Dr. John Mcelveen MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

July 26th, 2016
Excellent Ear Dr.
Hey is one of the finest ear Dr.s anywhere, he has operated on both of my ears when I was 19 & 20 yrs old. So I've known his a long while. He's very knowledgeable and he was able to immediately identify that I had a degenerative ear/hearing disease called otosclerosis. I have done checkups with him over the years with hearing tests monitoring the loss of the hearing, I've experienced, over time. He is very nice, professional and will answer all your questions. he is still in high demand, so make appts. as early as you can!

March 2nd, 2016
Bad experience.
I had two visits with Dr. McElveen and also had some tests done at another visit. He totally misdiagnosed me, trivialized my symptoms, and told me to just get a cane because I will never get my balance back. I went to another specialist who did additional tests, was able to help me and my balance is fine. Dr. McElveen seemed uninterested in my case, was dismissive of my concerns, did not want to answer any questions and left at one point to take a phone call and didn't return. Combine that with a misdiagnosis and that is exactly what you do not want in a doctor. The comments in a earlier email about his community service has nothing to do with his ability to correctly diagnose and care for his patients.

October 15th, 2015
Conductive hearing loss from hole in eardrum for many years
Dr McElveen operated on my ear about 7 years ago. My hearing loss which was debilitating returned to normal shortly after the surgery and remains great after 7 years. Thank you Dr, McElveen for your specialized knowledge , your hard work and for being my doctor!!! WONDERFUL RESULTS !!!

January 23rd, 2015
I HAD WORN HEARING AIDS FOR 15 YEARS AND SUGERY, DR MCELVEEN AND STAFF ARE AWESOME I'M STILL ENJOYING BEING ABLE TO HEAR AND ITS BEEN ALMOST 10 YEARS

June 30th, 2014
Have been seeing Dr. McEvleen since 2009 for meniere's disease. Do what he tells you and you will get great results

May 7th, 2014
Acoustic Neuroma Removed Oct. 29, 2013
Wanted to take a moment to review McElveen fairly. When I was first diagnosed with my acoustic neuroma and sent to McElveen, I to thought the same some of these other people are saying. But I quickly realized, I can deal with his personality if he's as good as they say he is at surgery. I knew he was a busy man and didn't have a lot of time, but if he could do my surgery the best, I didn't care how long I had to wait around in his office, or when he was and wasn't working. He performed my surgery on oct 29, 2013. He worked on removing a 2cm x 5cm AN growing on my hearing nerve up to the brain. He worked on me for 7 hours before another surgeon(Fukushima) worked on me for 1 hr making sure I didn't have any facial nerve damage. I woke up with no side effects other than the one I knew of, which is loss of hearing on left side, already had before surgery. I have been offered the whole thing about hearing devices but at only 29 years old I can hear just fine out of one ear right now, so I can't review him on that. All I'm saying, you may wait around a little while when you go see him at the office, but who cares. He's excellent at what he does and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't be doing it with any other surgeon than McElveen. So, If you are ever diagnosed the a brain tumor, etc that he can remove, let him. He won't be the most personable or sugar coat anything for you, but he was great on removing my tumor with no side effects at all. I'm my book that all you should be looking for when you are diagnosed with these things. Hopes this helps out the rest of people having to make these decisions.

February 21st, 2014
He should not practice!!
I have had a terrible time with this man since 2010. Had acoustic neuroma removed in 2010 and BAHA placed. Had nothing but issues ever since. Finally begged him to remove BAHA which was done yesterday. Not only was he hours late in surgery that left my surgery at 6:00pm!! He left after surgery and never spoke to my family. They had to "find" me. The recovery room nurse had to call him and have him paged. He also left no post op instructions.. I have tried and tried to give him the benefit of the doubt since he is "supposed" to be the best in this field. He has no concern whatsoever. I feel he is all about the money. Well what about the fact that he put me in financial medical ruin?? He could care less. I called the office many times and begged to speak with him personally. Nothing! I feel bad for his staff because they are so nice and try their best to be helpful. It matters not that he sponsors a camp for hearing impaired children. I thought this would make hi a compassionate person but he is FAR from it. I do not know how he sleeps at night.

November 13th, 2012
I wish more people took the time to say "thank you" to physicians who have dedicated their lives to making a difference in our health care. I greatly appreciate the care Dr McElveen has given me.

October 19th, 2012
neurotology vs. primary care
wow...I've been seeing this physician for over 10 years. This practice is a speciality and does get behind; however, I've never in all my visits experienced such as the comments listed above. This doctor is a surgeon and is in the OR 3 days a week. That person made it sound like he was on the golf course. Not only is this office busy but it does research for the good of us all and contributes to the good of the community. Ever heard of the non-profit Camp Woodbine which is part of the Carolina Ear Research Institute? The camp is free to children with hearing impairments and their families. You might want to take a better look at what goes on around your community vs making a blanket statement.

October 12th, 2012
Let me start off by saying I have never reviewed a doctor or office until now. I wish I would've known a few things before becoming a patient here. This is one of the WORST medical offices I've EVER been to. He triple and quadruple books his patients so HE won't have to wait for you. It is not uncommon to have a 2+ hour wait. He is only in the office on Mondays and Tuesdays so if you have a problem (say, STAPH infection in your head) and he isn't in the office, they tell you to go to the ER. VERY unprofessional and will NEVER go back.

September 14th, 2012
AmITooPicky
The staff is always friendly and helpful at this office. I had been seeing the other doctor, but he left for another practice. This was my first time seeing Dr. McElveen and he seemed very rushed and ready to get me out the door. He didn't introduce himself when he entered, which may be because he assumed I knew who he was. He asked if I had any questions, but I didn't feel that he listened to my concerns and was dismissive of some of my questions. I'm sure he knows his stuff, but his bedside manner is lacking.

May 21st, 2012
Worst experience ever
After going through a thousand plus dollar operation that didn't even promise to fix the roaring and ringing in my ears I did a check up to tell the doctor that nothing had changed and I am still suffering. After $80 and FIVE FULL HOURS total they told me they could do nothing for me and it was a chance I took and I have nerve damage. They forgot about me for 30mins to a hour TWICE and didnt give me any information that I was promised on the recommended hearing aid. AGAIN I can hear!!! that is not my problem. it seemed they were just trying to sell the product to me and they had no regard of my comfort or health. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. horrible.