Neurological Surgeon

4708 Alliance Blvd
Ste 645
Plano, TX 75093
972-964-8500
Locations and availability (5)

|  surgery i had done  |  show details
by allison g on Jan 7th, 2014

dr tomkins is alright be he liedto me after the surgeries ,he did not tell mei had a tumor in my neck and he did not tell me had nerve damage in my neck and cranium,my pain management dr told me because it showed on my xrays,he is not very truthful man,he told me i could not do eighty of activity.iblame him for lying to me and the other two doctors.

|  Grateful Patient  |  show details
by Sam Russell on May 15th, 2013

Everyone told me not to expect bedside manner with a neuro-surgeon. They are the very proficient brainiacs that do what they do and leave. Dr. Tompkins is a very proficient brainiac but is also a very sweet and wonderful person. He takes the time you need to understand and even took the time to tell me about one of his favorite Dilbert cartoons. Teamed with P.A. Jeff (sorry Jeff, I don't know your last name) and a great team of assistants, this was one of the best surgical experiences I've ever had. It was supposed to be a crazy, scary, dangerous experience but combined with the confidence they exuded, and instilled in me, it was a breeze. They returned a stumbling, clumsy older lady into the self-sufficient, independent, confident person she used to be. I am grateful I found him and I wouldn't go anyplace else.

|  Completely satisfied with outcome...  |  show details
Nov 6th, 2012

Had an ACDF procedure due to Spinal Stenosis and Dr. T. performed this in the Summer of 2011; am very pleased 18 months later though still some work to accomplish for "full" recovery. Yes at times it appeared that post-op visits were not as intimate and bedside manners waned but the Dr. idoes'nt have time to spoon feed all of his patients once he's comfortable with the progress. As pointed out by another, the Dr.'s PA is terrific throughout the whole process.

|  show details
Sep 19th, 2012

Everyone told me that neurosurgeons were just brainiacs with no people skills. Dr. Tompkins is a brainiac with more people skills than any other doctor I've met. He takes the time to chat and put you at ease - he even shared a rather lengthy joke! The entire staff seems to love him, as well; and they are very nice and friendly, too. Everybody wants him so it takes a little time to get your first appointment (depending on your circumstances, I'm sure.) I came to Texas in March and had my surgery in May (it took me a while to find him as I was starting from scratch.) I'm very pleased with Dr. Tompkins and his staff. As long as I have neuro-anything, he will be my doctor. I recommend him highly.

|  Having operation with Dr. but not thrilled with office staff  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2012

The few office staff I was in contact with did not seem to know what to do-that was scary. Hopefully Iam making the correct choice with the Doctor. He needs to clean house and hire people who truly want to work and seem caring.

|  Dr. T is a doctor because of his love of medicine , not money.  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2012

Dr Tompkins was very up front an honest and explained my condition in a way that was understandable to me and not in the least bit condescending. I have already recommended him to friend's. My father was a doctor as was his father and his father and I have worked in the medical field. There is always going to be someone you can't please, but De. Tompin's passion and genuine care for his patient comes through. His staff was very friendly and professional which is very important as they are the first impression of not only how the office is run, but how the doctor prefers his office be run. He did an excellent job on my procedure and I have complete faith that he will perform just as well on the next. Also, his PA is the bomb!!!

|  Good surgeon but...  |  show details
Sep 6th, 2011

I had surgery with Dr. Tompkins last year and while the outcome was ok, I feel that he and his staff could be doing a lot better in terms of patient communication. I felt that once I was operated on I was pretty much on my own. Communication with their office is tedious and to get a return phone call takes a few days on average - not particularly helpful when one just had surgery and needs a question answered. Tompkins himself is more or less aloof and done with the patient as soon as he's gone over the usual spiel. Jeff, his nurse practitioner, is much more approachable and takes more time. But again, all that pretty much ends once the surgery has taken place. Office staff is rude and generally not compassionate to people in severe pain - especially Dora. Ugh. Every time I had to call their office I was glad when I could hang up again. All in all I would not go there again and rather try to find a good surgeon AND good communication.

|  The wok of Dr. John Tompkins  |  show details
May 26th, 2011

Two years ago, Dr. Tompkins placed a VP-shunt to treat and relieve my hydrocephalus. It was successful. He operated on me earlier this week to relieve my spinal stenosis by means of a cervical laminectomy. It too is successful. He is an excellent neuro-surgeon in my opinions.

|  Dr is very good But!  |  show details
Jul 14th, 2010

His office staff and the office manager are in the wrong profession. They should be working at the morgue. For people in severe pain and discomfort should never be greeted by these people especially the office manager I feel every time I talk with her I feel I am truly bothering her. She is not why i go there its Dr Tompkins who is great she on the other hand has not one ounce of compassion in her at all. I have almost left him because of her alone terrible staff.

|  The Top Doctor I have found for my needs  |  show details
by Freida Castillo on Mar 26th, 2010

My experience with Dr Tompkins have beer Great.Very professional and takes all the time needed for your treatment.Puts me at ease since cervical surgery has been a life long fear.He makes me feel that I have nothing to worry about.I feel He is The Best there is and is #1 on my list

|  poor office staff  |  show details
Jul 12th, 2008

Here I am 6 days after visiting the DR's office and his staff hasn't been able to arrainge an apt for an MRI... I called them yesterday and it appears as though my call "reminded" them of their assigned task. In the mean time I take a handfull of narcotics each day and live in significant stenosis generated pain.....