upset and humiilated. I go for my prenatal exam and leave without a due date or sonogram. What kind of place are you people running??? I have since changed offices and Doctors and couldn'e be happier.

|  Choose another DR!!!  |  show details
by MMOORE on Jul 21st, 2010

From start to finish my experience with John Gschwend was awful. I went in July 2010 to have an IUD put in and he question me for a very very long time about my motives and got too personal and questioned me about things that had nothing to do with the procedure. To make matters worse half way in to the procedure he asked me the same questions as if he had forgotten. He was far from prompt and scolded and barked at the nurses right in front of me. He is old school thinking and I do not know why he is practicing. He treated me like a number and didn't even shut the door behind him when he came in or during the procedure even though I had asked, and when he had finished he just left without telling me he was done so I was just lying there on the table and finally I called a nurse and asked if I was done and she said yes. He neglected to tell me to take motrin before the insertion and he did not answer or address my concerns, we would change the question and answer the one he had formulated. At the end of the appointment I called the practice back to speak with a nurse because I still had so many questions he had not answered. He also gave me a pack of bc pills as I walked out of the office and said to take them, I asked why because I had just had an IUD put in....his response," oh they must be for someone else" really? He should not be practicing because he has no sense of patient care and did not address a single question of mine and quite frankly made me very uncomfortable. I have had my insurance transfer my charts for my follow-up visit to another practice because I do not wish to ever see that pseudo doctor again.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Nov 11th, 2009

His sense of humor is extremely dry, but light hearted. I always felt in good hands with all three deliveries. I never felt rushed, and would I would think something was wrong, he would do due diligence and run some tests. I always had peace of mind with him.

|  Great so far...  |  show details
Mar 26th, 2009

Yeah, his sense of humor is a little dry, but we think it's great. His beside manner may not the mushy, huggy-feely type but in all honesty, our focus was getting an experienced, knowledgeable, reliable doctor. In other words, I wasn't looking to have my Mom deliver my baby but a highly trained professional and that's what we got with Dr. Gschwend. In the beginning I would feel a little rushed when asking questions, but I think that was my own self-consciousness being a first time mom. I quickly got over that and made it a point to take as much time as I needed to get all my questions and concerns answered. Dr. Gschwend never cut me off or commentted that I was taking too much of his time. Our experience has been great so far...I will come back and post additional comments after I deliver...

|  Poor care, plus charge for every script change  |  show details
Mar 6th, 2009

I have always felt rushed when visiting this doctor. In addition, I felt as if my questions and concerns were dismissed by him. However, nothing compares to receive a bill for $30 for a phone conversation (approx. 5 min) to change my prescription.