Dr. John Gunderson MD Patient Reviews

2.4
  • 5 reviews

March 22nd, 2016
Unprofessional and Unscientific
He had staff pull me out of bed at McLean's Short Term Unit and bring me upstairs, where he interrogated me in front of a bunch of students. He offered a poorly thought out diagnosis after only talking with me for 7 minutes, billed me 300 dollars, and sent me back downstairs. I am a licensed mental health clinician, and I would never act with the same negligence as this so-called professional. Individuals like him are the reason Psychology has such a difficult time maintaining legitimacy in the public eye over scientific fields such as Neuroscience and Behaviorism.

June 13th, 2013
He's wonderful. Honest but wonderful.
I love Dr. Gunderson. Ive seen him for quite a while now and I can state without reservation that he has changed my life. He's sometimes harsh but every time I have left his office upset I get home and realize "oh god, he's right." He sees through facades and falsity. He's a brilliant, funny and ultimately very caring. I have been in outpatient at Mclean, and in my experience those who don't like him are irked by his advice--often they don't want to hear what he has to say--which is brutally honest. He never panders. It's not him, it's them--a combination of textbook BPD hypersensitivity and the tragic state of denial that so many patients make their home. There are many patients at McLean who do love him. i know them well. Thank you Dr. G.

September 5th, 2011
If you are a parent looking for help with in an adult child suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder, read his publictions. They are excellent. I strongly suggest you don't however, make an appointment to see him. See someone else.

January 2nd, 2011
May be a good theoretician, but a dangerous clinician
Dr. Gunderson saw me for about an hour when I was in a fragile condition. Without knowing much about me, he proceeded to shred my then-little self-esteem and to pass judgment on things about which he knew nothing. Having not been suicidal previously, I left the meeting with him in a dangerous condition.He was hostile and vindictive. Similar opinions of him were universal among patients I knew at McLean; I spent a year as an outpatient there and never met a patient who didn't loathe him, though doubtless there were some.

July 2nd, 2010
Dr. John G Gunderson Supports Violent Misogynists.
It gets pretty nasty at Harvard. Avoid it. The doctors are too worried about their careers to provide comprehensive care to the public. They refuse to ...