Internist, Gastroenterologist (digestive)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by reannon burkhart on Apr 29th, 2015

One of the most caring physicians i have seen since Dr. Rossiter retired!!! absolutely love him and his staff

pleased and greatful show details pleased and greatful
Mar 27th, 2015

Dr. Northup is a very kind and caring person, and one of the smartest doctors I have every met. I would like to have a shorter wait time but I know when its my turn he is going to give me better quality medical care than i can receive any where. He has had some staff problems over the past few years, especially the front desk. That seems to be improving in the last few months. I love his PA she is very smart and caring. I think he has an office manager that is an older lady but seems to be very smart, she appears to care about the employees and the patients, she follows up with calls to the patients and holds Dr. Northup in highest regard. I was very supprised to get a phone call after a rescent (February) hospital stay from her just checking on me to make sure i was ok. I had to see another doctor and needed a referral. The referral person was so wonderful and called me the same day with an appointment. I just wanted to say thank you to Dr. Northup and his staff, expecially his PA, and his very caring Office Manager an d effecient referral person. I am 81 years old and my husband and i have seen Dr. Northup for about 25 years we think he is the best. I am so glad he has a good staff now. His nurse is great also.

Won't give up on finding out what's wrong with you. show details Won't give up on finding out what's wrong with you.
by Sazco on Jan 16th, 2014

Dr. Northup seems to really. Are about his patients. After being told I had anxiety and was crazy by many doctors I was about to give up. It took dr. Northup a few months and a Lot of tests but he believed that I was telling the truth and eventually found out what was really wrong. It was not all in my head and if it weren't for him believing in me I might still be giving up on doctors. His staff is awful with referrals and there seems to be a new 4 front office employees at every appt. but him and his nurse are worth the annoyance of dealing with his staff!!

Forever Grateful show details Forever Grateful
by Gabby on Oct 31st, 2013

The front desk receptionist can be quite negative and complains a lot including about the rest of the staff, but Dr.Northup is the most educated and knowledge physician in every medical field I ever come across. I had been seriously ill for over 7 months, had seen four other doctors in three states before I found him that could not diagnose me. He figured out in a matter of a few weeks after doing test. He is simply brilliant!! I am forever grateful to him!

BRILLIANT, CONCERNED, DEDICATED show details BRILLIANT, CONCERNED, DEDICATED
Jul 27th, 2012

Dr Northup is a brilliant doctor. He is compassionate and concerned about his patients. He leaves no stone unturned. He is accessible and kind. He has saved my Grandmother's life more than once. She is now 101. Our family loves him.Thelma, Betty and Debbie N.

Life Saver show details Life Saver
Mar 17th, 2012

I went to Dr. Northrup about two years ago, complaining that I felt a lot of pressure right above by stomach, like I was being tightly sweezed.I had had numerous of prior tests from Heart Doctor and my current internal medicine Doctor at the time, but none of the tests showed any problems.I took matters in my own hands and went searching for a specialist in gastrology.With my first appointment with Dr. Northrup I just knew I was in excellent hands.Dr. Northrup's first response to my description of my problem was:" Do not worry, we will find out what is wrong".He scheduled a colonostopy and an upper GI on me ASAP and found the problem thru the upper GI.Mass in the small intestines.Dr. Northrup right away, sent me to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fl. for more testing. They confirmed his findings and knew I needed surgery ASAP to remove the mass and see if it was cancerous.My son wanted me to have operation near him in Atlanta, so my surgery was scheduled at Emory Hospital and it was confirmed the mass was indeed cancer. The cancerous mass was totally removed and I was told I would not have to have chemo or radiation treatments due to Dr. Northrup's fast action on pin pointing the problem and getting me to Mayo clinic.Dr. Northrup continues to test me and keep a close watch over me, to make sure I stay cancer free.He absolutely is a true "life saver"if it had not been for his quick action, I would not be here today.Forever grateful,Judy Thurston

Dr. Northup saved my life show details Dr. Northup saved my life
Jan 14th, 2012

I became very ill two years ago. I was in the hospital twice for kidney failure I went to two doctors who dismissed me becaude they could not easily figure out wwas wrong with for eight months I sufferd feeling like I was dying. Dr. Northup took the time to listen to me and believed me because my symptoms were odd. He ran the right test that confirmed I had a rare tumor. I know if not for Dr. Northup I would not be here and I feel like my old self again!!!!

best doc in the southeast! show details best doc in the southeast!
Jan 12th, 2012

Dr. Northup is far more educated and experienced than most doctors I have encountered. His education speaks for itself. He spends as much time with you that is needed to assess your condition. He is by far the most kind and giving doctor I have ever met. He is personable and down to earth. I recommend him to anyone who values one one one care and problem solving! He saved my life and has been doing this for years and years. Thank you Dr. Northup for the caring sole that you are!

Office Staff Rude and Unorganized show details Office Staff Rude and Unorganized
Jul 22nd, 2011

I went to see this doc for 2 years. During this time I rung up over $10,000 in med bills with no answers. They would lose my files, pull up other peoples reports in my file and my blood work was never in. I would continuously have tests redone and not be able to find out the results. The doc was very good about spending time with me but that was the extent of it. I would not entrust my health with this office. I have since found another gastro and two polups were foumd. I am now wondering if they were over looked when he did my colonoscopy. I continued to have pain so I sought out another doc.

excellent doctor/poor office/terrible accounting show details excellent doctor/poor office/terrible accounting
by A.J. on Mar 22nd, 2009

as a doctor he is very conscienctious and does more rather than not enough.his office and acounting is in general very poorly run and the building and interior could use some major renovation.He tends to relay on his P.A. which of course are not doctors and are laking his expertise.I pay to see the doctor not the assistant.I am not seeing him anymore unless I have a problem that requires his specialty and I have to go to the hospital (which is first-rate ) and I see him personally.

Terrible experience show details Terrible experience
by Dolores M on Sep 24th, 2008

I was seeing this doctor for over 2 years and was inaccuratley diagnosed. The staff is the rudest I have ever encountered. When the doctor could not properly treat my illness he wanted to put me back in the hospital and start from day one as though I was a new patient. That is when I realized he didn't really know what he was doing and that I had better find another doctor. I asked for my medical records at which point the staff knew exactly what I was going to do and became even more rude....I was shocked that they could even get any ruder. The nurses are terrible! The only thing this office has ever had going for the was PA and that is it. The PA was the only person in this office that ever showed any concern for me and my problem. They never returned phone calls like they said they would and seemed very bothered when I called to inquire why no one returned my phone calls. Overall this office was a terrible experience and I wouldn't recommend them to ANYONE! This doctors answer to any problem was to stick a scope down one end or up the other....must be where all his money is made!

Would NOT recommend! show details Would NOT recommend!
by Judy O on May 2nd, 2008

I had to wait 3 hours in the waiting room because the doctor hadn't come in. (This isn't the first or second time!) Employees were rude. I was scheduled for bone scans, etc. and all I had was stomach issues. My insurance billing was incorrect.