3.0

Review of dr. John Gilbert show details Review of dr. John Gilbert
by Halina Goetz on Feb 25th, 2015

I have been seeing doctor Gilbert for 20 years. I chose him to be my doctor after shopping for a while for a doctor after I learned I had diabetes, and it was twenty years ago. Since I teach mathematics at a university the most important feature for me it was if he was the doctor who likes to think, a doctor who likes a challenge, a doctor who thinks analytically and scientifically. I saw several doctors before him. He caught my attention since he was eager to answer my questions, he liked my questions, and he saw a complexity of my questions. His answers were very deep and he saw many aspects of a problem. This was the doctor I was looking for. I have been under his care for twenty years. He was passionate about his profession and he still is. He was friendly and still is. The fact that sometimes I wait longer in the waiting room then I would like to, so what? Is it the most important thing? I found it amusing, sad and shocking when people write in their evaluations that they have to wait longer then they would like to. That is not the most important when you evaluate your doctor. What is the most important it is I trust him, I believe in him, and he makes my life much easier. I feel protected. He remembers all the facts regarding my diabetes and my thyroid nodules, and is very organized when it comes to routine tests I have every year. When I call him, he calls back. He records his massage on my answering machine, but calls the next day to check if I got the massage. Is it easy to find a doctor like him? I am not so sure about that. Doctor Gilbert is always on top of his field. I can tell he reads a lot. Moreover, he shares with a patient what is the new research just showed regarding diabetes. To evaluate a doctor is not easy if the evaluator cannot see a broader picture of his or her doctor. We cannot concentrate on details, but we need to know what makes a doctor a good doctor. Many people have many different opinions of what a good doctor is. My doctor, dr. Gilbert treats me seriously, devotes time to me, is knowledgeable, likes a complex case, is not afraid of that, is open to discussion, and in my opinion is doing what he wants to do in his life. He wants to help people. I am very, very happy I chose him as my doctor a long time ago. I often talk to my students about him. I give him as an example of a doctor who liked science as a young man and I was able to notice it twenty years ago since the way he thought was an example of not just thinking but scientific thinking that needs to follow certain patterns. They have never seen him, but they know him. Some of them will be doctors in the future. I would recommend dr. Gilbert to everybody for whom what is important in a good doctor matters, not unimportant details, that may even be true, but they do not count at all when it comes if a person is under care of a good doctor. I am a lucky woman I can be under his care.

Dr Gilbert is a Genius show details Dr Gilbert is a Genius
by Stanley Clark on Jul 9th, 2014

Dr Gilbert , I am sure has added years to my life. He has all of my important blood and urine numbers on the low side of all ranges. He has a bed side manor like I have never seen in today's Doctor.He is more like a friend and advisor than any Doctor I have delt with in the past. I would Highly refer him to family and friends as well as the general public.

DON'T TRUST show details DON'T TRUST
Jul 19th, 2012

I'AM AFRAID TO GO TO THIS DOCTOR IT MAY BE MAY LAST ONE I DON'T THINK HE CARES HIS MADE HIS MONEY SOME TIMES HE JUST DON'T SEEM LIKE HIS SELF. I FEEL HIS MIND IS SOME WHERE ELSE.AND HE LOOKS AT YOU BUT DON'T HEAR YOU. GOD HELP HIS PATIENCES.

Mean. show details Mean.
Feb 19th, 2012

This guy does not take any time to listen to you. He is mean, uncaring, and doesn't believe you when you aren't feeling well. He was incredibly rude to us. I won't be seeing him again.

Nice guy but... show details Nice guy but...
Jan 10th, 2012

I went to Dr Gilbert when my PA found a lump on my thyroid. After a needle biopsy came back normal Dr Gilbert says "If it continues to grow and gets ugly, we'll take it out." I said, " I want it out now" and Dr Gilbert agreed with this and got it through so my insurance paid. For this I will be forever grateful because it turned out to be papillary thyroid cancer! I was only 39 so my prognosis was and is excellent but bottom line people is do your research! I found out needle biopsy is only reliable if done with and ultra sound (ultra sound guided) which Dr Gilbert did not do! From there on out, although he is very personable, i felt rushed through my appointments. I tried to make my appointments the first one in the morning or first after lunch and he still made me wait one sometimes 2 hours! How does that happen if he's only spending 5 mins per pt? Once I went in there with a list of questions on a note pad and he left to take a phone call and didn't come back! The nurse wouldn't even go get him, she wanted me to leave her the questions and she would ask them and call me back! That was my last appointment, my regular MD/PA agreed to keep up my routine follow up appointments and write my Rx.

Dec 1st, 2011

Wait times do seem to be long not only in the waiting room but waiting for Dr. Gilbert in the exam room.

Waiting 2 months for my appt... show details Waiting 2 months for my appt...
Nov 15th, 2011

To be fair, I haven't even seen him yet for my first appt, but wow, based on the comments that I've read so far, I'm not looking forward to my first appt. I'd change docs based just on these comments-they're not great. But of course I'm limited in choice of docs and my condition warrants an endo. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things are better than what I'm reading and will try to remember to report back.

He's got Personality, BUT... show details He's got Personality, BUT...
Sep 19th, 2011

I've been seeing Gilbert every 3-6 months for more than 6 years and thru 2 office moves. The newest move seems to have improved the overall waiting time - which was ALWAYS at least an hour in the waiting room and about 45 minutes in the exam room, for your 5 minutes of time with him. He has left my visits MANY times for a sudden phone call. Actually, the phone calls and drug reps seem to take precedence over the patients who are there in person. The office staff leaves a lot to be desired. None of them seem to enjoy what they are doing and it shows. They are all very somber, some of them are down right un-friendly. They are probably stressed to the max by trying to get the backed up line of patients through. Again, that seems to have improved some with the newest office move (mid to late 2010). But none of them could be accused of having a bubbly personality. As a person, he is enjoyable and friendly, easy to engage in conversation, a bit too casual at times. BUT as a doctor, I am always left wondering. My condition is very likely to lead to, if not already be, cancerous and his casual approach to that unnerves me at times. I really feel like 50% of the time he looks at my chart and remembers what we were doing about it. The other 50% of the time it's as if I'm a new patient and having to remind him that my case is not just routine. I would guess that if I just had a straight forward diagnosis of diabetes, all would be fine. For routine thyroid disorders he's probably fine too. But for thyroid CANCER, I'm not all that confident that my developing cancer won't be missed/ignored until the next 6 month check...or two or three or FOUR. Proceed with caution.

Aug 30th, 2011

Hi? Dr. John Gilbert? It is me, Shirley, Jr. I am great fine. I tell you, when I was be there in X-ray mean is U. sevce over my neck. I done it. make sure you will check in U.S. over my neck. I still great pills are work prefect it. and I keep lots exersie my body weight will slow down mean is weight off 10 pound. I keep more do it my best. Thank you I try look for your email need information you want know about it. but My dog Marco is fine! friend, Shirley Broome,Jr. & Marco (serve dog) smile! give you my email my home siselfs@aol.com. :-)

Get you in and get you out show details Get you in and get you out
by Frustrated in Fullerton on Sep 22nd, 2010

He is very knowledgeable as a doctor. He's been at this a long time, and he definitely knows what he's talking about. But I've been in to see him three times now, and only once was the wait to see him actually shorter than an hour. Once I waited 1 hr and 40 min... for an appointment that turned out to be less than 5 min long once I actually got in there! I don't know how things get so backed up in his office. But, beyond that, I didn't really feel like he took time to listen. Just hurry up and get out the door. Now, maybe he recognized that, because I'm only 30 years of age and in relatively good health overall, he needed to speed through to "more pressing" patients. Sort of a triage thing. I can't fault that. Now, all this being said, of the two endocrinology docs there at St. Jude Bastanchury, Gilbert is definitely the better of the two. But I can't say I'm quite pleased objectively.

Dec 18th, 2009

Hes very nice yet seems to brush you off a bit.. rushes the appointment.

Mar 18th, 2009

My husband's doctor is arrogant, habitually VERY late, and seems dismissive of a patient.