Allergy & Immunology Specialist, Internists, Rheumatologist
1105 Central Expy N
Ste 230
Allen, TX 75013
972-747-0709
Locations and availability (3)

Some ratings provided by DrScore. CitySearch.
by Lynda W on Sep 24th, 2013

Dr. Lavery is wonderful and has helped me with all of my needs. His staff is very helpful and I appreciate ALL of them

Aug 20th, 2012

He has so many patients, heards them in/out. I feel dismissed. Office staff has changed - much better. His assistants are so rushed, they forget requests. Call back often. Time to, yet again, find a new rheumy.

Apr 11th, 2012

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Lavery. He is amazing as a Dr. I can't say much for his office staff. I have never dealt with someone as rude and inconsiderate to my needs as Mary his front desk receptionist. I hate walking in to his office or calling for fear that I have to deal with her before I can get someone who actually knows what's going on, on the phone. She thinks she can make nursing and medical decisions, when in fact she has no clue. Stephanie one of the Medical Assistants does a great job in filling prescriptions and following up with the patients. Dr. Lavery as a Dr. is great. His office manager the new gentleman in the office is not very pleasant either.

|  Awful, Awful Receptionist EVER!!!  |  show details
Apr 9th, 2012

I have been seeing Dr. Lavery for about 4-5 yrs. He's really caring, but I think he suffers from ADHD. Always seems to be up on the latest info, meds for your condition. Now for the worst part! When I started there, I truly LOVED all the office staff. In fact we wanted to move from the area but decided its sooo hard to find dr office that has it all. So we stayed. One by one, the turn-over has been unbelievable! If it weren't for Stephanie and Vanessa I'd be outa there. Mary Is unbelievably Awful, Bizarre, And Oh So Exasperating! And the office manager is just as BAD. He actually called & chewed me out because my husband stopped by to pick-up a Rx instead of me. He was actually yelling at me on the phone. So, I'm not sure I would ever recommend this office to anyone. If it weren't for the doc and the closeness to my home, I would find a new doc. After writing this review, I'm mad all over again. Maybe I will start looking.

|  Worst office staff -rude&clueless,not worth it to get to the Dr.  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2011

Dr Lavery seemed Like a caring Dr. But I don't trust the staff to get anything right. Mistakes are so frequent I was appalled. I have all the information I need to make a good decision. Never going back!!!! Scared in Allen Tx.

|  Dr Laverys office staff on another plannet  |  show details
by Jilloy at Citysearch on Oct 10th, 2011 on citysearch.com

Worst office staff receptionist I have ever dealt with. One of them Mary is the worst case of being on another planet I have ever seen. Seems to go out of their way to slow things up. The Dr was ok, but I`ll never go back. I thought the negative reviews couldn`t be right !!! Was I ever wrong!

|  Very polite & caring  |  show details
Aug 26th, 2011

I have been a patient of Dr. Lavery's since 2001. He is very thorough and if he has any doubt he will recommend a doctor in a different field. My husband goes with me 9 out of 10 times & Dr. Lavery is very cordial with him also. Every once in a while his professional shell cracks and a joke comes out. He is a human being and a very professional dr. I would recomment him to my family anyday. He has been very good at filling out any disablity forms that are requested. I would be lost without him in the area.

|  Good Dr.  |  show details
Jul 6th, 2011

I think Dr. Lavery does a pretty good job at managing my lupus. He does listen to my wishes and helps in every way he knows how.

|  Dr. John P. Lavery, McKinney TX  |  show details
Jun 30th, 2011

What I like about Dr. Lavery is he actually cares about the welfare of his patients. His nursing staff Stepanie and Vanessa go above and beyond in calling back after talking to Dr. Lavery and following up with questions. They always call in presciptions as needed right away. Suffering from Sjorgens and fibromyalgia Dr. Lavery is always willing to explore diffent options. And always willing to make changes in medications when necessary. He is always willing to reach out to other physicians outside his specialty. He always makes sure his patients are seen in an expediant manner. He was able to correct my autoammune diseases that were misdiagnosed by another rheumatoligist.

Jun 4th, 2011

Dr. Lavery is both a fine physician and a gentleman. He always asks what is of greatest concern to me and, then, makes every effort to effectively treat the condition. He cares.

|  Incompetent, Unprofessional, Rude  |  show details
Jan 12th, 2011

Dr. Lavery was extremely condescending in each of my 3 appointments with him for my then undiagnosed polyarthritic type joint pain at age 21. He and his staff constantly broke HIPPA regulations, using a chat program to discuss and belittle other patients on a monitor I could easily see during my examination. The insulation between exam rooms is nonexistant, allowing patients to hear other exams very clearly. After holding for 30 minutes, each of my calls for test results, medication questions (I often found his prescriptions conflicted with my other prescriptions or were the worst possible choices given my other medical problems) or scheduling would be met with a promise of a call back. These promises were literally never upheld. I'd call multiple times in the course of a week to get one simple question answered. I eventually got a grammatically incorrect form letter informing me I did not have an inflammatory arthritis but that I probably have psoriatic arthritis. PsA IS an inflammatory arthritis. After a few unanswered calls for clarification, I cancelled all further appointments. Six months later, I received a sizable bill because Dr. Lavery charged my insurance company twice for the same test on the same day. The billing office said I only just now got the bill because they were, "out of stamps." I can't even make that level of incompetence and poor business management up. I'm not sure if my young age factored into my poor treatment by this man and his staff, but steer clear. My dealings with this doctor represent my worst medical experience but also my worst customer service experience, period.

|  Great Rheumatologist!!  |  show details
Nov 22nd, 2010

I recently moved to the Dallas area and was having a difficult time finding a rheumatologist that could see me in less than a month, this office got me an appt in 10 days! The staff was courteous and Dr.Lavery spent 20 minutes in the room addressing my questions and concerns. Another plus is they do labs in the office!

|  Do not use this office  |  show details
by justagirl05 at Citysearch on Aug 11th, 2010 on citysearch.com

The doctor is really nice as far as treating you and talking to you he has a heart, but he and his staf are the most unorganized people I have every met. They say a perscription will be filled you tell them you will be there at a certain time and they say ok, and then you get there they say its not filled which its been 5-7 hours already and so you sit there for ever in a day and then you go back up to the window and they say well its still not filled yet I didnt tell you to ocme get it can tke up to 24 hours, um hello why didnt you tell me when I got there so I didnt have to sit and wait why didnt you tell me that on the phone 8 hrs ago when I said I was on my way, the staff is completely rude, they do not care about their job or their patients you can tell they do not want to be there. They with hold information that is helpful its like you have to question the hell out of them for the info. They waste everyones time, energy, gas, breath, they wasting everything possible because they are just really bad staff. Its sad that the docotor can be so good but hire such horrible staff The office is clean and nice as well.

Jul 11th, 2010

Dr. Lavery is very intelligent and nice. He is also very knowledgeable in his fields and will try to help you above and beyond what many other doctors will do. He is kind of on the quiet side, but don't let that fool you! He is also very professional and so is his staff. (Except for Vanessa, she can be rude sometimes. There's always one in the crowd.) I've been his patient since the late '90s and I am very satisfied. I recommend him highly!

|  Very thorough doctor  |  show details
by Allen1999 at Citysearch on Feb 29th, 2008 on citysearch.com

I have been seeing Dr. Lavery for more than 10 years. Some years pass and I don`t need him at all and other years, I have to see him several times. I like that he always remembers me and things that have occured in my life. He may read the chart before I get there, but he always seems sincere and genuine in our conversations. He comes off a little intense but I think he is the most thorough doctor I have ever seen. What he has mastered is efficiency. He can be quick and get the job done and still get everything I need accomplished. I heard he is really starting to restrict patients to just his specialities and limit the GP stuff, but he is top notch in my book.

by Allen1999 on Feb 29th, 2008 on citysearch.com

I have been seeing Dr. Lavery for more than 10 years. Some years pass and I don't need him at all and other years, I have to see him several times. I like that he always remembers me and things that have occured in my life. He may read the chart before